What Does Murphy Need To Do?

TAM

Because Wallace has moved to one of the OF, he'll now get a call up?

Thats how I read it...

I read it as if Lee Wallace had moved to one of the OF, he'd be in the squad. :blink:

Of course, even if you're right, he hasn't been called-up. :huh:

Maybe it's just been a long day! :lol:

It's my fault. I didn't realise he was now a rangers player! I reckoned the thing holding Levein from picking him was his team rather than ability, assuming that he'd benefit from preferential old firm treatment before he'd even kicked a ball for them.

But as he's a rangers player, the point was useless dry.gif

(So now my thought is that he'll feature in the next Scotland squad by dint of playing for the old firm)

It's my fault. I didn't realise he was now a rangers player! I reckoned the thing holding Levein from picking him was his team rather than ability, assuming that he'd benefit from preferential old firm treatment before he'd even kicked a ball for them.

But as he's a rangers player, the point was useless dry.gif

Fair enough, I guessed it was either that or you'd meant to say "hadn't".

But aye, he was capped as a Hearts player, found to be gash at international level, and dropped. His move to Rangers is irrelevant, as it is for most players. The idea that players move to the Old Firm and get called up is a complete and utter myth. The only evidence for it is because when a good Scottish player bursts onto the scene in the SPL and forces his way into the thoughts of the international manager, the Old Firm are usually sniffing about trying to sign him anyway.

Mark Wilson should have been in the squad on a regular basis and never got a look in, yet has played for Celtic for years.

I agree he's a wally, but I don't think he dislikes Motherwell.

I remember listening to Craig Levein on the eve of our Euro game against Odense last season on Radio Scotland and he could not have beem more positive about the club, the young players, the way well try to play football and the contribution the club makes to the SPL. He was knowledgable about the players and spoke about Motherwell with what seemed like a real affection. I was very surprised at the time but pleasantly so.

• Like 1

I remember listening to Craig Levein on the eve of our Euro game against Odense last season on Radio Scotland and he could not have beem more positive about the club, the young players, the way well try to play football and the contribution the club makes to the SPL. He was knowledgable about the players and spoke about Motherwell with what seemed like a real affection. I was very surprised at the time but pleasantly so.

Shhhh. Levein hates Motherwell, everyone knows that, it is a fact because loads of folk have said it. :whistling:

• 1 month later...

If were going to be honest Forrest was the motm on Saturday, Murphy got a bit to do before he makes the Scotland squad ahead of him going by Sats showing.

Forrest is playing in a team full of internationals against a side that cost less collectively than two of their players.

Stick Forrest in the Motherwell team and lets see how he does against Celtic at Parkhead.

• Like 2

Must say that Forrest looked like a very good player on Sunday and cant really understand why everyone on here is so against him, maybe time some people took off the claret and amber specs. I think overall Murphy and Forrest are at a similar level although different types of players but the main thing they both need to work on is consistency.

That was Forrest's best game to date.

He has been on the edge of the first team there and I think in terms of what both players had shown up to the squad selection prior to the two qualifiers. Murphy was a way in front.

One game doesn't change it all, however Forrest might push on from this and establish himself in their first team. The involvement of youngsters in the national team set up generall results in a big confidence boost. I remember the effect it used to have on Tom Boyd way back.

I think the old Internationla confidence boost theory kicked in on Saturday (plus getting the early goal)

I had watched a few of Sellicks televised games prior to saturday and to be frank the we guy couldnae kick his own arse.

I feel for Murphy because the opposite could be true of him. Thinking that he's probably due a wee call up and it doesn't come. Then when we've one striker left standing he mibbe thinks 'I could be in here' - then no call comes. Heid could be doon. Let's hope he doesn't take it (too) personally and can get back to some decent form.

One of Murphy's failings is hes always posted missing in the big games.

I would contest that althought it depends what you might class as a "big game" I suppose.

Certainly he didn't have a great Scottish Cup Final or performed particularly well in the most recent games against the Old Firm.

But consider the Semi Final where he scored a sensational solo goal, or the Quarter Final replay against Dundee Utd both of which I'd class as big games.

He's our top scorer in Europe, with a hat-trick, among his goals and again I'd class any 'Well game in Europe as something a bit more special than the norm.

He also had a big influence in us coming back from 3-1 down at Ibrox a couple of seasons ago to get a 3-3 draw so its not as if he's never done it against the Old Firm.

Perhaps a more true reflection might be to say his some of his less memorable displays have unfortunately coincided with those where he's been watched with a view to more international recognition.

• Like 4

I would contest that althought it depends what you might class as a "big game" I suppose.

Certainly he didn't have a great Scottish Cup Final or performed particularly well in the most recent games against the Old Firm.

But consider the Semi Final where he scored a sensational solo goal, or the Quarter Final replay against Dundee Utd both of which I'd class as big games.

He's our top scorer in Europe, with a hat-trick, among his goals and again I'd class any 'Well game in Europe as something a bit more special than the norm.

He also had a big influence in us coming back from 3-1 down at Ibrox a couple of seasons ago to get a 3-3 draw so its not as if he's never done it against the Old Firm.

Perhaps a more true reflection might be to say his some of his less memorable displays have unfortunately coincided with those where he's been watched with a view to more international recognition.

I agree largely. He was immense in the Scottish cup QF replay and SF but was poor as was everyone in the final but I feel that's down to him being stuck wide left in a game where we seemed to have little of the ball and were defending for most of the game. As you say he has always performed in Europe. I forgot he scored at Ibrox a few years ago, I thought he still hadn't scored against either half of the OF but I do seem to remember him helping turn the game in our favour. Don't forget he also had a great game against Celtic in the win at Fir Park last season. So he does have some good OF performances behind him.

To say he's "always" posted missing in big games is untrue. He's struggled against the OF in a lot of games but as has been pointed out and done to death in the last few days so have the Motherwell team as a whole. It's not just down to Murphy to perform, on Saturday for example if we were as bad as everyone suggests how was Murphy meant to influence the game on his own?

I for one am very interested to see how Murphy gets on this season. Three goals in seven games is a good start but I want to see him carry it on over a season. He will obviously have his bad games as everyone does but he still needs to find a greater level of consistency. If he continues the way he's going 15+ goals should be very achievable for him this season.

Simply put, Murphy needs to improve to get in the Scotland team, moreover earn a move. He is still a developmental talent. Not consistent, but learning and improving!

If the measure of an SPL player's stature is performing consistently against the old firm, then he is showing up as average.

I don't recall anything special he has done against the old firm. While you may say it is a team game and those around Murphy are failing to perform, classy players should always have some sort of impact!

Individuals for the 'Well who have had big impact in old firm games include Arnott, McFadden and even Scott McDonald.

Recently in the SPL you can look at Emerenko, Riordan, and Goodwillie who have all had individual success against the old firm.

Maybe in the future we can expect more from Murphy in these games.

If the measure of an SPL player's stature is performing consistently against the old firm, then he is showing up as average.

I don't recall anything special he has done against the old firm. While you may say it is a team game and those around Murphy are failing to perform, classy players should always have some sort of impact!

Individuals for the 'Well who have had big impact in old firm games include Arnott, McFadden and even Scott McDonald.

Recently in the SPL you can look at Emerenko, Riordan, and Goodwillie who have all had individual success against the old firm.

Maybe in the future we can expect more from Murphy in these games.

The 3-3 draw at Ibrox was mainly down to the introduction of Murphy. But I see what you say, but it really isn't the measure of it, as I can't remember Maguire doing much against the Old Firm.

The 3-3 draw at Ibrox was mainly down to the introduction of Murphy. But I see what you say, but it really isn't the measure of it, as I can't remember Maguire doing much against the Old Firm.

I can't remember Chris Maguire doing anything of note at Club level at all in his time with Aberdeen!