Steelmen Online Motherwell Photo Thread

David

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

The previously mentioned John Fallon in the Scottish Cup quarter final at Fir Park in 1972 when we drew 2-2 with the Orks. Davie Whiteford behind him and John Muir on the goal line.

FB_IMG_1578454994094.jpg

An early exposure for me to the pain of playing the Old Firm. 2-1 up with minutes to go and the "Girvan Lighthouse" launches a trademark kick soaring right into Colin Stein's path bang equaliser. Onto Ibrox and a thumping 5-2 (I think) after the aforementioned John Fallon threw one into the net, very early in the game.

7 minutes ago, grumpy said:

slightly off topic, but I loved that green goalie top, Stuart Rennie looked great in it.Ā :thumbup:

Kieth McRae's black one was better though.

Keith McRae the best ginger haired goalie we ever had. Mind you the competition was John Fallon and Craig Samson.

Seriously though one hell of a goalkeeper/right back/centre forward.Ā 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, well_said said:

Keith McRae the best ginger haired goalie we ever had. Mind you the competition was John Fallon and Craig Samson.

Seriously though one hell of a goalkeeper/right back/centre forward.Ā 

and journalist for the Manchester Evening News.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Thanks Grew - scarred I was at that early age and the intervening years haven't helped lol.

Steelman1991 I know.Ā  I too carry a lot of scar tissue from that time and also from then until now and I have shed rivers of tears along the journey that is supporting the 'Well.Ā  It's in the genes and in the blood. Wouldn't change it though.

From the 1931 Scottish Cup Final.

Celtic goalkeeper John Thomson gathers the ball from the incoming 'Well player Johnny Murdoch.

Just a few months later John Thomson tragically died as the result of a head injury received in an accidental clash with the Rangers centre-forward Sam English in the Old Firm league game at Ibrox.

49c09e9e1b7d8d03a6ed43ff5b5e1a18.jpg

On 1/6/2021 at 1:11 PM, Happy Dosser said:

Team that day was: Latchford, P Miller, Ā Stevens, McLeod, Pettigrew, Larnach (s), Clinging, Wilson (s), Smith, Donnelly, Dempsey,Ā  Carberry, Irvine.

Going by the photos on p.247 of "'Well Again", it could be John Donnelly but not Carberry orĀ Irvine. I don't know what Wilson or Smith looked like, or remember them.

Literally a "long shot"!

Weeks behind reading this thread so apologies.

The Smith and Wilson mentioned in the team could be Joe Smith, who we signed from Aberdeen (and the player in the photo is far too svelte to be him) and Paul Wilson, the ex-Celtic winger.

14 hours ago, Ped_MFC said:

The Smith and Wilson mentioned in the team could be Joe Smith, who we signed from Aberdeen (and the player in the photo is far too svelte to be him) and Paul Wilson, the ex-Celtic winger.

Thanks for that: i remember them but without an initial I wasn't sure who they might be.

It all seems so long ago now..........:huh:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 4:03 PM, steelman1991 said:

Thanks Grew - scarred I was at that early age and the intervening years haven't helped lol.

Aye 4-2 was at both games. What I remember is Rangers supporters justĀ  pissing all over the east terrace .And at Ibrox a Rangers fan launching an empty bottle down the terracing , the police came up a few minutes later asked if anyone know or saw anything. Nobody said a word , I knew after that tie what I had always suspected that Rangers fans are a bunch of scum bastard's.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:14 PM, Ped_MFC said:

Joe Smith. Too young to die. Too fat to play.