Steelmen Online Motherwell Photo Thread

David

He might have made some ill-judged comments since, but it will never take away from my memories of watching him lifting the trophy.

The OF seems to do that to people. I remember Davie Hay being an affable (and very good) manager and, based on his appearance on the radio, someone with great affection for our club. Once he went back to Celtic, however, the pressure and the media seemed to turn him into a miserable, twisted old bugger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The last I heard he was living in Bournemouth with his wife. He made a few bob from football, however, after some bad business deals he was declared bankrupt in the mid 90s.

Did the business deals involve betting on black instead of red?

One of my favourite ever players to wear a 'Well shirt, though.

Did the business deals involve betting on black instead of red?

...In 1984 I went into business with an old friend. We bought a pub, calling it Marinello's. We followed that with a successful house conversion and bought a trendy bar. Just like my football career it started well, but fell apart. I was too trusting. I lost £300,000 on a nightclub venture. My finances began to unravel. I buried myself in drink and gambling as trouble brewed with a local gangster to whom I owed money. I needed an escape and a man said I should invest in a bar in Spain. I gave him money while he suggested I hide out at Butlin's in Skegness until the investment was ready.

My wife was in hospital and I was looking after two kids. I had no money - and I was living at Butlin's. It seemed I'd lost everything. Then I had some luck. An old friend heard of my plight and left £400 and the keys to his house in Bournemouth with my mum. We moved south and I went on the dole. I desperately needed my Spanish investment to come off. After struggling to contact the man who set it up, he finally said it was ready. We packed and were waiting for a car to take us to the airport. It never came. There was no car, no flight, and no bar. I'd lost £110,000. I went to London and, after buying a handgun, decided to look for the guy who had cost us money. When I found him, he offered me £10,000 - but I knew I'd never see it. He disappeared and a few days later the police came knocking. I was lucky to escape with a warning.

My lowest point was still to come. My youngest lad, Jon, had become a heroin addict and, for six months, I drove him to his dealer's house to buy drugs. I felt guilty as I'm sure our nomadic lifestyle hadn't helped him. I was handed a bankruptcy order in 1994. When I told the court about my business failings it sounded like a joke. Now, I try to focus on looking after Joyce and, I'm proud to say, Jon is clean of drugs. I've been through some troubling times, but I can't wait to have some grandchildren to tell them all my stories.