Nicky Law

johnstone

This was in the Herald today.

SELFISHNESS is a trait which Nicky Law could never be readily accused of. In each of the past three seasons, Law has finished at the top of the assists chart in League Two.

That Law, a summer signing from Rotherham United, has an eye for a pass is not in doubt. What would have most impressed the Motherwell support who made the journey from Lanarkshire for this comprehensive 5-0 friendly win over Dumbarton on Saturday was the range of the left-midfielder’s passing; quick 1-2s, clever balls into space, whipped crosses into the penalty box and an “Adamesque” ability to spot and execute the diagonal pass.

Having now worked with the 23-year-old for the third time in his managerial career, Motherwell manager Stuart McCall is obviously acutely aware of the player’s benefits. “Ability-wise, he’s very good but he needs to add more goals to his game, so it was pleasing to see him get one,” said McCall.

Law heeded his manager’s advice by supplying the third and most sumptuous strike of an exceptionally comfortable Motherwell victory, playing a 1-2 with the much-wanted Jamie Murphy at the edge of the penalty box before impudently and delightfully chipping the ball over the on-rushing Stephen Grindlay.

“It was pleasing to get my first goal,” said Law. “I just thought ‘I’ll dink this one’ and, thankfully, it came off. I’ve really enjoyed it so far, I’m here to help the team out as much as I can but I know I definitely need to score more goals.”

Indeed, that was the only goal in which Law, who has scored a paltry five in his past two seasons, had direct involvement. The others arrived courtesy of two poacher’s finishes from Murphy and late strikes from Robert McHugh and Steven Saunders.

However, after last season’s top-six finish and reaching the final of one cup competition and the semi-final of the other, a valid question is: how do Motherwell improve on last season?

The answer, it seems, is in the actual product itself.

“We want to improve individually and collectively”, said McCall. “In the league we want to improve on last season, which would be fifth, but basically we want to go in week-in, week-out and win games but also to entertain – for people to go away having enjoyed what they’ve seen.”

Having spoken to a few friends down south it's widely believed that he's bound for bigger & better things.

I'm just glad we'll get to assist him in doing that, whilst obviously reaping the benefits as far as financially and service to the club go.

From what i've heard so far he sounds like a good signing so far, maybe a more attacking and creative player than Lasley or Jennings. Not that his goalscoring record worries me or that but i was just wondering, when was the last time we had a midfielder that chipped in with about 10 goals a season?

From what i've heard so far he sounds like a good signing so far, maybe a more attacking and creative player than Lasley or Jennings. Not that his goalscoring record worries me or that but i was just wondering, when was the last time we had a midfielder that chipped in with about 10 goals a season?

well_1070040a.jpg

:whistling:

4 of Forbes 9 goals from that season came from the spot. Take them away and he still got 5 goals from midfield, not bad considering it was his first season in full time football. Pretty sure Lasley and Jennings have only managed 5 goals between them in the last two seasons and I don't think coke or hughes got that many goals either.

But he's shite, slow, can't tackle, can't pass, can't shoot, can't move, can't play football, lazy.... etc ;)

Must be said, Forbes had a decent game on Saturday.

I agree Forbes looked ok on saturday, played some decent passes and even put in his fair share of tackles. The way the team was set up in the first half was like a 4-3-3 / 4-3-2-1 and i would expect that with a fully fit squad Forbes would be replaced by Jennings.

Anyway here's hoping Nicky Law can push on and have a great season, first signs looked promising.

From the sounds of it Nicky Law has the skills and we have been crying out for a left sided player for a long time now.

Potential team:

RANDY

SAUNDERS - HUTCHINSON - CRAIGAN - HAMMELL

HUMPH - LASLEY - JENNINGS - LAW

HIGDON - MURPHY

Thats a decent team. We have options in midfield in Forbes and Hateley. We also have Devlin who can slot in at right back.

For me we just need another striker as I would like more than just McHugh as backup. Especially as there is a chance we may lose Murphy

Apart from that I have total confidence in the kids we are bringing through and would be happy for them all to get their fair share of game time this season. The signs are positive that this is McCall's plan too.

From the sounds of it Nicky Law has the skills and we have been crying out for a left sided player for a long time now.

Potential team:

RANDY

SAUNDERS - HUTCHINSON - CRAIGAN - HAMMELL

HUMPH - LASLEY - JENNINGS - LAW

HIGDON - MURPHY

Thats a decent team. We have options in midfield in Forbes and Hateley. We also have Devlin who can slot in at right back.

For me we just need another striker as I would like more than just McHugh as backup. Especially as there is a chance we may lose Murphy

Apart from that I have total confidence in the kids we are bringing through and would be happy for them all to get their fair share of game time this season. The signs are positive that this is McCall's plan too.

Law is a right sided player but looked more than happy playing on the left.

I was speaking to a Dumbarton fan on Saturday who is convinced that Devlin will be a regular starter for us within 6 months. Its always good to have competition so maybe Saunders could focus on his natural position of centre half although this seems to write off Hateley who I think on his day (at right back) can be a great asset to the team, especially with his set pieces.

I think a few youngsters will take things up a level this season and start to make their mark.

All boads well at the moment.

Must be said, Forbes had a decent game on Saturday.

It's also worth remembering that the lad is still only 22 as well. He's got time to improve.

A season or a half season on loan again may do him some good, especially with the midfield looking a bit stacked this season.

Law is a right sided player but looked more than happy playing on the left.

Oh right I though from the match reports he was a left footer. Ach well as long as he look comfertable on the left.

Agree about Hateley he is a good right back, but I just don't feel he has shown enough in the middle of the park and I also feel Saunders is a much much better player. I honestly think he will be a regular in our national team pretty soon.

McCall at least has the option of three decent right backs at the club just now.

We are a wee bit light on the left with only really Hammell as a natural left back, but if we could get Gunning then we have the competition back for that place.

I dont think Saunders will play for Scotland again while that speckie fuck is in charge, i still dont know why he got called up against the Faroes. Not that he's not a good player but just levein doesn't seem to like our players unless they have dundee utd connections.

This signing of Nicky Law is i think one of the best the club have made. I seen a few of his games for Rotherham and he has some level of skill that will make him a star up here! I just hope he stays with us and then if he wants to move he goes to England and not the ugly sisters

Has Law shown any signs of the "being afraid to get stuck in" etc we've heard about him? I've heard that his attacking performances have been good so far, but not as much about tracking back etc.

If he is setting up 30 goals a season, he can sit on a deckchair in the centre circle for all I care. There is more to a balanced team than 'getting stuck in'.