Current Players

StipeIsGod

I was hoping this thread would die a death Steve.

However with respect to our resident sycophant ....

If you read my post I justified why I started with Humphrey on the bench, I actually took a lot of time to form an argument as I knew it was only a matter of time before your red mist descended. It wasn't intended as bait or a catalyst to get you involved, it was my opinion formed from watching them 30 times last season.

I'm not going to reiterate it, you can scroll back and see why I justified my decision. Personally I'd rather start more defensive than offensive and introduce Humphrey later when his pace will be up against tired legs. Stats say when any team goes behind they rarely go on to win. To have him in from the start would mean dropping a recognised midfielder for a pacey winger who's bread and butter crosses (while they improved over the season) were still a bit hit and miss.

I'm not prepared to do that in my hypothetical team.

Could play Jenno AND Las while throwing Law wide on left.

i think you could be right there haggis i was reading mccall in the evening times the other day and he hinted that law would be used on the left

i think you could be right there haggis i was reading mccall in the evening times the other day and he hinted that law would be used on the left

I wonder if that's maybe left of a midfield three, with Murphy, Higdon and Humphrey further forward.

It would explain the relative lack of worry regarding only having two proven strikers.

Best player -Hutch Worst player -Humphrey

I respect your opinion, but how can you say that Humphrey is worse than say Meechan or McHugh?

The boy does have some faults in his game, but I think the positives of having him in the team outweigh any negatives. He causes opposition sides to fall further back to either man mark him or double up on him. this allows us to get forward more.

My only memory of the cup final, and certainly only positive one, is Humphrey running the length of the Well support clapping just before kick off.

I like him.

Jeez is that all a player has to do to be liked!?

Pity his control is terrible, his crossing not much better and his finishing is even worse.

Humphrey is not a good football player.

If anyone has an evidence in the shape of stats or video footage then I would love to see it.

I respect your opinion, but how can you say that Humphrey is worse than say Meechan or McHugh?

The boy does have some faults in his game, but I think the positives of having him in the team outweigh any negatives. He causes opposition sides to fall further back to either man mark him or double up on him. this allows us to get forward more.

Absolutely no offence in you not agreeing with my opinions johnstone, Ive amended my post to favourite and least favourite player which i think is a better way of wording it ,least favourite because so many moves come to an end when Humphrey gets the ball ,he has blistering pace which some say cant be bought ,but his skill and technique which some say can be taught after two seasons shows no sign of developing in anyway. I also based my thoughts on first team regulars and not fringe players.

Jeez is that all a player has to do to be liked!?

Pity his control is terrible, his crossing not much better and his finishing is even worse.

Humphrey is not a good football player.

If anyone has an evidence in the shape of stats or video footage then I would love to see it.

As stated above, the guy is not perfect but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

He has pace to burn, and showed in a spell around the Aberdeen game in March that he can use that to score goals.

As also mentioned, his pace means that teams often double up on him and leave space for others to exploit - something I don't think we utilise fully.

Crossing needs work, but I believe this is something that he is working on himself after training.

Also, Premiership clubs are scouting him - I virtually read the notes of one scout up at Tannadice - so he cannot be as bad as is being made out here.

Absolutely no offence in you not agreeing with my opinions johnstone, Ive amended my post to favourite and least favourite player which i think is a better way of wording it ,least favourite because so many moves come to an end when Humphrey gets the ball ,he has blistering pace which some say cant be bought ,but his skill and technique which some say can be taught after two seasons shows no sign of developing in anyway. I also based my thoughts on first team regulars and not fringe players.

I would argue he has improved massivley since his first season.

He has certainly setup a fair few goals and probably could chip in with a few more, but thats not his role. His crossing has also been much better.

Also you have to understand that a winger is probably the hardest position to play in football as you run close to the touchline and your aim is to get by defenders so chances are you will lost the ball more often than other players.

For me he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

I would argue he has improved massivley since his first season.

He has certainly setup a fair few goals and probably could chip in with a few more, but thats not his role. His crossing has also been much better.

Also you have to understand that a winger is probably the hardest position to play in football as you run close to the touchline and your aim is to get by defenders so chances are you will lost the ball more often than other players.

For me he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Without getting a roasting for being a Humphrey lover, most points about him are pretty accurate on the whole, but i think last season he has shown a massive improvement and has created many chances and scored 4 goals on the way. This season Humphrey should be looking to score in and around 10 goals as a min, with the introduction of a creative midfielder this can only aid his progression, i think with Higdon in the middle hopefully with a better footballing brain than Sutton will be rewarded.

When in the lower teirs of the English football pyramid Humphrey only really needed pace to beat his man so tricks and quality were not always needed, the SPL throws different challenges to him where he needs more than just his pace, the OF with quality wing backs with pace dont struggle against Humphrey as we have seen last season, ok the odd occasion at home to Celtic were Humphrey robbed the CB,and should really of scored was pretty much a one off, lots of left backs out of the old firm hate playing against Humphrey for the obvious reasons, Grainger was close to tears a couple of times last season because of Humphrey and looked every bit a Non League footballer, but now he has had a big money move Hearts, Humphrey can do it and you dont get the International call for nothing, so what i can say is this season will be his biggest and im sure if you stick with him and support him he will come off.

When he ran out on the final and ran the whole length of the fans that was a tear jerking momment, and me and others around me shed a tear like most of you guys prob did too.

At the end of every game he will thank the fans regardless of the score, i like the lad (As you prob guess). Big season ahead for him a the rest of the guys, i think the signings we have made will make the difference.

Humphrey has good attributes and I think the goal he scored in the cup, was it against Dundee United or St Johnstone, proves he can find the target if given the chance.

Murphy needs to be more decisive and less elaborate, hope fully playing through the middle and more direct, but remains the most promising player.

Since McCall has cleared out Casagolda and Ross, I think Page was better than him, I don't really dislike any of the current squad.

Humphrey has good attributes and I think the goal he scored in the cup, was it against Dundee United or St Johnstone, proves he can find the target if given the chance.

Murphy needs to be more decisive and less elaborate, hope fully playing through the middle and more direct, but remains the most promising player.

Since McCall has cleared out Casagolda and Ross, I think Page was better than him, I don't really dislike any of the current squad.

When we pumped st Johnstone 4-0 humphrey was absolutely outstanding. Tore grainger a new one and that player got a move to Hearts ffs!!!

Also in the semi final against st Johnstone they were so worried about Humphrey and his pace that created alot of space for murphy and he was fantastic.

Yes Humphrey has poor crossing many times but he is a threat at SPL standard with his pace so he would be in my 1st 11