Steelmen Online Motherwell Photo Thread

David

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Anyone remember why this final close season early 70s tour game in Columbia was cancelled?

is it a different tour to the summer of 1976 ?

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/club/history/through-the-years/

During the close season the club under took a trip to Mexico, Haiti and Columbia. The tour started in the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City, where Ian Taylor scored in a 2-1 defeat to Toluca. In the second game in Haiti, Isaac Farrell scored the winner in a victory over Violette. In the third game against Racing of Haiti, Ian Kennedy was the scorer in a 2-1 defeat. The final game saw Willie Pettigrew score in 2-1 loss to Santa Fe of Columbia.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Motherwell 2 Rangers 2 in Feb 1961 at Fir Park.
Max Murray scores for Rangers in the Scottish Cup 4th Round, watched by over 33,000.

That would be the draw that led to the night the boys in blue got beat 5-2 by the boys in claret and amber. I reckon the number 11 was Bobby Roberts.

The colour picture of a game with Rangers would be Willie McCallum marking Colin Stein

2 hours ago, sinjy said:

My guess would be Charlie Aitken

Could/should be as per usual team of the time but I didn't think he was fair enough to be Charlie. Re the rest, yes, it is BR.  Andy Weir was still in hospital, I think.

"Willie McCallum marking Colin Stein": in oh so many ways! Ditto Peter Millar and Kenny D.

The ned haircuts of the Celtic Corinthians look strangely modern too.

Doing a wee project thing the now on Fir Park so looking for some information and pictures :

Any pictures of the glass doored entrance to the Phil O'Donnell stand? When was that added and when was the big badge and 'welcome to Fir Park' added to the windows at the stairwell?

When was the "keep cigarettes away from the match" sign first put up? 

30 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, I think thats Bertie Black. Could be either George Murray or Charlie Aitken but I'd plump for the former.

Thanks, Kmcalpin. I have an old Killie-supporting pal I should have consulted on this,  on reflection. Will see if I can get confirmation.

As a wee boy, my memory of Charlie Aitken *bows in respect* in the 60s was of this blond head towering above others at corners and powering in headers.

4 hours ago, CoF said:

Doing a wee project thing the now on Fir Park so looking for some information and pictures :

Any pictures of the glass doored entrance to the Phil O'Donnell stand? When was that added and when was the big badge and 'welcome to Fir Park' added to the windows at the stairwell?

when the seats first went into the East stand it wasn't there..... was still go for good health , on the press photos

http://www.motherwellnet.com/photos/misc/photos-in-and-around-fir-park/

3 hours ago, Brazilian said:

when the seats first went into the East stand it wasn't there..... was still go for good health , on the press photos

http://www.motherwellnet.com/photos/misc/photos-in-and-around-fir-park/

Thanks for that! Any idea of the year?

Also - anyone idea if the old Knowetop end turnstyles were flattened for the Chapman Building at the same time the Cooper Stand was built?

On 3/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, CoF said:

On part two the link with the Scottish Health Education Group started in the mid-eighties (you might remember the "Motherwell, Motherwell, Go for Good Health and be a Winner as Well" abomination) so there was health related stuff up across the ground from them on. 

I can remember, or at least have seen images  showing firstly an advert on the roof that something along the lines of "half way down Robertson Street" on.  The first SHEG advert that I can remember had something like "Go for Good Health and Get Fit for Life"  on the roof.  That was on it when the East Stand opened in 1991. "How Much Do you Cough Up for Cigarettes" was on it a few years after that.

After the Cooper was built the Main Stand and East Stand both got new facias for a more consistent look across four stands so on the basis that the Cooper opened in 1995 I'd say the change of signage would have come in the aftermath of that.  When exactly I couldn't say.

• Like 2