Clyde, League Cup, Wednesday 24th August

Andy_P

Just back so I've not read what other people thought yet but for me it was a pretty comfortable victory with a very young and inexperienced side.

We didn't start very well, experienced guys like Lasley looked like they weren't that bothered and young Halsman was making bad elemental mistakes. Clyde had probably their one and only real chance and it looked like it might be a tricky tie.

But as soon as Higdon got the first goal, the kids settled down a bit and started going up the gears and were never in trouble after that. We never hit great heights because we didn't need to but I thought we played pretty well after that and were miles ahead of Clyde. Passed the ball around really well although at times our delivery from wide areas could have been better. We were playing lower league opposition but I didn't think there was a failure in the team and in the end we could have got more while never really being threatened at the back.

All the younger players that started or came on did well after the first 10 minutes or so but the pick of the bunch was Steven Lawless. I liked the look of him when he came on against Leeds and again he impressed tonight and I was delighted to see him get his first goal for the club. He's not quite at the same level as Paul Slane when he came into the side but he looks to me like he has definite potential to be a tidy player for us.

Law was excellent as well but came off quite early and I thought Forbes was excellent as a hub between the back and the front.

Overall a good night and performance.

Forbes, Mchugh and Lawless in particular done themselves no harm at all tonight, even big Gary Smith when he came on. Yes, it was only Clyde, but there link-up and touch were all spot on, hopefully the gaffer liked what he saw also and gives them more of a chance, even if just coming off the bench!

Comfortable night, even Lee Hollis showed us what Sieb can do......he can do better :thumbup:

`Mon the `Well!

It's strange that people are criticising Humphrey, he was going by his man at will and used the ball well.

True. I thought Humphrey was going by the full back with ease but it's his delivery into the box that is the problem. It annoys me when players cross from the 18 yard line, get to the by line and whip it in and don't make it easy for defenders. Especially a player like Humphrey with his pace who wouldn't have a problem doing that.

But he was beating the full back every time and he caused a few problems when he cut inside as well. I think saying he was 'pants' is a bit unfair.

Just back so I've not read what other people thought yet but for me it was a pretty comfortable victory with a very young and inexperienced side.

We didn't start very well, experienced guys like Lasley looked like they weren't that bothered and young Halsman was making bad elemental mistakes. Clyde had probably their one and only real chance and it looked like it might be a tricky tie.

But as soon as Higdon got the first goal, the kids settled down a bit and started going up the gears and were never in trouble after that. We never hit great heights because we didn't need to but I thought we played pretty well after that and were miles ahead of Clyde. Passed the ball around really well although at times our delivery from wide areas could have been better. We were playing lower league opposition but I didn't think there was a failure in the team and in the end we could have got more while never really being threatened at the back.

All the younger players that started or came on did well after the first 10 minutes or so but the pick of the bunch was Steven Lawless. I liked the look of him when he came on against Leeds and again he impressed tonight and I was delighted to see him get his first goal for the club. He's not quite at the same level as Paul Slane when he came into the side but he looks to me like he has definite potential to be a tidy player for us.

Law was excellent as well but came off quite early and I thought Forbes was excellent as a hub between the back and the front.

Overall a good night and performance.

:laugh: :laugh:

Pleased with the result, pleased with most of the young guys' performances too.

Forbes deserves a game this Saturday and Lawless and Carswell can't be far off the first team now either. Law was a class act as usual and took his goal well cool.gif

Glad Higdon got his goal, another 1 or 2 this saturday to put us top would do nicely.

Didn't catch the game. Massively heartened to see that McCall trusted the young guns to get us through the tie. After, on reading, a further impressive Forbes performance, is he maybe beginning to work hard enough and be disciplined enough in his play to warrant a starting argument?

Certainly due a bit of faith, whilst he looks interested. Potential not in doubt, but the application has been in the past.

Great to see Higdon get off the mark, both for himself, and my wallet.

A very good night all round. Easy bus journey from Glasgow, nice couple of pre-match beers and a comfortable passage into the next round! Great to see some young guys play their part, thought Forbes at times ran the midfield and young Lawless was tremendous too, took his goal very well.

It was great to be able to make a few changes, meaning that much of the starting X1 at Dunfermline this Saturday will be fresh and raring to go.

Strolled it last night against poor opposition, once we got the first goal we were always going to push on and score a few. Law was the best player on the park when he was on and took his goal well. Lawless looked decent in patches but was very quiet in the second half apart from his goal.

The criticism of Humphrey seems to be a bit baffling. He did well and looked a lot more confident than in previous games. Had a couple of decent crosses, beat a few men and was unfortunate not score with his left peg.

So play with no wide players at all and have everything go through the middle? Not sure I like that idea, the game against rangers showed a lack of creativity as it is and not sure playing narrower would be the solution to that.

Play with players that are on form. Law and/or Murphy are quite capable of playing wide if required and we have full backs that like to give us width. I didn't see anything from last night's game, but the last few games I have seen, Humphrey has just been poor.