Worst Signings At Fir Park

I know I am likely to be shot down for this but Steve McGarry was absolutely fucking uselss. Andy Roddie was also very rank. Think Stevie Woods got a bad press, he was an average SPL quality keeper.

Nearly said McGarry myself.

He's piss poor, but not as bad as the Malpas trio, or Steve McDonald, recently.

Alex Burns also popped into my head.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 2nd time round surely, although he did score a cracking header to round off a great move against Dundee Utd. which just about exempts him.

I can only remember him from the second time! Showing my (lack of) age. My first season ticket was 1998.

He's not in the running for worst player for me, with some of the other candidates. He pops in at the below-mediocre range, but not hellish.

For me it's got to be John Hendry, Spurs had signed him from Dundee as a schoolboy about 5 years earlier. He only played one game for Spurs and they loaned him out all over the place, they were on the verge of letting him go when Big Eck went in and offered them £200k. The question that has been puzzling me ever since is, WHY???????

For me it's got to be John Hendry, Spurs had signed him from Dundee as a schoolboy about 5 years earlier. He only played one game for Spurs and they loaned him out all over the place, they were on the verge of letting him go when Big Eck went in and offered them £200k. The question that has been puzzling me ever since is, WHY???????

He played more than once for Spurs I'm sure. Maybe not loads but he played more than once for them. Was held in a sort of David Ferrere like admiration by Spurs fans for two goals he scored in what was then a rare win for them at Highbury.

It didn't work out obviously, he was clearly honking at Fir Park, but you can see McLeish's thinking behind the signing surely?

Said Chiba been mentioned!?

Franck Bernard? Or whatver the coont was called, striker?

chiba was a good player.

bernard was a defender with a fine head of grey hair. cannae remember if he ever played but he was sat at the next table to me in the moorings once.

He played more than once for Spurs I'm sure. Maybe not loads but he played more than once for them. Was held in a sort of David Ferrere like admiration by Spurs fans for two goals he scored in what was then a rare win for them at Highbury.

It didn't work out obviously, he was clearly honking at Fir Park, but you can see McLeish's thinking behind the signing surely?

According to Soccerbase he played twice, once as a substitute.

I remember at the time he signed it was said he had played once and scored twice, and he was headlined as if he was the second coming. No-one actually mentioned he'd been down there 5 years and done sod all else.

Had we gone down there and taken the guy either on loan or given Spurs the £50K they had paid for him, FIVE YEARS EARLIER, then yes I would say I can see the thinking behind it, but to whip down there and offer them £200k for someone who was basically a squad player, if that, defeats my thought processes altogether.

Let me put it into perspective for you, in the same season Spurs sold defender Gudni Bergson, (who had signed for them in 1988 as a youth for a fee of £100k twice what they paid for Hendry), he had played over 50 games and had scored the same amount of goals as John Hendry. He would go on to play over 300 games for Bolton and score 26 goals, all for the princely sum of £65k.

So, who saw who coming?

According to Soccerbase he played twice, once as a substitute.

I remember at the time he signed it was said he had played once and scored twice, and he was headlined as if he was the second coming. No-one actually mentioned he'd been down there 5 years and done sod all else.

Had we gone down there and taken the guy either on loan or given Spurs the £50K they had paid for him, FIVE YEARS EARLIER, then yes I would say I can see the thinking behind it, but to whip down there and offer them £200k for someone who was basically a squad player, if that, defeats my thought processes altogether.

Let me put it into perspective for you, in the same season Spurs sold defender Gudni Bergson, (who had signed for them in 1988 as a youth for a fee of £100k twice what they paid for Hendry), he had played over 50 games and had scored the same amount of goals as John Hendry. He would go on to play over 300 games for Bolton and score 26 goals, all for the princely sum of £65k.

So, who saw who coming?

Well your memory must be playing tricks on you as his record was actually 5 goals in 17 league appearances for Tottenham, twelve of which were substitute appearances.

Its worth putting the fee in context too. Around the same time we paid something like £150,000 for Andy Roddie, Shaun McSkimming £400,000, Mitchell van der Gaag £400,000, Scott Howie £200,000. Even Stevie Crawford was being linked with us for a £700,000 move around the time!!! That perhaps says more about McLeish's lack of acumen in the transfer market than anything else but in that particular era but the fee for Hendry wasn't uncommon and was in keeping with the market prices of the day.

I don't think McLeish would have been alone in thinking okay if you can manage a return like that in England's top flight then there may be a possibility that you might be able to replicate or better than in Scotland's top flight. Particularly as was suggested at the time that he had been understudy and learned from Klinnsman at White Hart Lane.

Might sound like I'm trying to defend the player, certainly not there is little that can be said to defend his 'Well career, but I can fully understand why the old ginger tosser went for him.

Well your memory must be playing tricks on you as his record was actually 5 goals in 17 league appearances for Tottenham, twelve of which were substitute appearances.

Its worth putting the fee in context too. Around the same time we paid something like £150,000 for Andy Roddie, Shaun McSkimming £400,000, Mitchell van der Gaag £400,000, Scott Howie £200,000. Even Stevie Crawford was being linked with us for a £700,000 move around the time!!! That perhaps says more about McLeish's lack of acumen in the transfer market than anything else but in that particular era but the fee for Hendry wasn't uncommon and was in keeping with the market prices of the day.

I don't think McLeish would have been alone in thinking okay if you can manage a return like that in England's top flight then there may be a possibility that you might be able to replicate or better than in Scotland's top flight. Particularly as was suggested at the time that he had been understudy and learned from Klinnsman at White Hart Lane.

Might sound like I'm trying to defend the player, certainly not there is little that can be said to defend his 'Well career, but I can fully understand why the old ginger tosser went for him.

I was aware of McLeish's overspending in the Transfer market that's why I put it in context with another player with a fairly similar background at the same club, rather than list McLeish's idiocies.

I can't believe people are mentioning Gow and Woods as the worst signing ever when we have signed duds like John Davies and Casagolda. At least Gow scored a goal that got us to a semi final. What did Casagolda or Davies ever do?

casagolda had a far better season than gow for the reason that he stayed well out of the way of any important games.

gow soaked up a fair chunk of our player budget, kept our best striker out the team and totally knocked jamie murphy - who was flying before gow was shoe horned in - off his stride. gow's performances away to hibs, st mirren, celtic and accies were as bad as i've ever seen and if broon had been smart enough to stick with what was working (sutton, murphy and blackman) we would have pulled in a few more points during nov/dec and not have had to totally rebuild our confidence through jan/feb.

casagolda had a far better season than gow for the reason that he stayed well out of the way of any important games.

gow soaked up a fair chunk of our player budget, kept our best striker out the team and totally knocked jamie murphy - who was flying before gow was shoe horned in - off his stride. gow's performances away to hibs, st mirren, celtic and accies were as bad as i've ever seen and if broon had been smart enough to stick with what was working (sutton, murphy and blackman) we would have pulled in a few more points during nov/dec and not have had to totally rebuild our confidence through jan/feb.

I agree with almost everything you say I just don't think he is our worst ever signing. I don't think he is even close. I think we took a gamble on a player who was decent in the past and it failed. I just think there has been far worse than him.

Kaven

sneddon kraska jones may

Roddie curcic malcolm nevin

Halliday burns

Don't agree with half of these, Kaven and Curcic were class acts and Malcolm, Nevin and Burns all did a job. In actual fact I had a look to see if I could find Kaven, as I was sure I'd heard he had done no bad after leaving here, he went on to be capped 15 times for Finland and played regularly in Europe for Tampere United.

Don't agree with half of these, Kaven and Curcic were class acts and Malcolm, Nevin and Burns all did a job. In actual fact I had a look to see if I could find Kaven, as I was sure I'd heard he had done no bad after leaving here, he went on to be capped 15 times for Finland and played regularly in Europe for Tampere United.

Was Kaven not linked to Arsenal at some point when they were looking for a back up goalie?

Curcic was a genius.

Nevin was/is a cock but he did score a last minute winner against Hearts in the rearranged game, after Robinson had a 'chat' with the ref at half time of the original fixture with us leading.