Worst Signings At Fir Park

At the recent 1991 panel night Tommy McLean was asked who his worst signings were he said Paul Shepstone and Alex Jones were bad. I think the McLeish era was bad with guys like John Hendry Shaun McSkimming Eddie May Andy Roddie to name a few. Eric Black also signed a couple of crackers Yan Saloy and Ange Ouifio. Who do you think has been our worst signings. Alan Sneddon must get a shout

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For pure nepotism over and above his ineptitude .... John Davies

You could argue some of the players we brought in like Falconer and McSkimming for the money was abysmal, that is if you compare it to now, however it was how things rolled back then, now a fair portion of signing fees goes direct to wages.

With Tommy Mclean being the manager for 10 years you would have expected him to have signed some right duffers over the years and he did,off the top of my head i give you John Gardiner,Derek Murray,Gordon Mair,Crawford F@@@ing Baptie,JIm Clark,John Reilly,Dave Shanks and Mark Caughey,maybe Tommys memory is going if he didnt mention any of the players listed,just wish i could forget their time with us as easily.

With Tommy Mclean being the manager for 10 years you would have expected him to have signed some right duffers over the years and he did,off the top of my head i give you John Gardiner,Derek Murray,Gordon Mair,Crawford F@@@ing Baptie,JIm Clark,John Reilly,Dave Shanks and Mark Caughey,maybe Tommys memory is going if he didnt mention any of the players listed,just wish i could forget their time with us as easily.

That's a belter of a list. Don't think anyone will be able to top that!

Everytime this topic comes up, that's the name that immediately spring to my mind!!

He was chronically bad...ended up being chairman of Albion Rovers at one point if I mind correctly.

Wee Tommy def had a few howlers another I remember is Paul Baker, Dave Mcabe and Alex Kennedy.

Also remember Stevan Lindquist, Steven Halliday Jamie Mclen.

I also seem to remember some guy called Gulli Johnson think he was from Iceland.

Jonni Lethonen was also pish poor

Gunni Jonsson one of McLeish's best signings. Made his debut against Aberdeen at Fir Park and gave away a last minute penalty, the sheep scored won 2-1 but i remember that was the game some guy ran on from the cooper and clatterted Leighton. Jonsson played again against a very poor St Johnstone the following week and we lost 4-3, needless to say he was on his bike soon there after.

Greig Miller, Kai Nyyssonen, David White, Holm Kraska and Mikko Kaven were belters from the Kampman era.

I wouldn't say all of those were right duffers -- a couple perhaps fell more into the "enigma" category. John Reilly seemed to find Billy's Boots every now and again and scored a couple of belting goals in his time, and my recollection of Gordon Mair is that he wasn't a bad winger until he had his confidence shattered by a crunching tackle on the main stand touchline one sunny day (can't remember who against, though).

I never think of Derek Murray or John Gardiner as being especially bad compared to some later candidates either, but maybe I've just blanked them out :)