Should We Stay Or Should We Go?

Taff

132 members have voted

1. 1. Should Motherwell leave Fir Park for a new stadium?

• Yes, I would like us to move from Fir Park
    • No, we should stay and do the place up
    • No, we should stay and leave things how they are.
    • Undecided
    • Don't care

I know there's probably a few of these on the forum but people change there opinions and new people join up, so i thought it would be good to get some views and thoughts of the possibility of us leaving our beloved fir park and moving to a new stadium.

To mods/admin

The poll is very simple (like my brain) but if it doesn't make sense (probably doesn't) can a mod/admin sort it out for me plaease.

You should remove the "stay and do the place up" option, as it's not an option. Whatever we do will require the sale of the stadium and land to part-fund it, so if we stay where we are...we cut off our only source of funding for any change.

People talk about the sale of the land to 'part fund' a new stadium, as if we're goni get a nice new stadium basically for free.

A half decent stadium move will cost at least as much as doing up fir park.

I'd be gutted if we moved, and only accept it if we were all shown a plan of the new ground beforehand, as i think there would be a very slim chance of getting anything more than a flatpack metal box.

It's a no brainer for me. A move to a smart 9000 seater stadium is a MUST. Fir Park has had it's day and as for the pitch? :wallbash:

9000 seats is fine, but we'll need terracing for another 6000 or so for when we finally get the rules changed back :)

As for the pitch, laying a new one won't guarantee that it holds up to the weather in winter. Remember Fir Park used to be like a bowling green until we built the new stands.

I hate the look of the IKEA type stadiums that are popping up all over the place. Fir Park is full of history and memories and has a very unique look, which I'm sure we've all came to love over the years.

the only reason to move is if we are selling out ever week and need a bigger stadium.

i think its inevitable we'll leave fir park but when the time comes to move i hope the board and fans come together and discuss ideas to get the best possible stadium for the money thats avaliable it would be really depressing to end up with a st mirren type stadium where the only difference is claret and amber seats

• Like 1

i think its inevitable we'll leave fir park but when the time comes to move i hope the board and fans come together and discuss ideas to get the best possible stadium for the money thats avaliable it would be really depressing to end up with a st mirren type stadium where the only difference is claret and amber seats

x2 on this mate, although I can only see shareholders getting a say in the aesthetics of the new ground and having no say in its location or design.

Being realistic, I doubt the PATG/ST holders would have much of a say in it, if any at all. I remain hopeful though....

The cost of anything other than a flatpack stadium a la St Mirren is prohibitive for a club our size. Our problem is that virtually the only asset we have is the ground, and the cash isn't there to do the kind of remedial work required. So the only viable alternative is the sale of the ground and a move to new premises, which will be, whether we like it or not, one from Ikeas cheaper range. We dont have the wee extra bonus from Europe that we have had the past few seasons and John Boyle is no longer funding us so I think things are going to be a wee bit tight for ome time around Fir Park. I love Fir Park and would want to stay there for ever but teh reality is we have to get the hell out of there before it collapses round our ears. Sell up and move on.

we do not need a really good stadium like Aalesunds, if you know about their old ground you'd know why they HAD to move, look at Fir Park and we've had a shit pitch, let us have 3G, not an issue, and on the basis that last year it was better than it has been then see how the next goes. Also assume this winter won't be as harsh for a prolonged period of time and the plumbing is fine too.

I voted for a move, mainly down to the fact its progress and natural evolution of our club. I'm sure all through MFC's history there have been grumblings, when Glencairn and Alpha merged, when we switched from blue to C&A, its safe to say fans throughout the years have had their initial objections. However if you asked any of the current fans to go back, there would be a revolt and abject disgust (well on here anyway) at the thought of it.

I'd like to think that the decision makers have recognised the folly that a ACME Barr stadium brings to the feel and atmosphere generated and hopefully we can also address the safe standing issue for those fans who would want it. Talk to the guys just back from Aaelsund if you ever want convincing.

I'd like a landmark building (something in the same vein as the Falkirk wheel or Angel of the North) by which I mean the building itself generates interest and a residual income from visitors outwith matchdays. Ideally a catalyst to improve the general feel and improve the perception of the shire and a place where local businesses feel they have to be (borrowing a lot on what I've been told about Odense here).

On matchday itself I'd like to think the uniqueness would help increase our attendance year on year and see a opposition fans relish the prospect of a visit to FP (the same we do with a visit to Tynecastle).

I'd insist on a public area/piazza outside the stadium for fans to mill about and be entertained in the run up to the game.

I'd also look for the stadium to be used 24/7 by incorporating various complimentary businesses and facilities. Ideally a club shop with the ticket office to the rear, a couple of restaurants (one quality and one sports bar with generous helping US style) looking out onto the pitch so the club can piggyback off their popularity. Something that is a entertainment complex like what Xscape has achieved (however I don't know if it makes money - I suspect it does).

I voted for a move, mainly down to the fact its progress and natural evolution of our club. I'm sure all through MFC's history there have been grumblings, when Glencairn and Alpha merged, when we switched from blue to C&A, its safe to say fans throughout the years have had their initial objections. However if you asked any of the current fans to go back, there would be a revolt and abject disgust (well on here anyway) at the thought of it.

I'd like to think that the decision makers have recognised the folly that a ACME Barr stadium brings to the feel and atmosphere generated and hopefully we can also address the safe standing issue for those fans who would want it. Talk to the guys just back from Aaelsund if you ever want convincing.

I'd like a landmark building (something in the same vein as the Falkirk wheel or Angel of the North) by which I mean the building itself generates interest and a residual income from visitors outwith matchdays. Ideally a catalyst to improve the general feel and improve the perception of the shire and a place where local businesses feel they have to be (borrowing a lot on what I've been told about Odense here).

On matchday itself I'd like to think the uniqueness would help increase our attendance year on year and see a opposition fans relish the prospect of a visit to FP (the same we do with a visit to Tynecastle).

I'd insist on a public area/piazza outside the stadium for fans to mill about and be entertained in the run up to the game.

I'd also look for the stadium to be used 24/7 by incorporating various complimentary businesses and facilities. Ideally a club shop with the ticket office to the rear, a couple of restaurants (one quality and one sports bar with generous helping US style) looking out onto the pitch so the club can piggyback off their popularity. Something that is a entertainment complex like what Xscape has achieved (however I don't know if it makes money - I suspect it does).

The AaFK stadium hasn't got safe standing nor did the Molde one we visited, it's purely a terraced setction within an all seater. Safe standing only really happens in Germany where rather than shut sections off they can convert to seats in UEFA sanctioned games. Standing is generally safe, talk to us about bouncing up and down where there's seats though, gubbed shins all round. Turn the east or sections of it back to terracing then yer jamming in Fir Park.

Not that far fetched or crazy, look into how much the roof on the new sports complex cost opposed to making it 2 shoe boxes. There does appear to be a willingness from the planners/developers/council/Ravenscraig quango to go that extra mile.

I'd like to think if its up at Ravenscraig beside a state of the art indoor pitch and associated facilities that sort of thing would maybe help sway quite a few guys to us so we don't compete with the Killie's and Dundee Utd's of this world, its the Hibs and Hearts.

I forgot to add, on the top of the main stand, I'd put in 6 hotel rooms, so we can make money from Weddings, put players up until they get sorted, can be doubled up as corporate hospitality suites for matchday's and get fans in for the novelty factor. However in reality some first team player will end up in a tabloid kiss and tell with a gold-digger he met 1 hour before in Hype or under 19 will end up facebooking his sexual exploits in them when he was supposed to be getting physio.

At present there are no real revenue making retail/entertainment places in North Lanarkshire (except Showcase and Cumbernauld Mall - remove all the town centres as they are all mostly useless with rotten shops). Most of the population of our county goes to Hamilton, East Kilbride or Glasgow (Fort, Braehead, Silverburn or Centre) and contributes to their business taxes. If the council exhibit initiative and have insight (granted not always best bed-fellows) then hopefully Ravenscraig can be developed in the right way so it becomes something more than a suburb/adjoined town to Motherwell but a destination in itself.

LT did we not have a thread about stadium designs?

Anyway I would NOT vote for a IKEA flat pack stadium.

Nor would I vote for a 10 - 20k seat stadium.

Site: I would like to see it up at Ravenscraig beside the state of the art indoor pitch.

A 40k stadium as a minimum,(can be hired out for various events) with the various outlets around the stadium like restaurants etc leased out one quality and one sports bar looking out onto the pitch

Transport: Parking for buses and cars with a short walk to the ground (maybe get the rail line back through to form a loop back to the main line, have a look at an aerial view of the Ravenscraig site) or maybe tram/light rail from whats left of the cross to the site and back.

There should be a piazza outside the stadium for fans to mill about a bit like Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. (you could call it Fir Park Piazza) The stadium could be named after a major sponsor (now if we still had Motorola as a major sponsor).

I reckon Motherwell Football & Athletic Club would make a lot of money from the commercial side of the operation, it would also help in putting bums on seats(hopefully have a standing area) and be able to pay better wages to players.

Just my twa bob's worth.

Yeah, its about somewhere, that thread listed best practices we could adopt from what we've seen already on our travels to Scandinavia, other little gems we've never played at and some aspirational ones. I'm on record saying I'd love "The Wall" or something that captures the same wow factor. However without rain protection (not really an issue in the Middle East) we'd need some innovative ideas, I'd use that on my Colin and Justin inspired "mood board" to show the architects what to use as a datum.

I remember watching Italian games during the 90's when C4 had them live, always thought it looked crap when they visited the Stadi Delle Alpi and you saw swathes of bucket seats. In all likelihood do we need another 40k+ stadium with Ibrox, Hampden and Parkhead all within 15 miles? Seems overkill in a country of 5.5m and for me would be a white elephant.

If we abolish segregated schools and wait a generation or two we may be able to significantly dig into the old firms stranglehold however in the meantime I'd opt for a capacity of 15-18k (you have to hope for a bit of expansion and growth in our support).

Yeah, its about somewhere, that thread listed best practices we could adopt from what we've seen already on our travels to Scandinavia, other little gems we've never played at and some aspirational ones. I'm on record saying I'd love "The Wall" or something that captures the same wow factor. However without rain protection (not really an issue in the Middle East) we'd need some innovative ideas, I'd use that on my Colin and Justin inspired "mood board" to show the architects what to use as a datum.

I remember watching Italian games during the 90's when C4 had them live, always thought it looked crap when they visited the Stadi Delle Alpi and you saw swathes of bucket seats. In all likelihood do we need another 40k+ stadium with Ibrox, Hampden and Parkhead all within 15 miles? Seems overkill in a country of 5.5m and for me would be a white elephant.

If we abolish segregated schools and wait a generation or two we may be able to significantly dig into the old firms stranglehold however in the meantime I'd opt for a capacity of 15-18k (you have to hope for a bit of expansion and growth in our support).

I see where your coming from LT.

Up in Southeast Queensland where most of the population of Queensland live they are 3 major Stadiums 2 less than 1km apart.

The First Suncorp Stadium in the center of Brisbane host the following clubs:- Brisbane Roar (A-League) Brisbane Broncos (Rugby League) Queensland Reds (Rugby Union) + Internationals with all codes. (Suncorp also hosts rock concerts)

The 2nd Stadium is across the river The 'Gabba host Queensland Bulls Cricket & Brisbane Lions (Aussie Rules) + International cricket.

The 3rd one is down on the Gold Coast Skilled Stadium host Gold Coast United (A-League) and Gold Coast Titans Rugby League)

Each team pulls a lot of punters in to see their team play...and SEQ has about a million people and not all are into the various football codes.

My suggestion is that the new Stadium at Ravenscraig should be multi-functional with MF&AC as landlord with MFC as major tenant.

The new Hampden :laugh:(Thanks to Maggie Thatcher) is a poor excuse for a national stadium has not changed the shape or location and should be demolished asap

I do agree that the old firm strangle hold on Scottish clubs has to go. As for the schools? well here in Oz we have all the religious schools... it just seems to be in Scotland and mostly on the west coast that the Rangers Celtic bile festers.

Still..... we can dream eh?:D

isn't the Land fir park is built on worth next to nothing?

This is true. Even before property prices collapsed it wasn't worth much, either in terms of area or location. Other clubs were able to sell land to supermarkets and get a well above average price, that wouldn't happen in our case.

More likely it would be sold for housing in which case it would raise much less money. There are large areas of land which were sold for housing close to Fir Park on which barely a house has been built because the market is completely depressed. It's entirely possible the land wouldn't even find a buyer or would have to be sold at a fraction of its 'worth'. A good deal for the land would be something in the region of £2 million pounds if local land prices and a guesstimate as to the total area of Fir Park is anything to go by.

So even in the best of all possible worlds the sale of the land would only cover a percentage of the total cost. And a soulless 'flat pack' stadium would cost roughly £10 million pounds requiring the majority of the cost of a new stadium to come from another source.

Quite where Motherwell would find an extra £8 million pounds I'm not sure.

To build anything more ambitious, than a generic Lego stadium cost much more.

I hate the look of the IKEA type stadiums that are popping up all over the place. Fir Park is full of history and memories and has a very unique look, which I'm sure we've all came to love over the years.

the only reason to move is if we are selling out ever week and need a bigger stadium.

Lets be honest Fir park is not the best, 4 stands all different sizes, seats in the POD that were state of the art in 1950 ffs, dodgy toilets in the East Stand, poor catering facilities, no car parking, a suspect pitch, limited scope to utilise the stadium for other commercial activities. Yes its time to move on :nod:

Sell FP and move up to the Craig site, build a proper footie stadium , ie enclosed Oval, close to the pitch etc Almondvale at livingston is a good example. The site could be developed to include commercial and leisure outlets, plenty of car parking, there is even going to be a new Rail station up there. Motherwell are advertising themselves as " Scotlands community club" this would be a chance to build an asset the whole community could use and be proud of.