Clyde, League Cup, Wednesday 24th August

Andy_P

would love to see motherwell pump them and run up a big score with higdon getting some goals and confidence.

out of interest, when was the last time we won by 4 or more goals against any team?

i think that would be last season when we beat st johnstone 4-0 the game blackman got a hatrick

would love to see motherwell pump them and run up a big score with higdon getting some goals and confidence.

out of interest, when was the last time we won by 4 or more goals against any team?

St Johnstone last season before the Grampa express went north?

I certainly would freshen the team up, its clear some need a wee rest, and tomorrow seems the ideal opportunity to do that.

For me I'd start Page, Halsman, Carswell, Forbes and McHugh, allowing the likes of Craigan, Hammell and Lasley to rest up ahead of our visit to The Pars on Saturday.

I don't understand this train of thought. Motherwell have played 5 competitive games this season and already players need a rest? These boys are supposed to be top end professional athletes. Two games in a week should be a walk in the park at this stage of the season. If anything they should be getting a game to help reach peak condition.

Bring some of the other guys in by all means but to give them game time not to give the first team regulars a rest.

Try telling a Tour de France cyclist that pro footballers need a rest after 5 games of the season.

This needing a wee rest is a myth created by the spin merchants like Craigy Brown as an excuse for poor performance. Four games into the season and the players can't be expected to perform because it's so early in the season and they are not match sharp, five games and they need a rest because they are battle weary.

That East Fife vs Dunfermline score should be a wee reminder not to count our chickens. Good scalp! Whilst a good drubbing would be ideal a wins a win and if its a 1-0 success then fair enough.

Away to Dunfermline on Saturday as well. No doubt their players will have the rocket up their arses first thing tomorrow morning.

I don't understand this train of thought. Motherwell have played 5 competitive games this season and already players need a rest? These boys are supposed to be top end professional athletes. Two games in a week should be a walk in the park at this stage of the season. If anything they should be getting a game to help reach peak condition.

Normally, I'd agree with that, but this season is a little different. We had an earlier start than most last season, plus a later finish and then a short summer before this season kicked off. That is a completely different routine from the one these guys have been trained for over the years, and the increased intensity over the short summer might require a wee rest.

Of course, I could be wrong. I often am.

That East Fife vs Dunfermline score should be a wee reminder not to count our chickens. Good scalp! Whilst a good drubbing would be ideal a wins a win and if its a 1-0 success then fair enough.

Lets not forget that Clyde put Celtic out the cup not too long ago just to emphasise the need for a professional approach.

Thats why like i said before start with the strongest 11 we have then if/when the game is won bring on the fringe players for game time.This approach not only gives us the best chance of winning this tie it also serves as a confidence boost to the players involved in the weekend defeat.

He was excellent against ICT. We just dont have a penalty box striker. I wonder what people sometimes class as a good ball.

Humphrey has some awful crosses but for every bad cross there is a good one. The amount of crosses he puts in between the penalty spot and six yard line I bet is a lot more than people here think. Cause Nae fucker is there to put it in the net/manage to blast over is not his fault.

As for the game, maybe put in Carswell and Forbes in the centre. With Hollis in goal tae.

Should be able to see them off, 4-0, Higdon x2, Forbes and Law with the goals!

People are going on about Higdon getting game time so that he can maybe get a goal and improve his confidence..............does Humphrey not deserve the same chance??

The guy seems to divide the fans..........you love him or you hate him. Yes he didnt perform against Rangers, (and at one point I thought Craigan was going to rip his head off!!) but several players didnt perform.

At the Midden - he was posted missing, and at Killie, he tripped over the ball too many times!!!

The killie left back that day was a speed demon......I think the Hump knew this after the first time he took him on and that was why he was reluctant to keep trying. You cant just be a one trick pony.........you need to alter what you do or how you attack a full back.

As someone mentioned earlier.........what is a good ball into the box??? if there is no one in there, taking a chance or going to attack the ball - thats not HIS fault!! How many corners or free kicks does Tom Hately fail to beat the first man or sky over the bar or even on sunday taking a corner and he puts it out the park? Why is no one criticising him?

Higdon - what do we want from him? He isnt Kenny Miller - he isnt going to run around all day and run the channels, we need balls to his feet and his chest - not a 50 yard lump up the park. We need to learn to play off him. Midfielders need to take a gamble and go beyond him if he is going to flick it on - that never happened against St MIrren or Rangers - no one gambled and makes him look as if he is crap. Against Rangers, in the 2nd half, we went 442..........but Murphy never played close to him, ALWAYS dropped deep, never went beyond him??? Why??

We're Motherwell - not Barcelona. We WILL make mistakes, but for god sake support the team and stop lambasting players

As I've said previously I would rest Humphrey, nothing to do with ability, he has looked far from 100% the last two games.

Dazzer, we get your opinion is pro Humphrey, are others not entitled to theirs? Your constant defence of him reminds me of the guy on the old Football Network forums who defended Woods constantly, only to reveal he was his nephew when Woods got released. For the record I rate Humphrey very highly, but that doesn't mean everyone else needs an identical opinion to mine.

We're Motherwell - not Barcelona. We WILL make mistakes, but for god sake support the team and stop lambasting players

This is literally the worst argument ever. Whether or not we are or aren't Barcelona (Obviously, we are not), doesn't somehow excuse players from being in shite form.

Humphrey has been shite ever since the ICT game. He is either not 100% fit or has lost confidence.

Drop him for the Clyde game.

I dont have a problem with people mentioning Humphrey in the negative, its the reason for there lack of confidence in him, lets face it Murphy has been shite since the ICT game and he has been free from abuse and still touted for a big move, so its all about opinions, if your fare about him i can accept it, not sure what it is but i will find some positive in most games he plays (as you have noticed). The main reason as highlighted before is his mistakes are more noticable than others, like Higdons, so Higdon,Humphrey and Hateley seem to be the soft targets for discontent or abuse. There seems to be a number of players exempt from abuse, what ever there performances are like, the Rangers game was a good effort but we were set up for quick ball, that did not happen we dwelled on the ball in Midfield far to many times and instead of releasing the ball early we were caught out time and time again.

Rangers are a good outfit regardless of there missing players so losing to them is no disgrace,someone mentioned that there left back plays against wingers much much better than Humphrey on a regular basis......Who for instance.... regardless of the negatives about Humphrey most if not all teams in the SPL would like Humphrey in the team, less Rangers and Celtic of course.

Now tonight, would be the perfect opportunity to play a strong team against Clyde, forget this lets drop players for this game , sod that go with your strongest team and work down, not the other way round.

Higdon will not get a better chance to score than tonight, its a must, if it pays off than can only be of benefit for all.