Motherwell V Hearts Discussion Thread

postiejim

Looks like Jefferies departure hasn't affected them too much then. Hopefully they'll be tired after last night, although maybe the good win will give them a confidence boost which they'll carry into Sunday?

Unfotunately i reckon it'll be the latter and their confidence will be sky-high. 2 games in 4 days isn't going to tire them this early into the season (that and the fact their squad is huge). The way that their new man spoke he was going to use JJ's tactics for the Paks game last night so i'm hoping he tries his own for the weekend and doesn't quite have enough time to perfect it with the squad leaving them a bit unsure of what's expected of them.

In terms of our team and tactics i reckon without Higdon we'll struggle up top which would sway me to think playing a 4-5-1 might be a good idea. I'd have Saunders slotting in at right back and Hateley joining Las and Jenno in the midfield with Humphrey and Law pushing up to support Murphy. Hopefully with the pace Chris, Jamie and Nicky have, we could do well on the counter as i can see the Jamobos dominating much of the possession in their own and our half. An optimistic 2-1 win with Murphy getting one early on and Hutchinson scoring a last minute winner :thumbup:

I think it said on the Motherwell facebook that Higdon will be given until kick off to prove his fitness. It was in an interveiw with Kenny Black. If we have a decent turn out, both wings are getting used to their best capacity and everyone except the two centre backs having something to do with an attack or two then I don't think we'll struggle too much. (Notice I've changed my tune from my last prediction :lol: ) Still reckon We'll win though but maybe not by two goals or more. 2-1 'Well is my new prediction. :P

You must have missed McHugh making Cammy Bell pull off the save of the match last week.

Arguable, you'd expect someone of Cammy Bell's standard to save McHugh's shot quite routinely.

His tip over of Jennings shot in the 2nd half was far more outstanding. Right behind it and was destined for the top corner, absolutely outstanding save.

But, we ain't here to discuss the merits of Cammy Bell.

FWIW, players need a run of games a la Blackman and Jutkiewicz, therefore McHugh needs more than one start to feel comfortable, gain a full understanding of the play of the team, and general pace/physicality of the SPL - worthy of another start, at least.

FWIW, players need a run of games a la Blackman and Jutkiewicz, therefore McHugh needs more than one start to feel comfortable, gain a full understanding of the play of the team, and general pace/physicality of the SPL - worthy of another start, at least.

If Higdon fails his medical before the game I think McCall will start with McHugh.

The only problem is, if things don't go well against Hearts I can see him taking some abuse, which won't do his confidence any good I'd imagine.

Hearts will be an absolutely hellish game in terms of trying to get a confidence boost, without the fans getting on his back, because he's not a physical monster to compete with their back line. He needs time, and the Hearts game, barring him doing something special (entirely possible) shouldn't be one to judge him on this early.

I would just as readily play McHugh or Smith rather than Higdon and why not what has Higdon done in the games hes played in.

the difference between higdon playing and occupying defenders and him not being there was pretty stark last saturday.

i'd give boab the nod tomorrow. i'd expect us to come fast out the blocks and press them and he might be able to some joy in the box.

I really worry about this game if Higdon is out. I dont think McHugh or Smith are ready to play at SPL level. McHugh last week was making runs behind Killie defenders looked to me like he isn't quite confident enough. We need another striker in ASAP. Score tommorow Well 0 Hearts 3. <_>

We better fuckin win, the best man at my wedding is a jambo and work with him so ill never hear the end of it if we get beat. If we get at them early 3-0 Well but the longer it goes goal-less the I can see they c***s nicking it.

CMON THE WELL!!!