St Mirren (A) 13th August

DEWELL

People having a go at McCall's tactics need to have a look at St.Mirren's first half performance at Tannadice last week before Hasslebaink was sent off, they tore United apart and could and probably would have done the same to us today if we had gone with an open 442 with Jennings and Forbes in the middle.

They would have had 3 CM's and would have swamped Jennings and Forbes and thus rendering Murphy and Law useless as we would struggle to get the ball to them as Saints would have dominated possesion. We droppped Law in the their and went 433 to match up to them. For all this talk of them dominating us....pish. We sat back and were happy to let them play the ball in front of us and let them try and break us down which they couldn't as they struggled to create a clear cut chance all match and Randy could have been sitting next to me for all he had to do.

We on the other hand even though some people thought we were poor still created all the best chances and forced Samson into 4 or 5 good saves and one in particular from Higdon was a fantastic save. We were by no means brilliant but all this guff about Saints good football and dominating us is rubbish, it's about creating chances and taking them and only one team looked like doing that.

Yes a times it was a bit gritty but we're not world beaters, people seem to expect us to try and win every game like the ICT match going full out attack and winning 3-0.... but if people remember ICT created 4 or 5 good chances that day due to our expansive game and we can't afford to play like that all the time especially away from home were we can be exposed and it could cost us.

I thought we were good today, not great but the tactics IMO were correct and the end justified the means. We tried to play football without over commiting and created several great scoring opportunities which St.Mirren did not.

Higdon wasn't great but he did create a good chance for Murphy and for himself. He also won several flick ons but not one midfielder went past him to get on the end of it bar once when Murphy did and nearly scored. Murph was decent first half quiet second. Law was decent as was Hutch. Humphrey must have had the fewest touches I've ever seen him have in game, looks lacking in confidence and Jenno wasn't at his best. Forbes had a really good game but Craggs was MOTM for me, brilliant at the back and led the team through a few tricky spells. Special mention to Hateley as his free kick was a peach.

All in all another win, another clean sheet, still top of the league.... dunno why folk are complaining, enjoy it it doesn't happen very often.:cheers:

It was a relatively poor performance yesterday but we won and that's all that matterss at the end of the day. We created enough chances to win the match comfortably but Samson had a great match until he made an arse of the free kick.

The pick of the players for us would be Forbes who put in a really good shift, a lot more effort than what we've seen before. The back 4 again did well with St Mirren never really threatening apart from a couple of close calls from corners in the first half.

Humphrey was shocking again and should be dropped for Lasley next week as he is a waste of a jersey when he performs like he has done in the last few matches. Murphy was poor as well, needs to be more consistent if he's going to get move to a big team.

Great to score in the last minute and the celebrations showed how much it meant to the players and fans. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going next week and remain top of the league. Mon the Well!!!!

while delighted with the win and the performances of some of the team they made it very very difficult for themselves

St Mirren were miles better than we have been used too, no complaints for our tactics, some concerns at the failings not even being tinkered with during the match, as at times our structure/positioning was simply gifting the ball back to them to come and attack us again

Our defence were tremendous, With Hutch n Craggs excelling , both putting their bodies in the line of fire and rarely wasting possession

Forbes again showed he is a player, and has more drive than some of our first team regulars who need a rocket up their arse or a stint on the bench if its the mysterious injury excuses ( even if that does mean blooding youngsters, as playing through injury helps no one in the long run)

I was really frustrated by Jennings lack of match fitness, I dunno whats up but it simply looks like he needs to lay off the bulk building and get on the treadmill, it is seriously affecting his game when he needs to do some of the running.

some of the others had off days for whatever reason, it would have been so different had Higdon Murph or Law converted the chances so its still good to be making them,

If the off days are rolling over match by match questions have to be asked why they are starting every week, having a passenger in the team helps no one, even if they show heart and desire

• Like 1

y

People having a go at McCall's tactics need to have a look at St.Mirren's first half performance at Tannadice last week before Hasslebaink was sent off, they tore United apart and could and probably would have done the same to us today if we had gone with an open 442 with Jennings and Forbes in the middle.

They would have had 3 CM's and would have swamped Jennings and Forbes and thus rendering Murphy and Law useless as we would struggle to get the ball to them as Saints would have dominated possesion. We droppped Law in the their and went 433 to match up to them. For all this talk of them dominating us....pish. We sat back and were happy to let them play the ball in front of us and let them try and break us down which they couldn't as they struggled to create a clear cut chance all match and Randy could have been sitting next to me for all he had to do.

We on the other hand even though some people thought we were poor still created all the best chances and forced Samson into 4 or 5 good saves and one in particular from Higdon was a fantastic save. We were by no means brilliant but all this guff about Saints good football and dominating us is rubbish, it's about creating chances and taking them and only one team looked like doing that.

Yes a times it was a bit gritty but we're not world beaters, people seem to expect us to try and win every game like the ICT match going full out attack and winning 3-0.... but if people remember ICT created 4 or 5 good chances that day due to our expansive game and we can't afford to play like that all the time especially away from home were we can be exposed and it could cost us.

I thought we were good today, not great but the tactics IMO were correct and the end justified the means. We tried to play football without over commiting and created several great scoring opportunities which St.Mirren did not.

Higdon wasn't great but he did create a good chance for Murphy and for himself. He also won several flick ons but not one midfielder went past him to get on the end of it bar once when Murphy did and nearly scored. Murph was decent first half quiet second. Law was decent as was Hutch. Humphrey must have had the fewest touches I've ever seen him have in game, looks lacking in confidence and Jenno wasn't at his best. Forbes had a really good game but Craggs was MOTM for me, brilliant at the back and led the team through a few tricky spells. Special mention to Hateley as his free kick was a peach.

All in all another win, another clean sheet, still top of the league.... dunno why folk are complaining, enjoy it it doesn't happen very often.:cheers:

Great Post! League leaders Motherwell welcome Rangers to Fir Park!

Great three points and top of the SPL, but do we really have to slate our own players for being a waste of a shirt, we won the bloody game .FFS. Dont you think that comment was a little harsh, if the true been known there was about 5 or 6 players that were not up to much yesterday but they won as a team.

Give me strength. Waste of a shirt Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Great three points and top of the SPL, but do we really have to slate our own players for being a waste of a shirt, we won the bloody game .FFS. Dont you think that comment was a little harsh, if the true been known there was about 5 or 6 players that were not up to much yesterday but they won as a team.

Give me strength. Waste of a shirt Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

No it was spot on. Humphrey was utter gash and should have/would have been hauled off if we had anyone to replace him with. The fact we won and are top of the league doesn't change that!

It's a great sign when you can get a result whilst not being at your best. In saying that we made all the chances and if anyone was gonna sneak it, it was always going to be us.

I think we're going to see a lot of games like yesterdays this season.

What can be said about that result yesterday and our start to the season? Fan-fucking-tastic. :yahoo:

Even if we weren't top of the league a last minute winner against those deluded Paisley tramps in their own shitehole is something to be lapped up and savoured.

Bring on the Rangers eh? Maybe they'll only beat us by three goals this time. :rolleyes:

Wasn't at game yesterday , but between listening online and reading some of the comments in this thread , really pleased to see the much lambasted Forbes had a good game . But what happens next week ? Does he get dropped to make way for Las , or does someone else make way ? Don't see McCall starting against Rangers without Lasley , so interesting to see if Forbes drops back out after a good display , or if someone like Humphrey , who has been abit off the boil lately , makes way and we change shape a bit .

Mccall has to put Lasley back in IMO. As well as Forbes did yesterday Las has been quality for us this season.

Judging by Mccalls lack of faith in the bench I doubt he will drop Humphrey unless he is injured and can't play.

Will be interested to see how we set up against them. Hopefully we wont let anyone run right through the middle which we always seem to do against them.

Can't think of much to add that hasn't already been said. Despite sitting with minutes to go thinking we hadn't been brilliant, you have to look at the saves Craig Samson made. I don't think Humphrey looked fit yesterday. Next week I'd probably go with the same formation, bring in Lasley for Humphrey (if he is struggling for fitness), play Law on the right and Forbes just ahead of Lasley and Jenno. If we do line up with the same formation, the midfield will need to get closer to Higdon!

Can't think of much to add that hasn't already been said. Despite sitting with minutes to go thinking we hadn't been brilliant, you have to look at the saves Craig Samson made. I don't think Humphrey looked fit yesterday. Next week I'd probably go with the same formation, bring in Lasley for Humphrey (if he is struggling for fitness), play Law on the right and Forbes just ahead of Lasley and Jenno. If we do line up with the same formation, the midfield will need to get closer to Higdon!

Good shout, wonder how it would actually work out on the pitch though. It's only fair that Forbes keeps his place, and Humphrey would be first to be dropped. He'd be a good impact player since right now my major concern is that we'll be fucked by about 70 minutes.

Highlights make it look like we horsed them, Forbes shot was a bullet! Hateley's was the one that mattered though, what a goal!

Aye St Mirren can feel aggrieved after 'dominating' that much :laugh:

I guess we'll need to agree to disagree on that one. I for one still stand by that comment last night, that although we had the more clear cut chances, for me, St.Mirren dominated us posession-wise for the majority of the game (although not according to the ever correct and ever accurate BBC). By it's definition, highlights will only show the chances for each team.