Community Ownership

Spiderpig

Apart from it being a nice gesture by Faddy if true, one added bonus is it will get it right up those dellusional Aberdeen fans who thought McFadden was going to sign for them.

He won't sign for Broon and his big team, but he'll happilly give the 'well £25k out of his skyrocket!

Outstanding!

I did wonder when I read this if this was really the reason he knocked back Craig Brown... obviously we had our own reasons for not wanting him to go, but classy chap that he is, I can't imagine he'd be comfortable signing for them one week, very likely knowing that he'd be very publicly putting £25k our way the next. (Might that even have constituted a conflict of interest? No idea.)

Don't think we become shareholders through this, members of the exclusive club that holds shares on our behalf is perhaps a reasonable explanation.

Thats it FC. Folk can currently become shareholders in MFC and I suspect that will continue. The Society will become a shareholder (the largest one by far) and will simply take over JB's 75% holding. It was mentioned on Monday evening thats its unlikely that the Society would ever own 100% of the shares as the remaining 25% are held by smaller shareholders who may not want to sell or may not even know they have shares in MFC. However its quite possible that the Society's 75% shareholding will increase gradually. The Trust for example owns 3%-4% of the shares.

They're referencing their source, what's the issue?

I was referring mostly to the fact that journalists seem quite content to sit back and report on what they've read on the internet rather than go and find the story. It wasn't aimed specifically at the one in the link - though I gather he thinks it was - just a comment on the ever increasing laziness of the profession.

It could be argued that the internet gives them ever-increasing access to facts and opinions but from where I stand, it seems to be the backbone of their work, not an aid to it.

That said, if anyone wants to start a thread on journalists and their merits or faults then fire in because this thread is in danger of branching off in the wrong direction. I think everyone will agree that this subject is too important to be trampled over the top of.

Thats it FC. Folk can currently become shareholders in MFC and I suspect that will continue.

would there be any point in becoming a normal shareholder when this is finalised. there is never going to be a dividend or a chance to make a profit and joining the society will provide a bigger influence on the running of the club.

there is still a few things i'd like to have cleared up. i understand why they are starting with 45% to ease this is in but when/if it goes beyond 50% the fans will be in total control. there is talk of one or two fans reps on the board but surely if the society is in full control of the club all board appointments will have to be approved by the society and all directors will be accountable to the society?

also is there a guaranteed time frame from going from 45% to 51%? and also who holds the remainder of john boyles shares in the meantime? is it boyle himself or is it another vehichle controlled by the current directors?

i'm also curious about the structure of the society. i haven't heard anything about that from the meeting. will it have a board or trustees itself. how will the voting mechasim work?

also in the past few years we've repaid about £300,000 of a loan to boyle which is fair enough. did they mention anything about the future payment schedule of this loan and make assurances that the funds invested by the society won't be used for this?

i couldn't make the meeting so i've no idea if this was covered. i asked at fir park yesterday about another meeting but they don't seem to have one scheduled. hopefully they will schedule another one soon.

I remember getting the Trust set up and moving from WWS was a logistical nightmare, months would go by with nothing to report. Haven't a clue why these things take so long but it's certainly frustrating for those involved. Fingers crossed it's not too long cos once the momentum is lost in these things it's very difficult to crank it up again, the Trust suffered badly through the delay in finalising their transition IMO and it wasn't their fault in any way

I've had dealings with the FSA a few times in the past and it was nightmarish, no matter how quickly you completed your end it would disappear up theirs for months on end.

would there be any point in becoming a normal shareholder when this is finalised. there is never going to be a dividend or a chance to make a profit and joining the society will provide a bigger influence on the running of the club.

there is still a few things i'd like to have cleared up. i understand why they are starting with 45% to ease this is in but when/if it goes beyond 50% the fans will be in total control. there is talk of one or two fans reps on the board but surely if the society is in full control of the club all board appointments will have to be approved by the society and all directors will be accountable to the society?

also is there a guaranteed time frame from going from 45% to 51%? and also who holds the remainder of john boyles shares in the meantime? is it boyle himself or is it another vehichle controlled by the current directors?

i'm also curious about the structure of the society. i haven't heard anything about that from the meeting. will it have a board or trustees itself. how will the voting mechasim work?

also in the past few years we've paid about £300,000 of a loan to boyle which is fair enough. did they mention anything about the future payment schedule of this loan and make assurances that the funds invested by the society won't be used for this?

i couldn't make the meeting so i've no idea if this was covered. i asked at fir park yesterday about another meeting but they don't seem to have one scheduled. hopefully they will schedule another one soon.

I'm like you I didn't make the meeting and there hasn't been a great deal of detail gone into on the website, mainly soundbites if truth be told, and I have seen a copy of the freebies for each particular shareholding.

I was wondering if the club would be issuing a full statement detailing everything covered at the meeting, particularly for our overseas fans and others amongst us who were unable to attend.

I said before I dont want to comment on it until I know the full details and while I was pleasantly surprised by what I've heard so far there are a few things of which I am still a bit unsure.

I know that this is not about the member benefits but why do they list benefits that you already receive as a season ticket holder anyway and the Junior member benefits are just basically the same as the ones for being a member of the Claret and Amber Club.

Has anyone actually ever been able to use a discount voucher in the club shop or kiosks? or even seen any offers?

We have been sold on benefits in the past that never materialise or a duplicated in other offers. Such as Season ticket discounts for being a member of the claret and amber club, but then the Wellevate scheme come along and the ticket is free anyway. Community coaching course discounts that need to be booked online but you cant redeem your discount voucher online for having a season ticket or claret and amber club membership.

They also mentioned that function room hire is a benefit but again this a benefit of being a season ticket holder anyway. I just think that it is great to offer benefits, discounts etc to people if that's what they think motivates them but they do need to be unique benefits.

I understand that not everyone is a Season ticket holder but realistically I don't see a non season ticket holder going for one of the memberships rather than getting a season ticket. Maybe a better way of doing it would be to sell the memberships as an extra on the back of season tickets.

Not meaning to be negative about a very positive scheme, I just dont see the point in trying to sell it as having benefits when they don't need to.

I understand that not everyone is a Season ticket holder but realistically I don't see a non season ticket holder going for one of the memberships rather than getting a season ticket. Maybe a better way of doing it would be to sell the memberships as an extra on the back of season tickets.

Not meaning to be negative about a very positive scheme, I just dont see the point in trying to sell it as having benefits when they don't need to.

Unless, like a few otherss here, they no longer live in proximity to Fir Park and want to support the club, as mentioned further up this thread?

Buying a season ticket in these circumstances could potentially deprive paying customers of a seat; albeit realistically for only very high profile games.

Otherwise, you don't want me to support the club. That's fine.:doh:

Five of the 'famous 10' currently live in Asia and the other, arguably the most high profile, in Cyprus. Have a look at your atlas to see how close that island is to Israel, Asia, which is part of UEFA for political and not geographic reasons.

SD

I know that this is not about the member benefits but why do they list benefits that you already receive as a season ticket holder anyway and the Junior member benefits are just basically the same as the ones for being a member of the Claret and Amber Club.

Neither do I, no need for benefits but for some it's essential that they are seen to be getting something. Whole point is do you want to become a member of the Motherwell Society, my answer right away is yes, no furhter benefits needed but can see whay they're there.

Like everything this will have an initial large amount of interest but the key to a scheme like this is keeping the interest and peoples long term commitment. It is just human nature to become infatuated with an idea only for that interest and commitment to it to diminish over time. Peoples finances change as do their priorities. I think the idea of all of this is great and inspiring but I do worry that realistically are there enough people genuinely and I do mean genuinely willing to put there money in to our small club regularly to make this work.

Like everything this will have an initial large amount of interest but the key to a scheme like this is keeping the interest and peoples long term commitment. It is just human nature to become infatuated with an idea only for that interest and commitment to it to diminish over time. Peoples finances change as do their priorities. I think the idea of all of this is great and inspiring but I do worry that realistically are there enough people genuinely and I do mean genuinely willing to put there money in to our small club regularly to make this work.

Up front is the main issue, regularly doesn't really matter. It's not as if we're after a continual pot to finance things.

My worry is the time it takes to complete the process might see interest wane, it happened with the Trust as I said before. Frustratingly there isn't much can be done to speed matters up but I hope we manage to keep the pot boiling until the big launch is ready.

For some, benefits are critical or may just sway their decision to join or not. As a matter of interest the issue of benefits/incentives was not mentioned by the top table on Monday evening and none of the 30 or so questioners mentioned them. For those interested in them, they may need to be fine tuned. How about some kind of ticket purchase/reservation mechanism for those who live away from Lanarkshire for example?

Given the size of our support we cannot afford to limit the scheme to ST holders only. In any event, as some PATG fans will tell you, never miss a home game.

The issue of retaining members is a very important one and was not raised on Monday. It will have to be addressed though.

For some, benefits are critical or may just sway their decision to join or not. As a matter of interest the issue of benefits/incentives was not mentioned by the top table on Monday evening and none of the 30 or so questioners mentioned them. For those interested in them, they may need to be fine tuned. How about some kind of ticket purchase/reservation mechanism for those who live away from Lanarkshire for example?

Given the size of our support we cannot afford to limit the scheme to ST holders only. In any event, as some PATG fans will tell you, never miss a home game.

The issue of retaining members is a very important one and was not raised on Monday. It will have to be addressed though.

I was in no way saying that the scheme should be aimed at season ticket holders only. to the contrary. I just think that people who invest in the club already by buying a season ticket are the more likely ones to further support the club. Why would a regular PATG punter put out £300 to join the scheme rather than buy a season ticket? At the same time why would a current season ticket holder be swayed by the benefits of the membership when they already get most of them with their season ticket. The people that will contribute over and above their current input whatever it is would do so anyway. I see the real potential target here as the local businesses that would get corporate benefits and advertising etc. Not your PATG supporter.

Just my view of it mind.

as a non season ticket holder I'll say your miles oot saying patg fans will not be interested inthe society

Why would a regular PATG punter put out £300 to join the scheme rather than buy a season ticket?

Because it's investing in the future of the club in a quite clear manner that in the circumstances seems to be the best option, nothing to do with some benefits in kind

Too many folk think a season ticket is the only way to support the club , I'd argue it's probably the cheap way as opposed to the most beneficial way to the club

as a non season ticket holder I'll say your miles oot saying patg fans will not be interested inthe society

Because it's investing in the future of the club in a quite clear manner that in the circumstances seems to be the best option, nothing to do with some benefits in kind

Too many folk think a season ticket is the only way to support the club , I'd argue it's probably the cheap way as opposed to the most beneficial way to the club

Also, many PATG punters are PATG because other commitments mean they can only attend a few games a season.

This scheme allows them to invest in the club in a different (and for them, possibly better) way.

I think you might be reading something into in to my posts which isn't there. I don't think for one minute that season ticket holders are any better than they PATG punter.

I do however think that by committing to a season ticket gives the same security to the club as much as the same value to this scheme. When push comes to shove in this scheme there will be nowhere near the numbers of takers as there are people who say they will at the moment. Reality isn't negativity. I choose to have a season ticket even though i know that I will miss about 5 or 6 games a season making it less cost effective than paying at the gate but like it or not season ticket sales are the only guaranteed paid up front income that the club gets therefore has to base its finances around it.

from the limited insight your posts give it looks like you are blinkered as you deny your belief about ST then go on to jusitfy it but it would be too easy to take this off at a tangent it is not about season tickets or the benefits, its about raising real security for the club, and strengthening the position within its community

I'd agree with one sentiment, they do not need to sell the £300 stake on the fringe benefits but dont see the need to complain about it when some people may score from them

I don't believe there are positive alternatives, having sat through the meeting and listened to the discussions, anybody that thinks there are should sit through similar and here the pros and cons before knocking it.

hopefully we'll get a surprise at the number of people that think £1000 is achievable,or perhaps £600 per household for his n hers or parent child ( kids can get a full membership as far as I'm aware?)

and as much as the club are keen to maximise the income in the first sale, if households have to budget for only one membership in 2011, hopefully the same households will carry it on for 2nd and 3rd memberships over time

Its worth looking into and exploring your thoughts on what its about, as opposed to skim reading a pamphlet and only seeing benefits you already think you have.

EDIT: apologies Ive just read this and appear preachy, must be more into it that I thought, but I do believe its a good thing but appreciate others might want something direct back from it which is fine, I just dont think this is the scheme for them, maybe plough cash in through strip sponsorship etc

from the limited insight your posts give it looks like you are blinkered as you deny your belief about ST then go on to jusitfy it but it would be too easy to take this off at a tangent it is not about season tickets or the benefits, its about raising real security for the club, and strengthening the position within its community

I'd agree with one sentiment, they do not need to sell the £300 stake on the fringe benefits but dont see the need to complain about it when some people may score from them

I don't believe there are positive alternatives, having sat through the meeting and listened to the discussions, anybody that thinks there are should sit through similar and here the pros and cons before knocking it.

hopefully we'll get a surprise at the number of people that think £1000 is achievable,or perhaps £600 per household for his n hers or parent child ( kids can get a full membership as far as I'm aware?)

and as much as the club are keen to maximise the income in the first sale, if households have to budget for only one membership in 2011, hopefully the same households will carry it on for 2nd and 3rd memberships over time

Its worth looking into and exploring your thoughts on what its about, as opposed to skim reading a pamphlet and only seeing benefits you already think you have.

EDIT: apologies Ive just read this and appear preachy, must be more into it that I thought, but I do believe its a good thing but appreciate others might want something direct back from it which is fine, I just don't think this is the scheme for them, maybe plough cash in through strip sponsorship etc

I think you make too many assumptions about me. Apology accepted.

MotherwellFC

The second public meeting of the ‘Well Society will be held this coming Saturday (17th September) in the Cooper Suite at Fir Park.

MotherwellFC

11am in the Davie Cooper Suite - DO NOT MISS IT - #jointherevolution

meeting has now also been announced on the official site

and in case anyone else has missed it (I did)

there is now more information on the official site about the 'Well society

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/the-club/the-well-society/