Jamie Murphy - Is This His Year?

David

Ive always noticed how bad we are at getting good money for our players it seems,

You look at Dundee Utd saying £2million for Goodwillie

Hearts getting £1.7million for Wallace in his last year of his contract

as i said Hamilton getting £3 million for McCarthy (and im sure 1.2 million for McCarthur but dont quote me on that)

Paul Quinn, David Clarkson even as far back as McCulloch and Faddy we dont tend to go for high prices as soon as its over a million it seems we snap their hands off (i know each transfer might be different and some players left for fook all but stay with me :whistling: )

I have an image of say Wigan going 900,000 and our 'board' going YES PLEASE!!

• Like 1

If we sell Murphy in this window for less than £2M then there will be no buy into the club from me or several other people I've spoken to about it.

He is key to our success this season, a lynch-pin in the team going for 4th, maybe even 3rd or another final. We can command a healthy fee for him next year, assuming he is injury free.

I hope other people make their voices known when the time comes if the club keep bending over to me fucked for almost any amount of pocekt-changer for other bigger clubs.

• Like 1

We are a selling club. If someone offers 1.5 million he could well be gone.

However, McCall is not an idiot and I'm sure he has a few irons in the fire for this eventuality. If he has a striking equivalent of Law lined up, I'd be happy enough.

We sell top players every couple of years or so and, despite the regular panic, normally seem to get by without them.

a confidence player if every there was one and once he realises that he is one of the best, there will be no stopping him

Totally agree with this... Jamie's an absolute gem of a boy, just wish he could be more of a bstd when he walks on the park! His next move is as important to him as it is to the club, just hope they both choose the right way forward.

Any comparison with past transfers is pretty pointless, as all players including Pearson, Clarky, Quinn, Reynolds, McDonald, Porter, Foran - all of them even including McCormack (whom we received a nominal fee/compensation) - the one thing they all had in common was that they had a matter of months left on their respective deals. As such, we were in no position to bargain with any possible suitors. We knew we would be unable to sign the players to longer deals, and subsequently we were left with the options of taking the money or losing them within 6/12 months and receiving nothing. As such, the club rightly took the money for the players.

The only comparison that is remotely similar, would be Faddy - that in itself it tarnished with the fact we were in Administration and a bawhair away from being liquidated. As such ANY bid of that value would have to be accepted, and we were in no position to haggle a better price and deal. And in the climate of 2002/2003 we got a good deal for McFadden when you include the sell-on clause that was inserted (albeit we got lucky that Brum/Eck splashed out £5.5m for him). Transfer fee's have escalated through the roof since then, and in today's market £1.5m is probably about £4m. So, in no circumstances did we get a raw deal for McFadden - we got roughly the going rate of the time.

If anything the only one that can be compared fully would be we said no to Rangers (albeit there is a lot of doubt as to the way the deal was made up) for Reynolds. We reckoned we could get more money by holding on to him and letting him grow as a player. Unfortunately, it never quite worked out how we thought it would. But, just shows there is scope from the board to reject bids if they indeed believe they can get more by holding on to them.

So, there is no reason to criticise the board from past transfers - this is the first potential transfer where they really can make a stance and basically tell them "£2m or fuck off" as he is under a lengthy contract - and I fully believe that no derisory bid will be accepted. Besides, Murphy seems a sensible, level-headed player and don't particularly see him wanting to jump ship any time soon - unless a bid is accepted by Motherwell. Great to see that no agents appear involved in the press, stirring the interest. Seems a really good party behind him as well.

Potential to be the biggest transfer ever out of FP anyway, amazing how much he has developed even in the last few months.

• Like 1

Lets be honest with ourselves for a minute, Motherwell are a selling club, they always have been and the first decent 7 figure offer that comes in for Murphy will be accepted and he will be off.

But just for a change i would like the board to think about the teams prospects and keep players like Murphy for as long as they can,he is a young player and will move eventually. Ii would rather he stayed, banged in the goals, helped Motherwell to maybe 3rd place in the league, european qualification, possible cups runs etc this season and hopefully next than have some director tell me that the club is ok and we have a couple of million in the bank. :nod:

He is worth probably 2 million so what could we do with that, buy 1 or 2 new players, improve the stadium, pay off the clubs debts ? All this will happen anyway so lets for once try to keep our best talent and let SMC get them playing some good football, the signs so far this season have been encouraging.

Andy McInnes in The Express

I was gonna pick holes in this shite but theres no fuckin point

The final sentence is a brammer tho - finest piece of perceptive journalism I've prolly ever read.

CELTIC have made moves to snatch Scotland under 21 striker Jamie Murphy from under the noses of rivals Rangers as well as a host of Premiership and Championship clubs.

Motherwell hit-man Jamie Murphy who is valued at £1m has impressed Celtic boss Neil Lennon who had him watched again when he netted the second goal in Saturday's 3 - 0 win over Inverness Caley.

Murphy's latest performance only served to increase the Hoops interest in him and to open talks with a view to a transfer deal being struck sooner rather than later.

But the move will also alert Rangers who have been monitoring Murphy and could turn their attention to the self confessed Ibrox fan if no deal can be agreed with Dundee Utd for David Goodwillie.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez who was at Fir Park at the weekend is also keen on the attacker who has represented Scotland at both under 19 and under 21 level and is under contract until May 2013.

Scouts from Spurs, West Brom, Crystal Palace and Wolves have all compiled reports on Murphy whose long term future at Motherwell now looks in doubt.

PS - If Lennon was actually here on Saturday - why would he have to have Murphy watched???

Just had a text from a Rangers fan stating that Rangers are supposed to be putting a bid in for Murphy. No source confirmed yet, so not sure if true or a wind up. If the latter it fits in well with the Express story, a load of pish from lazy hacks. :wallbash:

I wish people would stop rolling out this "if he stays with us for another year he'll learn more and develop more than if he moves" line. Yes if he stays he gets first team football, but say for example he does move to Wigan or somewhere like that, he'll be getting game time alongside Premiership class players and taught by Premiership class coaches. Low Prem/high Championship teams will be able to develop him more than him skinning fuds like Ross Tokely every other week.

• Like 1

But is that true? With this current ownership thing in the air and yet to be finalised, a decent amount of money (high six figures/low seven) with some nice added bonuses on top could easily see Weir and Dempster go "thank you very much, please come again"...

I actually think the timing of this will sway the board to keep Murphy,with the community ownership project due to be finalised in the next few months i think it will make the board think twice about selling Murphy in this transfer window,how many fans are they going to get to buy into it if they have just recently sold our best player,so given the timing i think Murphy will go now only if its for silly money.

I wish people would stop rolling out this "if he stays with us for another year he'll learn more and develop more than if he moves" line. Yes if he stays he gets first team football, but say for example he does move to Wigan or somewhere like that, he'll be getting game time alongside Premiership class players and taught by Premiership class coaches. Low Prem/high Championship teams will be able to develop him more than him skinning fuds like Ross Tokely every other week.

Thing is though, it's not like he's outgrown the SPL. I still think he's got a fair bit to go before he could handle the premiership.. He's still pretty weak and his shooting is often quite poor. I think he'd get stifled in the EPL. If he moved right now that is.

That's only true if he actually gets game time. There a countless examples of young guys who move south and barely get to kick a ball. That's the danger and why guaranteed first team football is better for development than bench warming.

Why do you think guys like Blackman and the Duke came up to Fir Park on loan? Because they were gagging for first team games.

That's only true if he actually gets game time. There a countless examples of young guys who move south and barely get to kick a ball. That's the danger and why guaranteed first team football is better for development than bench warming.

Why do you think guys like Blackman and the Duke came up to Fir Park on loan? Because they were gagging for first team games.

Yes but even if he isn't getting a regular game down South or at Celtic/Rangers or wherever, he will be getting mentored by a higher standard of coach and training/learning alongside players of a higher quality which will benefit him greatly in the longer run. If he signed for Celtic or Rangers he'd get a regular game, I'm sure of that and would do very well at either club as he's proved already with us that he can cut it in the SPL and has the potential to get even better.

I hope Jamie Murphy stays with us but it's looking increasingly unlikely and I'll be surprised if he's still here when the window shuts.

Yes but even if he isn't getting a regular game down South or at Celtic/Rangers or wherever, he will be getting mentored by a higher standard of coach and training/learning alongside players of a higher quality which will benefit him greatly in the longer run.

One more year of regular first team football in the SPL, IMO, will benefit him more than one year of training with Leeds Utd. reserves. You only need to see how far of the pace some of our loanees from England have been to see how that can take the edge of your game.

You just need to look at that twat James McCarthy as an example as I for one felt he could not / would not hold his own down south and even laughed at the prospect of watching him getting the runaround.

but

not only has he proved me wrong but he has the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea scouts all over him , and that shows you what improvements you can make to a players ability just with a better standard of coaching and training with higher quality of players . Dont want him to go but if we can get a 7 figure deal AND maybe a top striker on loan from the team (Wigan if thats where he goes) for a season then it may be time to wish him all the best in his future.

@MJC, but thats not what you said :rolleyes:

I'd agree he has more chance of games at Ibrox but almost no chance of a regular game at Celtic

still dont think he'd be a regular at either unless there is an injury crisis that he would be sure to benefit from