Steelmen Online Motherwell Photo Thread

David

19 hours ago, CoF said:

Thanks for that! Any idea of the year?

Also - anyone idea if the old Knowetop end turnstyles were flattened for the Chapman Building at the same time the Cooper Stand was built?

the work to seat the East stand (now John Hunter) began in May 1991   , some photos on Kats? site    http://www.motherwellnet.com/fir-park/

theres some surviving photos in an older steelmenonline photo thread also 

On 3/30/2020 at 7:05 PM, Andy_P said:

On part two the link with the Scottish Health Education Group started in the mid-eighties (you might remember the "Motherwell, Motherwell, Go for Good Health and be a Winner as Well" abomination) so there was health related stuff up across the ground from them on. 

I can remember, or at least have seen images  showing firstly an advert on the roof that something along the lines of "half way down Robertson Street" on.  The first SHEG advert that I can remember had something like "Go for Good Health and Get Fit for Life"  on the roof.  That was on it when the East Stand opened in 1991. "How Much Do you Cough Up for Cigarettes" was on it a few years after that.

After the Cooper was built the Main Stand and East Stand both got new facias for a more consistent look across four stands so on the basis that the Cooper opened in 1995 I'd say the change of signage would have come in the aftermath of that.  When exactly I couldn't say.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:12 PM, Brazilian said:

the work to seat the East stand (now John Hunter) began in May 1991   , some photos on Kats? site    http://www.motherwellnet.com/fir-park/

theres some surviving photos in an older steelmenonline photo thread also 

Brilliant, thanks to both of you! It's just the rough era I'm looking at so that's really helpful. 

For some reason I was in the enclosure in front of the main stand that night  and almost grat myself, but that was because I was laughing so much at Andy's marvellous efforts.

My only other visits there were for a Texaco Cup match (?) against Notts County and a game against The h**s when "Bomber" Brown deliberately drilled a hard clearance into the East stand. God knows what would have happened if he'd hit a wee kid. I was pretty disgusted by his behaviour that night.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

For some reason I was in the enclosure in front of the main stand that night  and almost grat myself, but that was because I was laughing so much at Andy's marvellous efforts.

My only other visits there were for a Texaco Cup match (?) against Notts County and a game against The h**s when "Bomber" Brown deliberately drilled a hard clearance into the East stand. God knows what would have happened if he'd hit a wee kid. I was pretty disgusted by his behaviour that night.

I was always in that enclosure beside the dugout when it was on right hand side coming out the tunnel. Met a lot of nice ladies in that area.:scout:

I'm the opposite. Wasn't a big fan of that Admiral template for the home shirt - it felt like loads of teams were using it.

Loved the change top, though, so swings and roundabouts I suppose. Remember a few great games under the Fir Park floodlights wearing that white kit (in the days when it was the home team that had to change).

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm the opposite. Wasn't a big fan of that Admiral template for the home shirt - it felt like loads of teams were using it.

Loved the change top, though, so swings and roundabouts I suppose. Remember a few great games under the Fir Park floodlights wearing that white kit (in the days when it was the home team that had to change).

Yes I agree weeyin we all have our favourite Motherwell playing kit from different era’s.

This was mine.

I have no recollection of this training shirt.

A picture taken in August 1991 features Motherwell manager Tommy McLean wearing an unusual claret patterned, Admiral training shirt with some subtle sky blue trim on the collar and Admiral lettering. 

Too much like Hearts for my liking, however, I wonder if it was considered as a potential away shirt at the time?
image.thumb.png.2ad37f480653eac206b719b869022c1b.png

On 4/20/2020 at 12:40 AM, SteelmaninOZ said:

The first picture is that Motherwell Cross? When it was one.

Yup, the shop to the left is now McDonald's, Claude Alexander was next to Woolworth's , the Horseshoe is to the right of the bus and it looks like the picture was taken from upstairs in what is now a Turkish barbers. The Post office was down from Claude Alexander and the best shop in Motherwell (Toytown) was above it, the second best shop (the Candy box) was directly across the road from the Post office, or at least that is the unbiased opinion of the seven year old me. :D

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...