Steelmen Online Motherwell Photo Thread

David

10 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Wonderful mock-up which made me laugh, even in these dire times. I remember talking to an old-timer on the EK supporters' bus who told me he that he had travelled up by train to Pittodrie for a match in the 50s. MFC were on the same train and he was amazed how much smoking was going on, particularly by the great Johnny Aitkenhead.

That is all. 

Aye there were some stories on our bus :acute:

FWIW: Drew Busby is  on the extreme left. Last man standing to have played for Third Lanark, I believe.

Probably 1976-77 season because we didn't play Hearts at all the following season in any competition (they were in Division 1) and we only played in that strip for those two seasons. Not absolutely convinced it's Peter M but if it's the game played on 18th December he was playing that day.

3 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

FWIW: Drew Busby is  on the extreme left. Last man standing to have played for Third Lanark, I believe.

Probably 1976-77 season because we didn't play Hearts at all the following season in any competition (they were in Division 1) and we only played in that strip for those two seasons. Not absolutely convinced it's Peter M but if it's the game played on 18th December he was playing that day.

We reverted back to that kit in  Feb 79 due to the new shirt not being popular.  We also wore claret shorts with it. I think this is from around that time. Possibly one of Pettigrew’s final games? We played them on the 7th April 79 at Tynecastle. 
image.thumb.jpeg.16f7fa85b5531f8275bd46796896bbd1.jpeg

9 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

We reverted back to that kit in  Feb 79 due to the new shirt not being popular.  We also wore claret shorts with it. I think this is from around that time. Possibly one of Pettigrew’s final games? We played them on the 7th April 79 at Tynecastle. 

Posting an image of Walter Kidd on these pages!!?!?!  May a thousand fleas infest your underwear! :lol:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

You could well be right because the Hearts Umbro sleeve design was worn for two seasons from 1977-79 according to Historical Football Kits, if I remember my researches from last night. Will check the team on 7/4/79 and see if there are any other candidates for Mystery Man.

Incidentally, the editor of HFK welcomes corrections to his strip histories and usually replies promptly.

Team that day was: Latchford, P Miller,  Stevens, McLeod, Pettigrew, Larnach (s), Clinging, Wilson (s), Smith, Donnelly, Dempsey,  Carberry, Irvine.

Going by the photos on p.247 of "'Well Again", it could be John Donnelly but not Carberry or Irvine. I don't know what Wilson or Smith looked like, or remember them.

Literally a "long shot"!

Scottish Cup 4th Round Replay on Wednesday 1st March 1972 against Ayr Utd.  Big crowd around 15,000. 'Well Players are Billy Campbell, Kirkie Lawson (getting treatment) and Jackie McInally.  First game drawn 0-0  on Saturday 26th February 1972 at Somerset Park.

Game had midweek afternoon kick-off as we couldn't use floodlights due to being in the middle of power cuts caused by the miners strike.  I remember leaving school at 4pm and running all the way to FP to catch the 2nd half. We won 2-1. 

In the next round we drew 2-2 with Rangers at FP - we were 2-1 up going into injury time when Colin Stein equalised. Ugh!!  Lost the midweek replay at Ibrox 4-2. Double ugh!!

3cdfa3265a5f92b09a5e02930abf32fc.jpg

35 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Two 'Well legends.  Circa 1968/69. Wee Tommy McLean and Joe Wark face-off.

20191227_195124.jpg

My dad was an Accies fan and took me to a cup tie against Killie on one of his rare Saturdays off. I think it was 1967. Tommy and Jackie Mcinally were playing  that day and I remember my dad laughed when I asked him who the wee boy on the wing was. He doesn't look as small in the photo but it's probably because Joe is stooping a bit.

I remember being tremndously impressed by Jackie's rumbustious runs, his knee s almost grazing his chin, so I was delighted when we eventually signed him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Scottish Cup 4th Round Replay on Wednesday 1st March 1972 against Ayr Utd.  Big crowd around 15,000. 'Well Players are Billy Campbell, Kirkie Lawson (getting treatment) and Jackie McInally.  First game drawn 0-0  on Saturday 26th February 1972 at Somerset Park.

Game had midweek afternoon kick-off as we couldn't use floodlights due to being in the middle of power cuts caused by the miners strike.  I remember leaving school at 4pm and running all the way to FP to catch the 2nd half. We won 2-1. 

In the next round we drew 2-2 with Rangers at FP - we were 2-1 up going into injury time when Colin Stein equalised. Ugh!!  Lost the midweek replay at Ibrox 4-2. Double ugh!!

3cdfa3265a5f92b09a5e02930abf32fc.jpg

That replay at Ibrox was an unpleasant experience. If I remember correctly we scored in the first few minutes as we were making our way round behind the goals where there was a shed at the back. As we were celebrating a group of menacing Rangers supporters came down and surrounded us and we had to run over to the shed at the side of the park. My hatred for Rangers stems from quite a few incidents and this was one of them.  No segregation in those days. 

If I remember correctly ex Celtic goalie John Fallon played for us that night and had a poor game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Incidentally, the editor of HFK welcomes corrections to his strip histories and usually replies promptly.

I’m one of his trusted researchers and informed him of our 1978-79 kit anomaly a few years ago. Dave’s a really nice guy and I’ve been helping him out for years.