Ian Brines

DEWELL

Read today that the St Mirren manager Danny Lennon was actually feeling sorry for Motherwell with some of the ridiculous decisions and so called fouls given against us. It's refreshing to hear that from an honest guy and how right he is. Frankly Brines had it in for us on saturday. Surely we should allow refs to explain their decisions i'd love to hear how Big Hutchie got booked for a perfect ball winning tackle that actually didn't even touch the St.Mirren striker and how Higdon was penalised basically every time he contested every high ball. I've always thought he was one of our better refs but he really was poor on saturday with countless bad decisions. Thoughts folks? :angry:

Frankly Brines had it in for us on saturday.

Frankly, I don't believe any professional ref 'has it in' for any team.

And if, for one second, I decided to believe he did have it in for us, why did he award the free kick we scored from when he could easily have called it as a fair tackle?

• Like 2

Certainly not my favourite referee, tends to be overly fussy, and has made bad calls against us in the past. He made some strange decisions yesterday, and lacked any consistency!

In his favour though, I saw him in the queue at fir park BUYING tickets for one of the European games last season. Nice to see him supporting Scottish football, and putting his hand in his pocket, a lot of folk make a lot more money out of football than referees, and put nothing back in.

He's a Homer for sure. Didn't show any bottle and was simply reacting to the home fans cries for a foul, some of which were farcical.

Just before Hutchy got booked he clattered one of their players. It was a great tackle but their fans were screaming blue murder. Surprise surprise he was booked for his very next tackle.

Terrible ref.

I thought overall he had a good game and only made occasional mistakes. Hutchinson's booking was a cock up and I don't think you'll hear anyone say otherwise and I'm sure if he looks at that again he'll realise he got it wrong. I thought Van Zanten's card was harsh as well to be honest as I thought that was an accidental clash and the free kick would have been enough. Only other thing I'd question him on was the foul he gave us at the end as I thought Teale played the ball first but it was a tight one that could have gone either way. And irrespective if it was a foul or not it was a challenge Teale didn't need to make so if I was a St Mirren fan I'd be more annoyed with him than the ref. Overall though I wouldn't complain too much about him.

Not his best performance but not the worst I have witnessed recently. Hutch needs to be advised re his heavy challenges. He was still angry from the first foul given against him and there was no need to be as heavy on the tackle which seen him booked. It was definately avoidable as he was having a good game and got drawn into it a bit. The ref was reacting to the home crowd but did well to ignore the baiting of Hammell.

To be honest, there isn't really a good ref in the division, you come away from most games questioning a decision or four. However, yesterday I thought he was a lot more picky about our fouls than he was theirs. At times it's hard to be rational but if Lennon saw it that way then fair play.

• Like 1

After seeing the highlights, referee got the free-kick decision spot on. People need to remember, getting the ball doesn't mean fair challenge. Can't say anything about the other "incidents" in the game as they were not shown

You're not wrong. You can get the ball all ye want but if you take any of the player INTENTIONAL OR OTHERWISE it's a free-kick according to the laws of the game. The only offence that must be deliberate to be penalised is handball.

I'm wondering how many players realise this :blink:

The bookings getting dished out yesterday were terrible, and some of the ones that got waved away were too. Some really reckless tackles from both sides were just ignored and there was no consistency in wha got a yellow card and what didn't. The first half was allowed to run in the most part and was a great 45 minutes of football. Brines came out and ruined the second 45, stifling the play and breaking up the game wherever he could. We're paying to get entertained and overpaid fuds like him are doing their best to stop this with their incompetency.

he frustrated me, although it's hard to say if he was worse than many others

the one thing i picked up on at the game, was that he warned a number of St Mirren players, whilst I didn't notice him being as lenient with the 'Well players.

Consistency is what they need to learn

Bill Lekie on Brines

"IAIN BRINES could referee the Dalai Lama's XI against a team of Hare Krishnas and it would end in a 22-man brawl." :laugh:

Nice unbiased view of events from leckie! I normally like his stuff, but the link is the entire match report!! No report on the match at all, just a moan about the referee!

I didn't leave the ground talking about brines, I left jumping up and down and singing!!

He is a bad referee, but stmirren barely had a shot at goal, if it hadn't been for Samson, it could have been a pumping! They can play all the passes they want, if you don't shoot, you won't score!

I thought it was a foul on law, it doesn't matter if you touch the ball if you come through the player from behind to get it!

Also, as much as I like the way Hutchison plays, you're going to pick up bookings throwing yourself about like he does. You could argue sone of his challenges are a bit too hard to be classed as hard and fair!

To be fair to Leckie he did say Craig Samson saved St Mirren from a tanking.

Noticed that myself. Pretty honest on what he did report of the match.

He also pointed out that the decision to booked Hutchinson was so bad that Danny Lennon complained about it.