• Stephen Craigan
    • Chris Humphrey
    • Steve Jennings
    • Michael Higdon
    • Ross Forbes
    • Jamie Murphy
    • Stuart Carswell
    • Null Vote

Had massive boots to fill, and he done admirably well. So vote goes to Forbes, as good as anyone else. Law showed flashes, but went missing for a massive chunk of the 2nd half. Forbes was in the thick of everything, tracked and harried very well. Confidence seem to lift very early on with a few nice touches.

Humphrey was anonymous - severely lacking in confidence right now, and probably mixed in with not being 100% fit, but for the time being is like playing with 10-men. Unfortunately, no real alternative at the moment to replace him during this spell. Albeit today he never received particularly much ammunition, but of what he did see, was absolutely horrendeous.

Good shouts to Tom (great goal), Hutch and Craigan (solid) and Jennings who looked a bit back to his best (hopefully the sub is just precautionary).

Nicky Law got it for me! Seemed to be the only forward thinking player that looked intrested today. Thought Chrissy H and Murph were very quiet and at times Humph just looked as if he couldn't be arsed. Still we managed to pull out a great result and keep us top of the league.

Roll on next weekend now for the visit of Rangers.

The whole defence worked hard and did their jobs very well, but my vote went to Forbes, who for me shone in his best position.

The much maligned Forbes put in a great performance and showed what he's capable of despite some people's opinions on here. I know he needs to do it more consistently but he won't get the chance as he will most likely be dropped for Lasley next week which will no doubt dent his confidence. Then again McCall might play a midfield three against Rangers next week...

MOTM for me just edging Forbes was Craigan, outstanding today led by example. Retiring from International football might be the best thing for him cause he's started this season in fantastic form and long may it continue.

Two centre halfs protected the goalkeeper amazingly well. Hard to pick one over the other but I think I will hand it to the Heid for stopping the sliding tackles when booked (wrongly) and having that maturity. But a fag packet between them.

The much maligned Forbes put in a great performance and showed what he's capable of despite some people's opinions on here. I know he needs to do it more consistently but he won't get the chance as he will most likely be dropped for Lasley next week which will no doubt dent his confidence. Then again McCall might play a midfield three against Rangers next week...

Agreed, and it is a shame for Forbes that he will indeed be dropped, but the Las/Jennings partnership is a must. The fact that we reverted to a midfield 3 today, was that McCall's discreet way of confessing that Lasley does the running for two players and his ommission requires an additional body to cover the work he does? But, staying on point - it's a shame that Forbes will be dropped, as he has already put in one performance this season more than Humphrey, which unfortunately due to the squad dynamics and lack of options, means that Humphrey will start next week and Forbes drops out despite a far more impressive performance.

Everyone knows my feeling on Forbes, but I didn't make the game today, so I'm wondering what he did well?

Was it displaying the passing range that he's always had, or did he show more commitment, or did he have a good hard working game, or what? I really hope that rumoured meeting with McCall had an impact.

Not trying to abuse him in any way, I just want to know which of his positives he brought to the table today.

• Like 1

Everyone knows my feeling on Forbes, but I didn't make the game today, so I'm wondering what he did well?

Was it displaying the passing range that he's always had, or did he show more commitment, or did he have a good hard working game, or what? I really hope that rumoured meeting with McCall had an impact.

Not trying to abuse him in any way, I just want to know which of his positives he brought to the table today.

Improved fitness = CHECK = Lasted the pace

Good Passing = CHECK = rarely mis-placed a pass all day - I can only really recall an attempted switch, that cannoned off their defender, and a tired looking ball towards Higdon with 5mins to go that went straight to Samson.

Physical Presence = CHECK = got stuck in, a few meaty challenges, won as many balls as our other midfielders.

Closing Down = CHECK = Included at times being the furthest forward, shutting down Samson on occasion (albeit as awkward a sprint as you'll ever see)

Spectacular Attempt = CHECK = nearly gave us the lead with a 20-25 yarder that Samson done well to tip over.

Not that he was like Xavi, but he done everything anyone could have asked of him today, and was as good as anyone on the field.

• Like 1

craggs for me. double figures in clearances in his own box. tremendous.

forbes had a lot of good passes. on the other hand we had to change our full shape because the manager didn't have the faith to play him in a centre 2 and there were quite a few occasions were he should have been in control but he got shrugged off it because he was too weak.

craggs for me. double figures in clearances in his own box. tremendous.

forbes had a lot of good passes. on the other hand we had to change our full shape because the manager didn't have the faith to play him in a centre 2 and there were quite a few occasions were he should have been in control but he got shrugged off it because he was too weak.

Changing the shape of a team to accommodate the strengths of your available players sounds like common sense tactics to me rather than a lack of faith.

Changing the shape of a team to accommodate the strengths of your available players sounds like common sense tactics to me rather than a lack of faith.

it was a definite lack of faith.

murphy and humphrey spent the majority of the game man marking their pishy fullbacks.

if forbes was up to it he would have been a straight swap for keith. he isn't so we ended up chasing shadows.

it was a definite lack of faith.

murphy and humphrey spent the majority of the game man marking their pishy fullbacks.

if forbes was up to it he would have been a straight swap for keith. he isn't so we ended up chasing shadows.

Sorry but you're talking pish.

We let Saints have the ball and sat off them to let them try and break us down, which they didn't as they didn't create one decent chance all match. We on the the other hand created all the chances and forced Samson into 5 good saves despite and I quote you that "our midfield was horrible". :laugh: Forbes and Law both had good games.

It's not a lack of faith, he chose to play Forbes as he was the best option available to him. As for the formation I think it was used to counter the fact that Saints had 3 central midfield players. We went like for like. ;)

As for the tactics they weren't pretty but they worked and as posted above using the players available for you to the best of their abilities is good management and shock horror it worked as we won.

• Like 1

Sorry but you're talking pish.

We let Saints have the ball and sat off them to let them try and break us down, which they didn't as they didn't create one decent chance all match. We on the the other hand created all the chances and forced Samson into 5 good saves despite and I quote you that "our midfield was horrible". :laugh: Forbes and Law both had good games.

It's not a lack of faith, he chose to play Forbes as he was the best option available to him. As for the formation I think it was used to counter the fact that Saints had 3 central midfield players. We went like for like. ;)

As for the tactics they weren't pretty but they worked and as posted above using the players available for you to the best of their abilities is good management and shock horror it worked as we won.

our tactics didn't work at all.

we didn't 'let saints have the ball', we got the run around for most of the game. we were up against two of the worst centre backs in the league and our centre forward won nothing against them. how many times did we kick the ball at higdon followed by him jumping 4 inches and their defenders winning the ball with no one near them?

we didn't use the players available to the best of their abilities. humphrey didn't have a clue what he was doing and barely got a kick, murphy was on the edge of the game for 90 mins and law disapeared for the first 35 of the 2nd half. apart from jenno no one in our midfield kenw who they were meant to be picking up for most of the game.

is it a lack of faith. if las was fit we would have played a 4-4-2. forbes is meant to be a centre mid but he can't play in a midfield 4 so we have to play one up top to fit him in. the fact that it only takes either jenno or las to miss a game to make us completely change tactics is very worrying.

st mirren are utter garbage, we shouldn't be happy just because we edged them in a close game.