Best Moment As A Motherwell Fan

TigerWoodsMFC

Motherwell have given us many ups and downs over the years, so what has been your favourite moment which has stuck in your mind ever since. As someone who was born after 1991, I can't mention that so mines would either be watching Jutkiewicz's wonder goal which brought us level with Hibs at the 6-6 game or when Fitzpatrick sent us to the CIS Cup final in the dying seconds at Easter Road.

Going to be a very repeating thread as the vast majority of people who were around in '91 are going to say something related to that. So just to be different i'll go with big Kirky blasting the ball full pelt into the Rangers dug out at Fir park. Old Wally wasn't to happy with that :laugh:

Apart from 1991, any of the Texaco Cup games when we played Stoke,(Gordon Banks who was the best goalkeeper I have EVER seen),Spurs (whit a game and whit an atmosphere and whit a goal by Bobby Watson), gettin lifted in Norwich for being drunk and disorderly and havin to hitch hike it home. Happy days before the advent of all seater stadiums. A just wish video cameras had been invented then and all the younger ones on here could see what the atmosphere was like at Fir Park in the days of "The Choir"

• Like 1

Tartan Special - Glacit Del scored in that game too eh? Now that was a rare occurrence on top of a rare occurrence.

Quite a regular thing 20 years ago, but you couldn't whack "Psycho's gonna get you" with a stick, what made it even better, you knew he would.

Many of my best moments have been listening to some of the one liners fired towards the pitch. Too many to recall or consigned to memory, just there were a few teakers.

Games, Falkirk replay (floodlight failure?) about 15 years ago when they gave everyone a piece of photocopied paper, next week, half of Lanarkshire was inside Brockville doing the bouncy.

My dad had gone out of his way to take me to Motherwell matches when I was a boy. With all of my peeers going to one half or other of the bigot brothers on a Saturday (yes it was that long ago) my dad was the only one who could take me and, as he generally worked on a saturday morning it was touch and go whether he made it home in time to take me. I would be sitting in the kitchen all ready to go just hoping he'd get back in time, on some occasions it was tyouvh and go but he'd come home get washed and dressed and be eating a sandwich as we walked to the bus stop. When I got older I tried to repay thatby getting him tickets for big games that he normally wouldn't go to, the semi-finals against Rangers and Airdrie in 1975/76. His health was failing by the time we reached the Cup Final in 1991 and he wasn't able to attend. He rallied slightly the following year though and I was able to take him to the UEFA Cup match v Katowice,to see Motherwell in Europe was his dream as well as mine. The last game we attended together was the match v Dortmund and he was far from well. He died exactly a month later, and that match, although the memories are somewhat bittersweet is my last best moment as a Motherwell fan. Thanks Dad.

• Like 5

My dad died when I was still quite young (16 years old) but I will be forever grateful to him for taking me to see Motherwell when it would have been very easy to go down the route of the great unwashed. I still regret that we never got to go to see a final together, although we came close on a few occasions. My memories are split between games spent with my dad in the 60s and 70s and the later times with my mates.

The Texaco Cup games were always special as you got to test yourself against some good English sides. Apart from the Hearts defeat, I enjoyed most of these floodlit games.

Beating either of the Old Firm was always enjoyable, and our 3-2 win against Celtic in the mid 70s was for me a stand out. Also, puting Sir Alex Fergusons St.Mirren to the sword at a jam packed Fir Park was also a great 70s Cup moment.

Winning the old first division in the early 80s was a proud moment as it is so easy to go down and stay there for many years.

Our 91 Cup triumph was filled with some great games and memories. Many tears of joy were shed during that historic Cup run.

My best moment as a Motherwell fan? Hopefully it has still to happen, winning the SPL would top everything and you just never know with the Old Firm weakened by lack of finance it may still be possible. A miracle, yes! But sometimes miracles can happen. cheers.gif

• Like 1

Has to be the first match after the Phil death. Great away support and the atmosphere within the support was amazing. Going down 2 nill then coming back was brillant. Great day out. Beating them back at Fir Park was also quality.

alot of brilliant moments for me, but strangely really proud to be a well fan the night we hammered Flamuntari. Even though they were a pub team from the back of beyond, it felt as if we were world beaters that night and played some of the most entertaining football I have seen in years... Oh and echoing what has been said before, the 81/82 1st div winning year; can't be bad when you're wondering how many you're gonna win by each week.... happy days!

Has to be the first match after the Phil death. Great away support and the atmosphere within the support was amazing. Going down 2 nill then coming back was brillant. Great day out. Beating them back at Fir Park was also quality.

Yep.

The emotion in the air that day was like something I've never felt before or since, and frankly, I don't think I ever will again. Everyone was raw, the freezing cold, going two goals down before we realised Hearts were pish, and got two back.