Clyde, League Cup, Wednesday 24th August

Andy_P

I think we will see a few changes tonight. Hollis for Randolph, Paige for Craigan, Lawless for Humphrey, and McHugh for Murphy. If we cannot beat a 3rd division side with 3 or 4 changes then i think we are wasting our time with our youth players. Rangers started the game with 3 20yr old who our guys have played against for years and they ended the game with 5 youth players. I my opinion Rangers played their best game of the season so far on Sunday and also Man Utd started Monday night with their 2nd youngest team ever to play in the premiership.

Now i`m not saying we should compare ourselves to Man Utd, but the youth teams at Celtic & Rangers have not be any better than ours over the last few years and they are now breaking into the 1st team, so why not throw in our youth and see what they can do. I also feel that there are a few players in our 1st team who have become complacent cos they know that it doesn`t matter if they have a bad game or 2, they will still be in the starting 11 next week. So hopefully if we do start with some of the boys, they all do well and start pushing our so-called experienced pro`s to up their game. Win - win situation for the Well if they do.

No flags allowed inside Broadwood unless they have a Fire Safety Certificate and since the majority of our flags are homemade that is not possible. Really, what is the need?

Would like to think it would be an easy win for us tonight but wouldn't bank on it as after all anything can happen in the cup. I'd keep the usual 11 and hopefully they can get a few goals and get the confidence back on track.

No flags allowed inside Broadwood unless they have a Fire Safety Certificate and since the majority of our flags are homemade that is not possible. Really, what is the need?

First time in a while I've seen the Fire Safety Certificate issue regarding flags at the football. An absolutely laughable rule.

Have you actually contacted Clyde or are you just going by what it says on the official site?

I may be wrong but I'm sure the same rule was in place at Hampden until a couple of years ago, yet it was never, ever enforced.

Humphrey was dire on Sunday, I'd drop him too.

I guess by now everyone knows I'm not Humphreys biggest fan but surely this match is a good chance for him to get a decent performance under his belt and get his confidence up again?

If he can't do it tonight though...

Assuming we won't see many changes in the line up but I hope McCall gives some youngsters a chance on as subs instead of ignoring the bench as he has done more or less up till now.

Lawless and Halsman looked good against Leeds, give them a decent chance of 30 minutes or so if we have a lead at that stage and none of this nonsense with putting players on at 88 minutes.

That's shocking. Least we have the drum! Thinking of joining up with you lot with a few mates tonight. Any specific seats you are going for?

My guess would be at the rear of the stand bud! The more the merrier :)

Think it was Andrew Weston of Wishae Press fame who tweeted last night that Murphy was a doubt because of a knock. Took it from that he wouldn't likely feature.

Worrying if there's more to any possible absence than just a knock.

Jamie Murphy has warned Motherwell that they must show some real character when they face Clyde at Broadwood in tonight’s League Cup second round tie.

The meeting comes hot on the heels of Well’s first defeat of the season at the hands of Rangers which also saw the Steelmen concede their first goals of the campaign.

But now faced with the battle to avoid a shock against Third Division opposition, Murphy has vowed that Stuart McCall’s side will not come a cropper as they bid to emulate last season’s impressive run to the semi-finals.

He said: “The Rangers game is gone now and the fact that we have the quick turnaround is a plus in helping us put that one behind us.

“As an SPL side you know that when you go to a lower league club in cup competition they are going to raise their game and do everything they can to bring off a shock.

“The fact that the two sides don’t play each other regularly adds something extra to it.

“But the manager has watched Clyde personally and made sure we know plenty about them. So we have to make sure that we go to Broadwood, do a professional job.”

He went on: “In cup competition you always get a shock or two in every round and we just have to make sure our name is not on the end of one of these.”

Well were faced with a similarly tricky encounter in their opening tie of last season’s League Cup campaign when they faced Second Division Brechin away at Glebe Park, while in the Scottish Cup campaign that took them all the way to Hampden a perilous trip to Dundee was also negotiated.

The 21-year-old ace says that these experiences on the road last time around have been vital in preparing for the clash with Jim Duffy’s men.

He said: “I think one of the big factors in both of our cup runs last season was our ability to go to difficult places like Brechin and Dens Park and keep a clean sheet then get the job done.

“Our defence has been really tight this season and although we were disappointed to lose three against Rangers, the second of these goals was an exceptional finish and the third came when we were throwing everything at them.

“I know Clyde have made a good start to the season and their confidence will be high that they can spring the shock.

“But a good run in either cup is really important for the club financially and we must ensure that our performance stays at the level we have been operating at in the SPL.”

Sounds like he plans on playing tonight although things could of changed ...

BBC say we've a new striker starting...........

• 12 Hollis
  • 15 Hutchinson
  • 20 Page
  • 23 Halsman
  • 04 Law
  • 06 Hateley
  • 14 Lasley
  • 09 Higdon
  • 16 McHugh
  • 18 Forbes
  • 25 Lawleff

Substitutes

• 01 Randolph,
  • 05 Craigan,
  • 07 Humphrey,
  • 26 Carswell,
  • 19 Smith

BBC say we've a new striker starting...........

• 12 Hollis
  • 15 Hutchinson
  • 20 Page
  • 23 Halsman
  • 04 Law
  • 06 Hateley
  • 14 Lasley
  • 09 Higdon
  • 16 McHugh
  • 18 Forbes
  • 25 Lawleff

Substitutes