Motherwell Kit Archive

underboyleheating

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which past kit if any would you like to see re-introduced as a future match worn kit?

• Kit A : Classic 1950?s rugby hooped sleeve shirt
    • Kit B : Classic 1960?s crewneck hooped shirt
    • Kit C : Classic 1970?s claret sash shirt
    • Kit D : Past kits should remain just that, in the past

As a massive kit fan I was keen to see the fans response to our 60's retro strip that was worn against Leeds United. For me, It brought memories flooding back to the first time that I saw Motherwell play at Fir Park. In recent times some clubs have revisted past designs and in the main received a positive response from the fans and kit design forums. This got me thinking of classic kits that we have worn throughout the years and I wondered which one if any you would vote to be re-introduced as a future match worn home kit. Or are you of the opinion that past designs should remain exactly that, and only re-issued as retro leisure wear. I realise these days that kit manufacturers mainly work from pre set templates and the chances of past kits being adopted are at best slim!

I've quickly sketched three past inspired kits, a 50s rugby style, 60s hooped, 70s sash and one completely new design but still with a retro feel. As the shirt sponsor is an integral part of any modern day kit, I have included the obligatory logo in all the designs. I chose corporate giant Coca-Cola as like us they are celebrating their 125th anniversary. I'm sure if approached, they would have sponsored us for this season! laugh.gif

You can vote for either kit A, B, C or D. A vote for D will mean that you think past kits should remain just that, in the past. If there is any other home shirt from our kit history you think merits a re-issue, just mention it in your post. Our full kit history archive is available here.

2zhmljp.jpg

It's actually quite a tricky thing to vote for to be honest.

If any newly issued 'Well kit has the claret band/hoop set against an amber jersey then really that's the main thing for me.

Whether we have amber, claret or white shorts, a roundneck, V or foldover collar and whatever flashes and shadow designs happen to the trend of the day dictate I'm fairly relaxed about that.

If pushed I'd probably select B as it was so visibly pleasing on the eye at the weekend but as I say follow the above and I'll go with it.

If any newly issued 'Well kit has the claret band/hoop set against an amber jersey then really that's the main thing for me.

I actually don't mind the claret sash top. I realise that could be purely for sentimental reasons, as you tend to fall in love with kits you remember seeing as a kid.

"A" is the classic kit and to my mind is the best of them all, though "B" is a reasonably close second. That said, I wouldn't like to see either as the current strip, simply because the sponsor's logo (any sponsor) and the SPL requisite numbers/patches takes the look off them. Their beauty lies in their simplicity - something that isn't possible in the modern era of multiple sponsors/ sleeve patches/ dictated types of player names and numbers, so it's a "D" vote for me.

Unfortunately it wouldn't be allowed these days.

See to get round that could we not put the players names nearer the bottom of the shirt, under the hoop? A few teams in Germany have this, I think, as they have a sponsor running across the shoulders.

See to get round that could we not put the players names nearer the bottom of the shirt, under the hoop? A few teams in Germany have this, I think, as they have a sponsor running across the shoulders.

Nope, there are SPL Brand Guidelines which have to be followed

Id love to see another version of the black away top with the white band and claret and amber lining on the collar and sleeves. The old one sponsored by motorola made by pony was one of my all time favourite motherwell tops.

Glad to see there is still a healthy interest in past iconic designs. I’m surprised how well the rugby style top is doing as I wrongly assumed it would only be popular with the older generation. In saying that it may well be only people over 45 who have voted for it! It looks like the classic 60s anniversary hooped top is still a vote winner, even among the younger fans. Just shows that true design classics stand the test of time.

As I said before it’s doubtful whether any past kits could be revived as a match kit, due to the fact that nearly all major kit producers rely on pre designed templates. In order to achieve this the club would probably have to go down the Kilmarnock route and produce our own kit from scratch. Or just speak nicely to our kit supplier.

Glad to see there is still a healthy interest in past iconic designs. I’m surprised how well the rugby style top is doing as I wrongly assumed it would only be popular with the older generation. In saying that it may well be only people over 45 who have voted for it!

Steady, I'm still 20 years away from that!

I went for kit 'A' even though all 4 are cracking tbh.

I prefer football tops with a proper collar on them and kit A is similar to the Hummel style we were wearing in '93 when I went to my first games at FP.

Obviously the retro one is way better though... :nod:

I played for the Boys Club when we were coached by a couple of the players and trained at Fir Park. We were also given the old kit to play in when it was past its sell by date. That was B and I still have photo's of me in that strip and therefore it was an easy choice.

• 1 year later...

With our new home and away kits for 2013-14 soon to be released, is there any preference on here on how you would like them to look? Some on here are staunch traditionalists, others are keen to see a change. We will of course be limited to Puma templates, however I am sure if required we will still be able to add a hoop or band to any existing design templates.

I started this thread some time ago with the thought of relaunching a classic kit from our past kit archive. Maybe the time is right to take a break from the more traditional Motherwell kit and opt for something a bit different. Any thoughts?

Motherwell home kits through the years.

Some recent Puma templates.