The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

I am firmly in the "Higdon is shite" camp but abusing your own players is utterly brain dead. Would you be able to do your job well if someone kept hurling abuse at your for the duration of your shift?

Humans respond to encouragement, not abuse.

Maybe you didn't, but someone today said that, and plenty other people were shouting various other things of different content but with equal unacceptability. And you're saying he deserved everything he got. Well, no...he didn't.

You're right, we do all pay our money to go see our team play, and anyone not pulling their weight is bringing the team down. But what's pulling the team down are the fucking mongos voicing anger from the stands during a game which we won to send us clear in 3rd, 2 points behind Celtic (which actually shouldn't have any bearing on this anyway). So as a fan and a supporter, start pulling your own fucking weight or people will have a go at you for the same reasons you're having a go at the players.. It's doesn't start and end with paying your money.

I didnt say he deserved everything he got, some of the comments were down right out of order, but he did deserve to be told hes playing shite.

So you are saying we are ment to praise the players when they are doing good, but sit on our hands and say nothing when they are putting no effort in? sorry but it doesnt quite work like that.

Im all for enouraging players, but only if they deserve it, humphrey for example has been poor in the last couple of games, but he puts an effort it, so i shout enouragment to him, but if somone doesnt put the effort in then in my eyes they dont desreve the same comments as somone who is bursting a gutt.

I have commented before that Higdon is not helped by the position he is being asked to play i.e lone striker and the same goes for Jamie Murphy being played wide left. McCall appears to be god tho to some on here and should never be questioned.

I have defended Higdon previously based on the above and can to an extent today, however when a player continues to try and play the man and not the ball it can become irritating. I personally don't think he did enough for himself or the team today and all too often never gave the commitment I would expect.

That said I would still like to see him start next week with a strike partner, preferably Murphy with some support from the midfield.

The only two things Higdon done wrong today, was be flaked off the ball by someone defender looking at him and too many ties expected the ball to drop for him, while it was obvious Aberdeen were not going to give him the time to bring it down and use his feet. Brown did his home-work there.

Sad fact is, McHugh was on the park 5 minutes and won more and out-muscled defenders more times than Higdon did all game, but ffs the shouts from the Cooper were fucking abysmal. Nae need of that, as Geedub said humans respond to encouragement not the shit you got from the Cooper.

I didnt say he deserved everything he got

Eh, aye you did...

he just stands there, out of position, giving no support and making no effort, deserved all he got today.

I like how fans think players "need to be told they are shite", as though the players themselves don't know when they're playing well or not...

• Like 1

I didnt say he deserved everything he got, some of the comments were down right out of order, but he did deserve to be told hes playing shite.

Can you tell me what exactly that accomplishes? I'm willing to bet that the player in question will know he's not been playing well.

So you are saying we are ment to praise the players when they are doing good, but sit on our hands and say nothing when they are putting no effort in? sorry but it doesnt quite work like that.

No, you're supposed to offer encouragement & support. That's how it's supposed to work.

Im all for enouraging players, but only if they deserve it, humphrey for example has been poor in the last couple of games, but he puts an effort it, so i shout enouragment to him, but if somone doesnt put the effort in then in my eyes they dont desreve the same comments as somone who is bursting a gutt.

Are you actually joking?

Got to say, that I think the big man was very poor today..........BUT so were the vast majority of the team. We've said it before but there are some amount of idiots that follow Motherwell and the reaction to Murphy being subbed just summed it up. Love Murphy to bits, but he has been performing well below the level we expect of him for weeks and today his performance was also very disappointing, yet he gets an easy ride whilst Higdon has several hundreds fannys all around the ground screaming abuse at him. Also, when McHugh cam on we reverted to a straight 4-4-2 and I feel this will benefit not only Higdon but the rest of the team as well.

Think higdon restricts the way Jamie plays tbh, we should work the team around him instead of punting the ball every two seconds.

I don't know who is behind Jamie Murphy's recent form but it isn't Michael Higdon.

I believe at this point in time - for whatever reason - Jamie Murphy has absolutely no idea where he's meant to be playing or what he's meant to be doing.

That I'm afraid is downt to either McCall or Murphy himself.

For them to become an effective partnership they need to be playing closer together and I'd imagine that It'd suit everybody if Jamie was playing slightly ahead of Higdon if anything. One thing's for sure you know exactly where Higdon's gonna be - so it shouldn't be hard to figure out wher Jamie should be

Overall the abuse the big man is taking is absolutely diabolical. The above quoted post sums it up. This 'incomer' is not only to blame for his own bad form - but he's also to blame for our own wee jamie Murphy's bad form as well.

Right somebody down to B&Q for some pitchforks, parafin and torches - We're gonna run this demon out of town

All we need is some c**t to strike up duelin' banjos as a soundtrack :laugh:

I'll ask it again (and hope for an answer) - What good is this abuse doing anybody?

Not the best performance from the guy today but I think it was more to do with the fact that he was up against a big, strong centre-back who clearly had his number and was Aberdeen's best player by a mile. You can't expect a guy to completely change his style of play at the drop of a ball because the player he's up against has him sussed.

Watched the big man past couple of games and he doesn't look to hot on the ball but I'll put this out there, Motherwell as a unit haven't produced much in the final third of the park as of late. I'd recon he could get us just as many goals as sutton if we were able to provide him. All I've seen him do is hold the ball up in positions where no well players are making any runs. I'd point the finger at Humphrey who's job is to put balls in the box. Half the time he canny beat the first man. Motherwell have been getting to the edge of the 18 yard box recently and running out of ideas.

McCall defends his decision(not that he needs to) to leave Higdon on and take Murphy off, I would take a stab in the dark and suggest that NONE of the boo-boys would have given any though to Higdons defensive duties when they were booing the decision. Goes to show that there is more to it than most would have thought.........

While some fans gave the former St Mirren man some stick, McCall is conscious of what The Steelmen’s top scorer brings to the team.

“I have seen this ever since I was a boy when I went to Leeds and I used to hear Terry Yorath get a lot of stick,” the 47-year old recalled. “There always seems to be a boo-boy. If I am a supporter of a club I can’t understand it.

“Higgy has just got to get on with it, we are all in it together at Motherwell as players, staff and fans and we need to stick together and get behind each other.

“You pay your money – but for the benefit of the team we had to keep him on. We are a small team at set pieces. We had Steven Hammell picking up Scott Vernon and Tom Hateley picking up Andrew Considine. If you then take Higdon off we could have been undone.

“We miss Hutchinson and Saunders and if we would have kicked ourselves if we had lost a goal from a set piece if we had taken him off.”

• Like 2

Against Hibs we must have either crossed the ball or played it across the face of the goal more than we have in all the other games combined and it's no surprise that Higdon got on the end of one and set up the another.

If you supply him, he shall score. If you get folk up in support of him, he will link up with them. Today he did neither, but by no means was it all his own doing.

Still think he will bang the goals in for us though.

• Like 2

The guy is doing all he can. He cant be something he's not. If we want the best out of him we have to play to his strengths. There are players in the team underperforming more than he is but they seem to be immune from criticism.

• Like 1

The guy is doing all he can. He cant be something he's not. If we want the best out of him we have to play to his strengths. There are players in the team underperforming more than he is but they seem to be immune from criticism.

That, my fellow 'well fans, was the sound of a nail being struck directly on the fuckin heid!

Now give it a fuckin rest ya bunch of wife beatin bullies - and get behind the fuckin team!

• Like 1