Motherwell V Hearts Discussion Thread

postiejim

Good result today. Always good to beat that mob. I felt that the game was a bit turgid until Black got sent off. That lifted the crowd which spurred the team on. No complaints about either red card but O'Reilly is a fucking disgrace.

I was impressed with Murphy's strength today. Standing up and bumping the Hearts' defence off the ball. Hope to fuck we can keep the boy. Allegedly Fat Sally was in the crowd the day.

Top of the League too.

:thumbup::cheers::drinks:

I knew that was comin.

I'm just making what I think is an obvious observation. Mchugh almost cost us a goal when he gave the ball away at killie clearly because he was knackered and didn't want it when passed to him. Lasley experienced as he is is wreckless in the tackle at the best of times. If we can't cope without him for ten minutes in a game we're winning and in control of then we're in big trouble next week without him!

Great win great start long may it continue.

Its not we couldn't cope more rather it gave them more momentum La's being sent off as they were a goal down and already throwing all they could at us. Some perspective please ;) We did win after all.

First half some of the poorest football I have seen. Boring stuff. All kicked off when Black got his marching orders. Some difference in Black and Lasley coming off the pitch after red cards. All about attitude and this comparison says volumes imo.

For what it's worth I thought Tom Hateley was superb today. Winning tackles, linking well with Humphrey, and getting forward. More of that please.

Delighted with the result today. It was one we had to tough out at times, but we did play some nice fitba too. Hearts had no intention of making this a fitba match, preferring to sit deep, pass the ball about the back and kick us all over the park. O'Reilly was up to his usual, talking to our lads for a soft foul whilst allowing their thugs to do what ever they pleased. On that note, Ian Back is a dirty wee junkie scumbag.

So, top of the league and still unbeaten. What delights me most is our clean sheet record. If you have a solid defence then you give yourself a chance of winning. So for all the praise guys like Murphy and Law have received, the same has to be said of Crags and his fellow defenders.

St Midden next week, here's hoping for another win. Would be nice to have the Blue Filth here with us still top!

two crucial points in the match for me. 1) randy's save from driver just before half time 2) black's sending off

i thought hearts stopped us playing at all and they'd probably have gone on to sneak win but after black got sent off it was one way traffic and a comfortable win in the end.

Still top of the league :yahoo:

Think once he has calmed down and looks at it again he may have to concede there was nothing debatable about that one. Unlike the one that went for them there as no malice in either of his tackles but both missed and both were late and the two yellows were correct in my view. Though to be honest after Black's tackle I reckoned that it would be months before we'd see him again so to only have a one game ban is not the worst result.

As for the game, Hearts did a good job on us in the first half in giving us no space to play in and as a result the game became rather turgid and stuffy but for the most part we did have the better chances and could easily have been two up after seven minutes. There were some niggly tackles in the first half and it was a slight concern in that part of the game that Law, Murphy and Higdon seemed to disappear and Hearts gained a few chances through overrunning the midfield and Saunders having a couple of moments.

Second half we started a bit better and then that tackle came and the number of times I have seen Motherwell look completely clueless against ten men it was great to see our team actually batter them for twenty minutes. It gave us the room we needed to play and Law suddenly looked like the creative player he can be and Hateley and Humphrey began to really dominate their side.

Our achilles heel still looks like being lasting 90 minutes. I'd hoped with a full pre season behind us that would be a daemon left in 2010/11 but a team who had played on Thursday and had chased the ball a man down for 30 minutes that looked fitter. Lasley gave the ball away and from that same passage conceded a daft 2nd yellow and our advantage was wiped out. However we did stand firm and we did deserve our win but my we do make it tough.

Though make no mistake if we are to do anything more than midtable this season we need reinforcements. Our strongest team is fine but we have nothing to support it.

smashing result today, although I felt that we gave Hearts far too much respect in the 1st half, we stood off them too much and allowed them a lot of ball posession. They are mince (although they are missing three or four decent players) and I couldnt work out what formation they were going to play after hearing their line-up - we will dominate most midfields over the course of the season with Lasley and Jenno and we should have been all over Hammill and Black because the two of them are stinking individually and collectively. The boy McGowan at right back and Grainger at left back are both howling too.

I think McCall probably gave the team a rocket at half-time because we took it to them from the word 'go' and in my opinion we would have beaten then with or without that wee mongo Black.

Goal aside, I was disappointed with Murphy, tried too much at times and just looked slightly out of sorts, keep it up until the 1st of September Jamie and then get back to what we know you can do :thumbup: .

Higdon will get goals in this team, I'm convinced of it. Some of his knock-ons, flicks and hold up play was brilliant but he needs to do more work in the box.

Humphrey, is frustrating me more an more each time I watch him, he needs to understand what he is good at in my opinion, and that is getting the ball down, knocking it by the full back and jogging by him as if he isnt there, but for whatever reason (possibly the strapping on his legs is a pointer) he seems reluctant to do that. He isnt effective trying to play as a tricky winger, and he really needs to sort his crossing out.

Jenno and Lasley played to their usual high standards throughout the match.

Yet another clean sheet, well done to Randy and the defence.

As for Hearts?

I said to my mate on the way to the game, that I have no idea how anybody can support that Club anymore, with all the off-field shenanigans, managerial comings and goings, paedo-harbouring, etc ad infinitum..............add to that there horrific brand of fitba' - hatchetmen all over the park, diving about all over the place, constantly playing the ball back to Kello, slowing the tempo of the match down to a stroll in the 1st half - their main aim of the game was to stop us playing :doh: .

Spurs will fuck them up and down the place.

........and the referee? Mr O'Reilly is an utterly incompetent idiot, and he gets a grand a game. Something isnt right with that one.

What a very pleasing result!!

The team should be high in confidence anyway given the start to the season but they should be flying after that today. Beating a similar mid-ranking SPL team is great, getting a clean sheet a decent point against another similar side where you were pumped on your last visit is great too. But taking three points from a team who folk were saying could potentially be splitting the Old Firm should be one you can really take confidence from. Doubts and fears if there are any should be melting away after that.

First half wasn't up to much. Thought that both teams were looking to play a similar game of drawing the other out and then trying to break at speed. Worked a couple of times for both teams. We didn't force a save from their keeper whilst Randy produced another two toppers to deny them.

Second half we looked to have upped the tempo considerably even before Black walked. After he went I thought it was largely intelligent and measured displayed against the 10 men. Up until about the last five or ten minutes when it began to get a bit frantic the composure was good. There was no panic or mad charge to get a goal just because they were a man down. Important not to forget that these bams have had so many red cards over the past few seasons that playing with 10 men won't be anything particularly different for them.

Great to see Murphy get another goal after a quiet game last week and more key involvement from Nicky Law. Brilliant too for a sometimes maligned defence to have another clean sheet too.

Other than the red card for Las you can't help but feel positive.