Steelmen Online Motherwell Photo Thread

David

• 5 weeks later...

In 1982/83 Motherwell secured their first shirt sponsorship deal when brewery giant Scottish Brewers sponsored them. The SB logo was only permitted to be worn during non televised games. It was also the debut for our newly designed club crest.

Was this the first alcohol shirt sponsor in Scottish football?

image.thumb.jpeg.62c43bd82d732c3cd3aa80e4a6564d30.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 9:07 AM, Jumbomuir said:

Middle picture, wee Andys sign, 'keep off the grass" and he meant it!!!!!!! 

The first time I got a season ticket the women at the kiosk said just go out through the tunnel and over to the East Stand and when you decide what seat you want come back, so I went out the tunnel and walked across the pitch at the half way line.

I got about 30 or 40 feet across and Andy spied me.  Obviously went fucking ballistic! :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wishielad said:

Fond memories kindled by looking at this. Although remember Dixie smacking me in the face with the ball and bursting my nose as I sat on the wall at what is now the East Stand.

He must have mistook you for an opponent.  He liked a wee fight did Dixie. We were fleeced by Celtic when they signed him as usual. 

12 hours ago, well_said said:

He must have mistook you for an opponent.  He liked a wee fight did Dixie. We were fleeced by Celtic when they signed him as usual. 

Talking of "robust play", I remember Dixie was credited with the last shoulder charge goal in Scotland when he cowped the Dundee goalie over the line in a game at Fir Park. I was there but can't remember the GK's name. The incident took place at the Taggart's End. Anyone know  the custodian's name? Ally Donaldson?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

A bit of a ‘what if?’ photo fun. Sam Hynds adorns Motherwell’s first ever sponsored shirt.
1931-32 Woodbine kit.jpg

Wonderful mock-up which made me laugh, even in these dire times. I remember talking to an old-timer on the EK supporters' bus who told me he that he had travelled up by train to Pittodrie for a match in the 50s. MFC were on the same train and he was amazed how much smoking was going on, particularly by the great Johnny Aitkenhead.

That is all. 

3 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Wonderful mock-up which made me laugh, even in these dire times. I remember talking to an old-timer on the EK supporters' bus who told me he that he had travelled up by train to Pittodrie for a match in the 50s. MFC were on the same train and he was amazed how much smoking was going on, particularly by the great Johnny Aitkenhead.

That is all. 

Brilliant. Smoking was commonplace even in the 70s/80s. Top players like Cruyff and Maradona smoked like a chimneys.