Current Players

StipeIsGod

I actually really like Forbes. The patter about him being shite is pretty wearing and for me is a sign of how good we've been doing recently. Given some of the absolute dross we've had in the past, to have Forbes, who is capable of outrageous things with a football, as the 'boo boy', is hilarious.

I really do hope him and Hateley get a bash at playing in the middle with others making the running around them. We saw what Hateley was capable of in the Hearts 3-3 game at the end of the season. Allowing him to sit deeper with Carsley and Lasley cracking skulls in front of him allowed him to play what appears to be his natural game, with a bit more space and time giving him the confidence to ping passes and take guys on.

I would like to say I don't think Ross Forbes is..

Lazy

Bigheaded

shy of confidence

I just think he is SHITE

Careful.......

So once the season starts your going deny it's started?! :huh:

Nah man, I just mean that once it's started, we have universal topics to disagree on, like;

"Is Forbes on the bench?" "Should Forbes be on the bench" etc.

You still going to be here to discuss it?

Of course I am. How could I miss you lot, realistically,,,

I actually really like Forbes. The patter about him being shite is pretty wearing and for me is a sign of how good we've been doing recently. Given some of the absolute dross we've had in the past, to have Forbes, who is capable of outrageous things with a football, as the 'boo boy', is hilarious.

I really do hope him and Hateley get a bash at playing in the middle with others making the running around them. We saw what Hateley was capable of in the Hearts 3-3 game at the end of the season. Allowing him to sit deeper with Carsley and Lasley cracking skulls in front of him allowed him to play what appears to be his natural game, with a bit more space and time giving him the confidence to ping passes and take guys on.

I want him to do well. I really do, I just fear that he doesn't have that in him consistently, and he just had a good patch (see Brian Kerr),

As for Hately, I think he has been very poor in the middle. COMPARED TO his outstanding showings out wide. I think that he has the potential to be a truly stupendous right back, or a nothing midfielder.

C'mon now Steelboy - Everybody Hurts!

Sometimes

Good work, ya..... excl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gif

Like I said, the important thing in the middle is for Hateley to have the protection and space he needs. He had that under Gannon and looked impressive doing that, as he did in the Hearts game. Its probably what Forbes needs as well. I like Hateley as a right back as well, but its up to him I guess.

It generally bothers me that guys are written off in their early twenties so readily. Forbes has plenty of time but isn't likely to get the time in the team he needs this year, judging him on performances out wide or in a midfield pair probably isn't fair.

I'd advocated Hateley moving back to a holding role in midfield too, therefore right back (other than Saunders) is high on my list of "Ins". I'd like to think Saunders and Hutchison could grow together as a pair under Craigan's tutelage however I fear Saunders is prone to Amoruso-esque gaffs at least once a game.

Based on who we've brought in and with a few bits here and there still to be announced my strongest team (and what I'd like to see as everyone would be playing to their strengths):

------------ Randolph ---------------

RB? -- Hutchison -- CH? -- Hammell

------------- Hateley ---------------

--- Jennings ---- Lasley ---- Law ---

--------------------- Murphy --------

------------- Higdon ----------------

Bench:

Hollis

Humphrey

Forbes

Saunders

McHugh

Carswell

In the past year I've felt Humphrey has performed better as an impact sub and when he's chased balls into gaps or over the top rather than stand on the halfway line, take a touch and then chase it.

A fair point, but unfortunately, we are scrapping in the mid range SPL. That means players like Forbes need to toughen up or sink.

Don't think that I promote that. I'd rather a boy that could pass a ball under pressure, than a beefcake, but it appears to me that Forbes' intelligence on the ball is a year or so behind, and I don't think we can afford him the gamble of that time.

I'd more or less agree, I struggle to think of a reason to keep Humphrey out of the team. Aye, sometimes (most times?) the quality of his crossing isn't there, but good lord do you get a shift out of the boy every time he plays. Defensively, offensively, he's throwing himself about and being a nuisance, and theres always the chance that he'll just take off past someone.

I'd advocated Hateley moving back to a holding role in midfield too, therefore right back (other than Saunders) is high on my list of "Ins". I'd like to think Saunders and Hutchison could grow together as a pair under Craigan's tutelage however I fear Saunders is prone to Amoruso-esque gaffs at least once a game.

Based on who we've brought in and with a few bits here and there still to be announced my strongest team (and what I'd like to see as everyone would be playing to their strengths):

------------ Randolph ---------------

RB? -- Hutchison -- CH? -- Hammell

------------- Hateley ---------------

--- Jennings ---- Lasley ---- Law ---

--------------------- Murphy --------

------------- Higdon ----------------

Bench:

Hollis

Humphrey

Forbes

Saunders

McHugh

Carswell

In the past year I've felt Humphrey has performed better as an impact sub and when he's chased balls into gaps or over the top rather than stand on the halfway line, take a touch and then chase it.

I just feel concerned that Hately's tackling from this position lets him down. It's as if he only knows how to send a man on his outside, and if they cut across he struggles.

I find this magnifies when he plays centrally,

If Humphrey converted to a right wingback I'd have him in the team in a second as he would offer so much. However I can't see him gaining defensive nonse and tackling ability overnight when his bread and butter crossing is still hit and miss.

I'd rather bring him on at half time and roast someone who has already ran 4 miles. Plus there was a few games last season when he was blowing with 30 minutes to go (although I do know he had a thigh problem for a bit) however it did look CV based rather than nursing an injury.

If you have him in from the start, who do you sacrifice in that formation?

If Humphrey converted to a right wingback I'd have him in the team in a second as he would offer so much..........

hahaha!

If you have him in from the start, who do you sacrifice in that formation?

well any c**t as there was no width what so ever in there

Yeah, fullback is a horrible shout. Jim O'Brien there was one of the most bizarre performances I've ever seen.

Yeah, Hateley would be sacrificed to go back to a midfield 2 of Lasley and Jennings. Like I said, depends who you're playing.