Kilmarnock Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

MUCH louder today. Great effort by the guys down the front. 892 away fans apparently. Killie fans were playing each other at Chess or reading. Only reason I can think of for stadium wide silence.

Almost a thousand away fans for Killie is a good number, yeah? Certainly sounded more like a home game online, with a good atmosphere.

shows the expectations from some fans that an away draw against Killie, who often gives us problems, is deemed somehow not good enough. By all accounts is was a fair result, as their were chances at both ends. As for the comments that the subs bench lacked options, that seems to go against the running a smaller but better quality squad out the water. Gods only knows what our squad would have looke like had we not got to semi final, cup final and top six finnish last season.

A draw and clean sheet should not be dismissed as a poor result. We are still top of the league!

Wasn't so long ago Kilmarnock were easily bringing in double that for a game against teams like ourselves. 892 is a pretty good away support for us down there to be honest.

Almost a thousand away fans for Killie is a good number, yeah? Certainly sounded more like a home game online, with a good atmosphere.

It is. Good weather and a nice bit of optimism around the team. The fact both teams like to play decent fitba didn't hurt either.

Watching the game on Alba and we've had a good bit of possession in the first have but the match is crap ,just crap ,its no wonder the game is dying on its feet ,sterile footie.

Strong words there, Jim. Do you really think the Scottish game is dying? I know it's a whole other thread but why do you think that is, and what needs to be done?

I think Killie will surprise a lot of people this season, they are no mugs and they have a decent manager there!! I think we will be fighting it out for 4th place with them and Dundee Utd this year!! Very Good away point......Still top of the League pissin down on the old firm scum!!

Enjoyed the day out today in the sun. I'd say that had we took our chances we could have got the three points. Law had a chance in the second half that should have been tucked away rather than try the chip. Felt Chris down the right had many chances to use his pace and go by there left back, and also not to mention the amount of times the ball got left behind or hit of his heels. Overall happy with a point away from home and a second clean sheet of the season. Lastly well done to all the folks down the bottom with the flags and drums....keep it up what yous are doing, you lot are making a good bit of noise in the away end!!

Mon The 'Well

Watching the game on Alba and we've had a good bit of possession in the first have but the match is crap ,just crap ,its no wonder the game is dying on its feet ,sterile footie.

Utter shite, you are talking out your arse.

The game was good and very entertaining with both teams trying to get the ball down and play decent football. One of the problems with Scottish football is people like you get annoyed if we have the audacity to string three passes together and don't just lump it long at the first chance. Whilst most nations Scotland play at International level and in European games are all much more adept at keeping the ball, retaining possesion and waiting for the opening.

We played well considering we were without Higdon and I feel although Mchugh did a decent job he should have made way for Smith for the last 20 mins as he was blowing out his arse and it would have given us someone with a physical presence up front to try and get on the end of cross or a set piece. Law really should have scored.

Still top of the league without a goal conceeded. :cheers:

I thought we were pretty poor today in all honesty, no urgency and no real threat on goals. Humphrey had a mare, if he wasn't falling over his feet he was hiding, no overlapping from Hateley on the wing and we really struggled to create much.

McHugh, I'm afraid won't cut it at this level, he was a waste of a jersey today. Both teams pretty much negated each other and all the action was in the midfield.

Good support there from ourselves, unlike Killie, they were silent until about the 80th minute, not even a Hello Hello from them today.

The ref today was a bit ropey, did his best to let it flow at times, probably missed a good penalty shout in the first half for Killie and a questionable handball in the second half for us and did make some inexplicable free kick decisions.

Pretty poor all round, but if you'd offered me 4 points from the first two matches I'd have been happy.

Just back. I'd say it was somewhere between 'sterile' and 'very entertaining'. Nowhere as good as last week but it was away from home and against a decent team. Quite a few have tipped Kilmarnock to go down but based on today I don't think they have much to worry about, they look pretty solid and Dayton looks a player, he was ripping us apart at times. I didn't think their forwards caused us too many problems though but it will take them time to find a partnership between Buijs, Hutchison and Heffernan.

Overall a draw was probably the right result but we would have won the match if Law had passed to McHugh for an easy tap in. I don't know what he was thinking about and I felt he struggled a bit today.

Bell had to make a couple of great saves but overall we struggled to create many chances. I think there was two reasons for that.

Firstly we missed Higdon today. There was no one to play off, win headers and ruffle up the defence. McHugh worked hard but he doesn't have Higdon's physical presence and it's ironic that that he was missing today when we probably had more corner kicks than in a long time. I'd maybe suggest that if Higdon is missing it would be better to play Gary Smith who at least has some height and will win high balls. If Murphy is missing then play McHugh, but the partnership didn't really work today, it was too small and lightweight against some big Killie defenders.

Second point was that Shiels mentioned before the match that he had a tactical stroke up his sleeve and Killie played a 3-5-2 in the first half which was pretty successful at closing us down. We were outnumbered in the middle and to be fair I thought Manny Pascali sitting just behind the two other midfielders did a really good job snuffing us out in the midfield.

So not the greatest 90 minutes following the 'Well but not the worst either. Looks like we'll probably be top of the league for a second week running, kept another clean sheet, and as I always say 'you drop points at home, you gain points away'.

A win next week and we are off to a great start.

McHugh, I'm afraid won't cut it at this level, he was a waste of a jersey today.

:laugh:

Fuckin hell give me strength.

1 start!

Is that all he gets before being written off?

He wasn't even that bad considering he was left isolated by himself for long spells, no real service for him as you yourself admitted that the game was played mostly in the midfield. Instead he was forced too feed off scraps and balls chipped in to him against a 6'4 centre half. He also came closest to scoring for us in the first half with a chance largely down to his own work. forcing a good save from Bell. Not to mention when Law was through if had looked up and played it to Mchugh who was free on the six yard line he would have had a tap in and probably been the match winner.

He was by no means brilliant and tired badly towards the end which was evident and should have been replaced by Smith but he was far from the abomination you describe.

A fare result if i am being honest, a point away at Kilmarnock will be hard to come by if today is anything to go by, a good effort, and a point keeps us top of the SPL. It makes good reading, as for personal performances, all round good effort, Humphrey was seen more in his defensive mode which in part kept there left back pretty much in tack, his defensive side is improving, as for the midfeild some good link up play, Murphy pretty much coasted through the game with no real endeavour, Mchugh was ok, it was a big ask for him to come straight into the starting lineup and be a star but he done ok and had our best chance.

Randolf was solid, and pulled off some good saves, but i am happy with the point and still unbeaten.

WE NEVER LOST.

• Like 1

Aye, there was a surprisingly large away crowd today, and the 'Well boys were in good voice at the front left of the stand.

Today highlighted the fact that we seriously need a striker. McHugh doesn't seem up to the job. I was hoping he'd step up to the plate today, but he was largely awol.

In all we fully deserved the point we got, even if we could have gotten all three had we been a bit sharper.

I don't really know what to make of that game. Part of me thinks it was pish, part of me thinks there was some really good football played. Kind of reminded me of Jim Gannon football a bit in that every goal kick was short and they were playig about the back 4.

I think both teams lacked a real killer instinct but Kenny Shiels made a good point in his post-match interview in that both keepers made excellent saves to keep the scores level. I was sure Jennings' was in and without seeing a replay iId be surprised to see a better save all season. I was pretty much right in front of the penalty shout from Killie after 5 mins and veryone around me thought it was a stonewaller.

As for individuals, McHugh should never be getting the pelters he's getting - OK he wasn;t a worldbeater but he worked very hard, created a few good chances and should have scored the winner with a great burtsing run if Law wasn't greedy and tried to score himself. McCall should have changed it and put on Smith after 70-75 minutes cos he was blowing out his arse. Not Murphy's best performance and particularly cos I had a tenner on him as first scorer! I felt the big lumps at the back were there to be ran at and he or Humphrey never really did that, although Killie were constantly showing Humphrey inside which stunted him big style.

Great defensive performance from Hutchinson and Craigan I thought although they both had dodgy moments in possession.

Oh and Dayton is a prick.

Could have been better, could have been worse.

How good the results and points collected are thus far will only really become apparent once the league settles down but I agree with the poster pre-match who said as a general rule a point away from home in the SPL is not to be sniffed at.

I thought we were going to be in for a tricky afternoon when Killie grabbed the initiative early on but we coped with that and gradually got on top of the match. Prior to McHugh's effort it was still Kilmarnock who looked more dangerous in front of goal but we had more of the possession.

In the 2nd half I thought again we were slightly the better of the two teams but similar to the first half Killie were never out of it and they were worryingly pushing on strongly towards the end of the game.

Bumped into siebsbarmyarmy after the game and he queried the lack of changes which might have given us some fresh legs at that stage - in Chris Humphrey who looked shot after about 70-75 minutes. It seemed a good shout and it might have been worth trying Lawless or going for Smith instead of McHugh, though at the same time I could see why McCall might have wanted to stick with what was out there.

But we got a point in the end allied to a second successive shut-out that's not too bad an afternoon's work.

I wouldn't go quite as far as the ultra-enthusiastic Kenny Shiels in his praise of the game but it was far from being "crap" as has been suggested by PostieJim. The overall quality of finishing might have been lacking at times but both teams generally attempted to play some good football.

Is it just me or did anybody else think Hateley had an absolute shocker? Bar 1 excellent ball for Murphy in 2nd half he defended horribly and crossed dreadfully.

Overall was very enjoyable game, good atmosphere (in our end),

Killie supporters were almost the worst ive ever seen, completely dead.

I thought McHugh looked like a nice player, a bit Scott Mcdonald-esk and put himself about considering it was his 1st start.

Murphy disappeared for a while and he needs to stay involved more and look for the ball, in that respect he can learn from Law i think who is always trying to create something.

Hutchy was solid as was Craigan and Hammel.

Humphrey looked a bit unconfident and seemed to doubt himself when it came to taking the full back on but when he did he began to cause problems.

However he whole team looked shattered in the last 10 minutes and i think Mccall really needs to bring in a couple new players at least. And a point is a very good result considering they should of had a stonewall penalty in the 1st minute.

Also like to say Killie had some excellent players, there right winger, black striker in 1st half, and black left winger who came on in 2nd all looked particularly dangerous.

EDIT: James Dayton, Ben Hutchison, Silva.

Not an away point to be scoffed at!

Edited by Stuart McCall