Rangers (H) Sunday 21st August

Andy_P

Poor performance my arse. Played them off the park in the first half.

Lost to a set piece and two break-away goals.

Steve Davis the difference between the teams.

Whit :doh: our tactics were pish yesterday Rangers played their European game with everybody behind the ball at all times and we could not break it down. Hamell and Hatley were too far forward at times and left huge spaces for Rangers to get in behind, as Lafferty showed for the 2nd goal, with Hamell nowhere to be seen.

Playing good attacking passing football is ok but you need to keep the back door shut and this did not happen with the 2 Full backs pushing forward all the time Craigan and Hutchy in the middle were fucked,

Yes we played some great stuff at times, and probably against any other non old firm team we would have got a result but against Rangers its not good enough, SMC got the tactics badly wrong, we needed to be a bit more direct, trying to get in behind a team who are not coming out and have 9 players inside the 6 yard box for a corner !!! does not work.

Just watched the online highlights and they appeared to have ignored the first half hand ball. Any opinions from people that have seen a replay of the incident as at the time I was sure it was a penalty.

Deffo not a penalty , th players arms were behind him and he clearly played the ball with his chest mellow.gif

Loved the passing & movement for the Murphy disallowed goal but can't help thinking the guy who passed it to Murphy had a clear shot at goal and this may have been the better option. .

I thought it was a shot, not a particularly good one but a shot nonetheless which Murphy inadvertently blocked then converted the loose ball. Never a handball but I'm ever so slightly biased, just as biased one way as Thomson always seems to be the other way in fact.:rolleyes:

I thought the game cried out for Ross Forbes to play. We needed someone in the middle who would have closed down Steve Davis. Davies controlled the midfield again (he seems to do that against us every time) and we failed to close him down.

Also whilst I enjoy watching a passing game and keeping possession is important, it only works where the passes offer something, a lot of the passes were rushed and ended up putting another player under greater pressure.

I can't believe some people are trying to insinuate that McCall and some of our players weren't trying to win today. Fucking hell get a grip, some of you c***s are no better than Celtic fans.

Suppose the previous 9 years of defeats to Rangers were McCall's fault?

Or were Malpas, Gannon, McGhee & Brown all in on it too?

Get a fucking grip.

I dont believe they weren't trying, let me say that first of all.

I do believe though that we fail to show the same effort and enthusiasm against Rangers as we do in other matches.

I have always been wary of employing ex Old Firm players as managers, for the simple reason that psychologically some of them are still there. This is epitomised by two of our previous managers, Tommy McLean was first and foremost a Football man, Jock Wallace though, was a Rangers man first and a Football man next.

McCall, in my opinion, falls firmly into the Jock Wallace camp.

His continual talking up of them as a massive club, and his use of "we" when discussing them with the media shows exactly where his heart and his head lies. I dont believe anyone with that kind of mentality can give a side the necessary belief that they can beat Rangers.

I'm not suggesting it's deliberate, but I dont think he's capable of changing it.

I can't say I have heard him use the term 'we' when talking about Rangers on the TV or radio. Not that I am saying this hasn't happened. When things are going well, as they are, only one or two voices will rasie this point from time to time. If we find ourselves in a less than desirable position in the league and oot the Cups OR he leaves us in a similar way to a couple of other managers (although not to Aberdeen I hope) then I will expect him to get slaughtered for the above. Is that right or wrong? Who knows. Just seems to be the way it goes sometimes.

No-one had as bad a record against Rangers last year as we did even poor old Accies twice kept them down to one goal wins.

We've lost that game before we go out on the park, that's the way I see it.

I'm not as disappointed with the result as some, because I fully expected us to get humped on Sunday.

I dont believe they weren't trying, let me say that first of all.

I do believe though that we fail to show the same effort and enthusiasm against Rangers as we do in other matches.

I have always been wary of employing ex Old Firm players as managers, for the simple reason that psychologically some of them are still there. This is epitomised by two of our previous managers, Tommy McLean was first and foremost a Football man, Jock Wallace though, was a Rangers man first and a Football man next.

McCall, in my opinion, falls firmly into the Jock Wallace camp.

His continual talking up of them as a massive club, and his use of "we" when discussing them with the media shows exactly where his heart and his head lies. I dont believe anyone with that kind of mentality can give a side the necessary belief that they can beat Rangers.

I'm not suggesting it's deliberate, but I dont think he's capable of changing it.

We took them pretty close in the Semi-Final in January and certainly didn't lack any belief then. How do you explain that one?

Also how about a wee reminder that McCall has taken charge of 3 or 4 out of 30 odd games in which we've failed to beat them. What are the other managers excuses?

To me, McCall comes across as a man who immerses himself in every club he goes to and has shown nothing but commitment at Motherwell and I think it's ridiculous and insulting to suggest his professionalism could be so easily influenced regardless of whether it's subconscious or not.

First off, let me say that I couldn't make the game on Sunday, but I did get to see the 1st 40 mins in the pub. In that time, I thought we looked not too bad and knocked the ball about well, but the Buns, inexperienced or not, kept a tight defence, and like too many times over the years (with a whole range of different managers it has to be said) we toiled badly to create much.

What did concern me was how exposed we appeared to leave ourselves in the middle and back, and goals like the 2nd & 3rd were always likely to happen - before they scored the 1st goal, Darren got us out of jail with the save from that t*t Lafferty.

Haven't seen the 2nd half, and missed the first 30 mins as I was on a ferry home, but on turning on the radio, it came as no surprise to find us two down, and I had the misfortune of hearing the 3rd with the commentators generally creaming themselves.

Like many, although I almost expect us to lose when playing either of the Bigot Twins, it still gets me thoroughly pissed off when we get swept aside so easily. I don't claim to have all the answers, but as nice as some of the football has been, we need to be more clinical, and to some degree, the Invernesss game was a game in point. We scored two well made goals, and a 3rd when Las was prepared to have a go,

At the Midden, we had loads of chances, but when you have 6 or 7 seven good efforts before Hately's cracking free kick, I would expect at least one that the keeper couldn't get to, even if it came off the post\bar. Maybe it'll even itself out at some stage, but we need to get forward thinking players in the box and ask questions about defences, and if that isn't going to happen, be prepared to have a crack from 25 or 30 yards. Continually looking for the perfect pass in the final 3rd just encourages a team to sit tight, and as the Buns did, pick us off with and incisive break.

Right now to be positive - next two games are winnable, before proving that we can get it right and hit the Unwashed with a 2nd home defeat.

MON RA DOSSERS

We took them pretty close in the Semi-Final in January and certainly didn't lack any belief then. How do you explain that one?

Also how about a wee reminder that McCall has taken charge of 3 or 4 out of 30 odd games in which we've failed to beat them. What are the other managers excuses?

To me, McCall comes across as a man who immerses himself in every club he goes to and has shown nothing but commitment at Motherwell and I think it's ridiculous and insulting to suggest his professionalism could be so easily influenced regardless of whether it's subconscious or not.

I dont, you explain why we cant play like that in a League match.

I'm not too interested in other managers results the fact is we have generally given Rangers a game of it, I dont mind losing to either of the OF as long as we give it a go. Under Mccall we've managed that against one half of the OF and been nothing short of embarrassing against the other half.

To me McCall comes across as a Rangers man biding his time at Fir Park awaiting the call.

Of course that has nowt to do with both teams play. Rangers soak up and break, Celtic are the complete opposite. It is obvious to most people why we do better against Celtic.

Or are you also saying the players are awaiting the call from Ibrox as last time I checked McCall has not set foot on the park

Of course that has nowt to do with both teams play. Rangers soak up and break, Celtic are the complete opposite. It is obvious to most people why we do better against Celtic.

Or are you also saying the players are awaiting the call from Ibrox as last time I checked McCall has not set foot on the park

So we're okay when teams attack us but not when we attack them, isn't that something the manager should be working on?

How many goes has he had at it now, and how nmany goals have we lost?

What is it that gives you this impression though?

His continual talking up of them, every time we play them he makes it sound as if we're playing Barcelona, and his use of the word 'we' when talking about them on the media. I can accept that from an ex-player who's no longer involved in the game, but not from an ex-player who's current job has him in direct opposition, that, to me, is unforgivable.

His pathetic excuses afterwards "We needed them to have an off day" ffs what kind of message does that give to your players? Even if they do have an off day we still need to play at our best and get a bit of help from the officials, now there's a confidence booster for you?

What he's saying there is if they play to their capabilities we're as well not turning up.

I've seen worse Motherwell sides than this give far better Rangers sides than the current lot a far harder game.

We are treating Rangers with far too much respect and that's down to McCall.

His continual talking up of them, every time we play them he makes it sound as if we're playing Barcelona, and his use of the word 'we' when talking about them on the media. I can accept that from an ex-player who's no longer involved in the game, but not from an ex-player who's current job has him in direct opposition, that, to me, is unforgivable.

His pathetic excuses afterwards "We needed them to have an off day" ffs what kind of message does that give to your players? Even if they do have an off day we still need to play at our best and get a bit of help from the officials, now there's a confidence booster for you?

What he's saying there is if they play to their capabilities we're as well not turning up.

I've seen worse Motherwell sides than this give far better Rangers sides than the current lot a far harder game.

Pish, you're the one who sounds like you have an anti-McCall agenda.

Holy fuck, you are aff your nut!!

I can accept the point highlighted, and I would say that McCall let himself down by apparently accepting defeat (if that is really what he thinks, or is that what he wants to let the media think?) before the game kicked off. What disappointed me about his quotes was that he was a winner on the field and should be trying to isntil that into the players as well.

But for any sane person to think that McCall or any other professional would lie down to any givien team is crazy talk - if Lennon got the sack from Cellic and we *shudder at the thought* hired him as manager I'd fully expect him to give his all anytime we met the manky mob. Professional footballers do not think like fans when they enter the field of play/technical area, it is their job and ultimately their neck on the line. He doesnt just talk Rangers up, he also talks Celtic up so maybe he does have an inferiority complex when we play these two cuntish teams, and hopefully thats something that he will look to address.

I'm also still waiting on the proof that McCall called Rangers 'we' or 'us' whilst managing Motherwell :whistling: . If he did I'd be disappointed, but would hopefully be able to put it down to a freudian slip?