The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

It all has to come together in order to get the results we've been getting though, surely? It's all well & good for our midfield and defence to be playing well, but we need someone to stick the ball in the net at the other end, which he's been doing.

I simply can't see where anyone can be critical of any first team regulars at present. We're doing abolutely superb at the moment, and that's down to everyone, from the management to the team.

there are a lot of flaws at most levels at the club and in the team, and if everyone is honest, we all have thoughts on what could be better

some air their feelings on here and are seen as super critical and berated or questioned, whereas most will just discuss it at the game or in pub/work with pals

look at all the questions about Hughes not walking straight into squad, clearly many think the midfield could be better , yet thats the same midfield thats delivered =2nd

same questions can be asked of the goals we're losing mostly from mistakes :ph34r:

likewise Higdon or Murphy, neither have really lit up the scoring charts

but as a team they are excelling at getting points on the board

doesn't stop the football manager in most of us thinking 'what if' or 'xxxx is better'

I think its a sign of the successful players that we have had , that despite Higgys success many are thinking 'what if' Skippy, Juke, Clarky, Porter, Faddy, Sutton had been here

cannae wait for next seasons 'goalkeeper is shite thread' :doh:

we have, who we have, at the level we are at, it does seem kind of daft criticising the players but I must admit to thinking, what if, at quite a few times already :nod:

i still don't rate him though, if we had a clarkson or jutkiewic this season we would be demolishing teams.

Spot on. If we had a Clarky or Juke playing we'd be demolishing teams. Higdon plus one of them (or both?) would be a very scary partnership for any SPL defence

in our last two away games the opposing keeper hasn't made a save.

That makes our strikeforce looking even better. The fact we only need one chance to one goal :whistling:

• Like 1

At this stage of the season (15 league games) this is how they compare:

Sutty last year: 4 goals in 23 games

Blackman last year: 10 goals in 19 goals

Higdon this year: 8 goals in 16 games

It just shows you Higdon's goal ratio is nothing to be sniffed at. It's slightly worse than Blackman's last season, but I dare I say it, I thought Blackman gave pretty much nothing to the team when he wasn't sccoring. Higdon contributes to our team superbly, attackingly and defensively.

I've said from the very beginning that I think it's quite refreshing to have a centre forward who is disciplined in his positioning.

To some of the more uneducated amongst us this means that he doesn't chase every single loose ball and run from corner to corner leaving his Position exposed on occasions. Sutton to me was guilty of sometimes trying too much and working hard that when our midfielders got the ball he wasn't where he was supposed to be.

It's no surprise to me this year that some of our midfielders and ball players, Lasley, Hately and Hammell et al are having better seasons. They actually have a viable centre forward target to hit. Someone who will be where he is meant to be, in the middle.

This is often misconstrued as being lazy, by our fans and fans of his clubs before. ESP those who just like to see blood and snotters fitba, chasing around all day running into corners and jumping pure dead high to win headers.

I think he has been a great signing.

• Like 2

Blackman last year: 10 goals in 19 goals

Higdon this year: 8 goals in 16 games

It just shows you Higdon's goal ratio is nothing to be sniffed at. It's slightly worse than Blackman's last season,

Pedantic of me, but Higdons ratio is better.

I've no been his biggest fan, but the stats don't lie.

For the people that prefer Clarkson, Jutkiewicz etc. over Higdon, the career league stats are:

Jutkiewicz: 0.22 goals per game

Clarskon: 0.21 goals per game

Blackman: 0.23 goals per game

Higdon: 0.22 goals per game

By comparison, Arnott was 0.24 goals per game.

All of these pale in comparison to Mr. Tommy Coyne with 0.40 goals per game :notworthy:

I've said from the very beginning that I think it's quite refreshing to have a centre forward who is disciplined in his positioning.

To some of the more uneducated amongst us this means that he doesn't chase every single loose ball and run from corner to corner leaving his Position exposed on occasions. Sutton to me was guilty of sometimes trying too much and working hard that when our midfielders got the ball he wasn't where he was supposed to be.

Good points. I remember saying after the Dunfermline game that his goals were great examples of Centre Forward strikes. The first was was beautifully passed into the corner, and the second was a simple tap-in thanks to being in exactly the right place for the cross.

i still think we need some wee tweaks up front.

we're winning games by the thinnest margins at the moment and we're not creating many chances other than via tom hateley's crossing. the away games have been great but we have carried a fair bit of luck (long may it continue) and we're not scoring at home.

for me mccall has to figure out how to get more out of murphy, he put in a good shift in midfield on saturday but he's wasted playing so deep. i was expecting big things from him linking up with nicky law this season but they haven't really gelled and seem to take up each other's space. i'd play them out wide on either side of higdon with omar playing behind or hughes in centre mid. we need to get jamie firing on all cylinders as we badly need his goals and a good transfer fee in the summer.

i still think we need some wee tweaks up front.

we're winning games by the thinnest margins at the moment and we're not creating many chances other than via tom hateley's crossing. the away games have been great but we have carried a fair bit of luck (long may it continue) and we're not scoring at home.

for me mccall has to figure out how to get more out of murphy, he put in a good shift in midfield on saturday but he's wasted playing so deep. i was expecting big things from him linking up with nicky law this season but they haven't really gelled and seem to take up each other's space. i'd play them out wide on either side of higdon with omar playing behind or hughes in centre mid. we need to get jamie firing on all cylinders as we badly need his goals and a good transfer fee in the summer.

Fool

• 3 months later...

Even at The Dunfermline game we still had people calling him all the lazy c***s of the day, tonight up steps the big man to take a penalty in what may be a season defining moment, didn't worry about what if he missed and got dogs abuse , he had the confidence and the balls to grab the nettle by the thorns and score not once but twice.Tonights man of the match ,not for the hat trick or any thing else, just for the heart for the first penalty :notworthy:

So pleased for the Big Man last night.

Thought the service to him first half was shocking but 2nd half he was awesome. Excellent hold up play, flicks, knock ons, wee one/twos. Balls of steel on the first pen which was crucial for us to get back into the game, would have been so easy to hide and then the overhead kick!

Been said before, he's not doing a lot different than he was before but in Ojamaa he has found the perfect foil.

Take a bow Big Chap!