The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

14 goals for a side playin the brand of football St Mirren were last season , battling to stay in the division , isn't the sign of a bad striker . If people stay off his back , and our wide men get good balls into the area , the big man will score goals . End of .

Well, Hateley pretty much done 2 jobs. His job at right back, and most of the time in the first half done a job as a right winger!

Hateley was playing right back on Sunday? Not for us he wasn't! For the record there were 6 decent balls played into the box, 2 from Hateley, 3 from Humphrey and one from Law... Not including corners.... Or the "cross" that ended up being our best chance of the game!

He was flicking the ball on to nobody (nobody playing alongside him), he is not quick, is not mobile and the most worrying thing is:

1. The ball was put in the box today, (I was shocked as well), he didn't make a serious effort to get it.

2. A simple cross into the box to him today and he didn't even jump for it.

3. 5 games no goals says it all.

6 games GOAL?????

That's Higdon off the mark.

Why all the bleating about Sutton hes gone and not our player anymore? time to move on as all talk about Sutton is hypothetical so doesn't really count.

Right on.

His strike rate was prolific last season with a very poor side.

Sutton went for the money and signed for the panto that is Heart of Midlothian.

Time to get behind Higdon.

There was a point in the second half where the Clyde defence were holding a pretty high line, and Higdon was our furthest forward player...ball goes up in the air and is obviously coming down to Higdon who wins the header and knocks the ball behind him into absolute acres of space between the backline and the goal. The amount of folk around me that were bawling out "fuck sake ya dick, theres naeb'dy up there!!", and "hold it up for fuck sake" and "what fuckin use is that Higdon?!"...just absolutely boggled my brain.

There was indeed a fuck-up there...but it certainly WASN'T Higdon. If you watch top-level attackers, they assume the header will be won so that by the time it is they are already flying onto it. McHugh, Law and Lawless all stood and watched him to see if he won it, rather than getting past him regardless...and then worrying about whether he won it or not.

If he's on the 18 yard line and the ball drops to him, then yeah...he should be holding it up, laying it off or trying to turn his man and either play someone in or get a shot away. But If he's 10 yards into the Clyde half and their backline is that high, then what he did is EXACTLY what he should be doing!! When the ball is in the air and it looks like it might even be close to dropping onto Higdon's head, then McHugh in particular, but also Law and Lawless who were playing more attacking roles, should be spotting the space in behind, ignoring Higdon completely and be off their mark straight away into HALF A PARK OF SPACE...by the time they are level with Higdon he's flicked the ball on and they are already at full pelt...the defenders don't have a hope of turning and getting back....whoever takes that chance of Higdon winning it has a one-on-one with the keeper.

• Like 8

There was a point in the second half where the Clyde defence were holding a pretty high line, and Higdon was our furthest forward player...ball goes up in the air and is obviously coming down to Higdon who wins the header and knocks the ball behind him into absolute acres of space between the backline and the goal. The amount of folk around me that were bawling out "fuck sake ya dick, theres naeb'dy up there!!", and "hold it up for fuck sake" and "what fuckin use is that Higdon?!"...just absolutely boggled my brain.

There was indeed a fuck-up there...but it certainly WASN'T Higdon. If you watch top-level attackers, they assume the header will be won so that by the time it is they are already flying onto it. McHugh, Law and Lawless all stood and watched him to see if he won it, rather than getting past him regardless...and then worrying about whether he won it or not.

If he's on the 18 yard line and the ball drops to him, then yeah...he should be holding it up, laying it off or trying to turn his man and either play someone in or get a shot away. But If he's 10 yards into the Clyde half and their backline is that high, then what he did is EXACTLY what he should be doing!! When the ball is in the air and it looks like it might even be close to dropping onto Higdon's head, then McHugh in particular, but also Law and Lawless who were playing more attacking roles, should be spotting the space in behind, ignoring Higdon completely and be off their mark straight away into HALF A PARK OF SPACE...by the time they are level with Higdon he's flicked the ball on and they are already at full pelt...the defenders don't have a hope of turning and getting back....whoever takes that chance of Higdon winning it has a one-on-one with the keeper.

A fair % of our support are clueless mate

The Motherwell support seems to have a high number of people who like watching football but don't actually seem to understand the game.

In forward areas our players are expected to win every header, always beat their man in 1v1 situations, score every shot and successfully complete every pass or cross.

However our defenders are expected to win every header, always successfully tackle the opposition, intercept every pass or cross and the keeper should save every shot.

Some people can't grasp that every team has good players and some of them might just be better than ours.

The Motherwell support seems to have a high number of people who like watching football but don't actually seem to understand the game.

In forward areas our players are expected to win every header, always beat their man in 1v1 situations, score every shot and successfully complete every pass or cross.

However our defenders are expected to win every header, always successfully tackle the opposition, intercept every pass or cross and the keeper should save every shot.

Some people can't grasp that every team has good players and some of them might just be better than ours.

Fortunately this board is crammed with very clever Motherwell fans who do their best to keep the rest in check.

Thats me watched big Higdon in 5 games home and away and apart from the odd flick on he really is ineffective for us up front. If he isn't continually caught offside he's continually fouling the defender in the jump for high balls. Any meagre amount of shots on goal he's had has been powderpuff. To say im dissapointed is an understatement. I thought he'd be a good player for us but with what i've seen so far he's CRAP!! There's no link up with Murphy or Humpries either and we really look pish up front. Two strikers are a MUST for us in the window or our season will go tits up relying on him getting goals for us. :dash2:

:laugh:

• Like 2

I agree mate. I remember praising him when he came to us as he'd scored some cracking goals for StMirren and i veneted my frustration on here at his slow start for us but as i've stated i've got it wrong and i'm delighted. Top of league says it all really :thumbup: