The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

I like the look of Higdon, decent touch, can hold the ball in, link with the midfield, wins a helluva lot in the air and is a real handful for most centre-backs to handle.............. BUT............. he wont be effective for us until we play with someone up beside him, for all the flick-ons he won today there was rarely any c**t anywhere near him which defeats the purpose. I'd play Murphy up top and tell him to work close by Higdon and I'm pretty sure that you'd see both of them score more goals playing like that.

So anyway, back to the OP........you're talking shite!!

• Like 4

I like the look of Higdon, decent touch, can hold the ball in, link with the midfield, wins a helluva lot in the air and is a real handful for most centre-backs to handle.............. BUT............. he wont be effective for us until we play with someone up beside him, for all the flick-ons he won today there was rarely any c**t anywhere near him which defeats the purpose.

Thank you... a bit of common sense at last. I've been saying this since he first signed with us.

My greatest fear today was that we would play in a 4-5-1 formation with Higdon as the lone striker. We have only one recognised first team striker on the books and thats Michael Higdon. He was left far too exposed with the midfield not linking up for knock downs and Jamie Murphy was nightmare to play with - all over the ship (in fairness probably playing to instructions). He gave Higdon no support whatosever. I ask you what striker can play well under those circumstances?

Time to get off Michael Higdon's back. We need to give him a strike partner to play alongside and a back up to slot in as and when required. Unil then he won't be effective.

Of our 5 league goals this season how many have been scored by strikers? Two (40%). Its not rocket science.

Jamie Murphy is a winger end of.. so play him there.

• Like 1

I like the look of Higdon, decent touch, can hold the ball in, link with the midfield, wins a helluva lot in the air and is a real handful for most centre-backs to handle.............. BUT............. he wont be effective for us until we play with someone up beside him, for all the flick-ons he won today there was rarely any c**t anywhere near him which defeats the purpose. I'd play Murphy up top and tell him to work close by Higdon and I'm pretty sure that you'd see both of them score more goals playing like that.

Pretty much sums the back man up for me.

I've been impressed with Higdon's work rate since his arrival. Defending deep into out half as well. Think we need a 'number 9' to put the ball in the pokey and until then, I think we will struggle in front of goal and have to rely on the defence winning us games and not the number of goals scored.

But that's a different issue.

To be fair to the big man, he is the perfect example of an East Stand boo boys target. Does a lot of the dirty work but as it's not obvious, it goes unnoticed by a lot of 'Well fans. Guys like Derek Adams and Marc Fitzpatrick were along the same lines - did their jobs well and were picked regularly on that basis, yet received abuse from those who, presumably, just fail to notice what it is they're actually supposed to be doing. It's just the price that "less glamorous" footballers pay for plying their trade in front of folk who think they know better.

I'd be surprised if he isn't the boo boys' latest fling soon enough, especially if he doesn't score soon. But to be fair, Saints fans said that would happen. Ross Forbes will be delighted.

Well that took long. :lol:

Higdon will come good and score goals when he gets some decent service and support.

Murphy was very poor today, he was well off the pace and far to easily bundled off the ball. Any scouts watching today wouldn't have been impressed. Higdon was holding the ball well at times, but no-one was running ahead of him.

Higdon is probably slower than Sutton (that is saying something) but his ability to hold the ball up could be utilised a lot more.

Anyone would struggle in a team who persist with a winger who can't beat a man or cross a ball,it seems strange that people have made their mind up about Higdon after 5 games yet Humphrey has had 3 seasons to learn how to kick a ball into the box for one of his own players and still fails miserably.

• Like 1

Anyone would struggle in a team who persist with a winger who can't beat a man or cross a ball,it seems strange that people have made their mind up about Higdon after 5 games yet Humphrey has had 3 seasons to learn how to kick a ball into the box for one of his own players and still fails miserably.

Motherwell fans, like all football fans, will pick and choose who they want to slag off. Jamie Murphy should have gotten pelters on a few occasions today for having no interest in even attempting to anticipate a flick on from Higdon, yet it was Higdon who was getting moaned at for presumably not flicking the ball straight to a 'Well players feet. Higdon's ability to hold the ball up and flick headers on could be a very valuable asset, if the other attacking players bothered their arses to put it to use. But they haven't bothered yet.

• Like 3

agreed humphrey really has to pull the finger out and start upping his game

Seem to recall several St Mirran fans saying he would frustrate, get blown for fouls just for being near the ball, and ge misused as a target man just becase he's big. All about right.

Can't say he has impressed but he clearly needs more than five games to find his game here, there's no doubt he has something about him.

Can't beleive all the Super Sutton comparisons too - Sutton took three seasons to become a first team pick!

Porter was 'shite' until he scored his first goal- in the league cup. Not counting the one that hit his arse against Gretna, obviously.

Thats the kind team Higdon will pump them in to, get his confidence up and he'll be following in the footsteps of the big man soon enough. CALM DOWN.

agreed humphrey really has to pull the finger out and start upping his game

Can`t disagree with this, but why can we not try something different and play Humph through the middle, working off big Higdons flick-ons?

Am sure he started out as a striker at West Brom, and a think it could work a treat:

Randy

Hateley Hutch Crags Hammell

Murphy Las Jenno Law

Humphrey Higdon

Potential there if you ask me.....

So anyway, back to the OP........you're talking shite!!

Well i agree with the OP.

When he first signed i said he'd be pish for us and was met by a chorus of 'yer talking shite' replies and i haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.Imo his first touch is shit, he's a lazy fucker who keeps fouling or getting caught offside and his hold up play is nowhere near as good as Sutton was.Of course he'll win a few headers and score a few goals since he's our main forward but come the end of the season Sutton will have a far better record and Higdon won't be seen as a success.

Well i agree with the OP.

When he first signed i said he'd be pish for us and was met by a chorus of 'yer talking shite' replies and i haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.Imo his first touch is shit, he's a lazy fucker who keeps fouling or getting caught offside and his hold up play is nowhere near as good as Sutton was.Of course he'll win a few headers and score a few goals since he's our main forward but come the end of the season Sutton will have a far better record and Higdon won't be seen as a success.

Yer talking shite.

:lol:

We'll see.

In fact i'm that confident that i'd be willing to bet Higdon won't score more spl goals than Sutton.

thats not really a fair bet - most players will score more goals with Hearts then they would with Motherwell........better players blah blah blah

anyway, when we had the Higdon / Sutton debate, i was firmly in the Sutton camp........he IS/WAS a better player, and to all those who said, he's far more mobile..............you want to change your tune now?!

but Higdon is our player - and we need to support him. The PLAYERS on the park need to support him. If we are going to throw balls up to him, Murphy, Law, Humphrey need to go beyond him or get close to him. That hasn't happened.

How many good crosses have we put into the box for him? Has the service to him been good?

For the past few seasons, we have been moaning that we try to pass the ball into the net like Barca and Arsenal - everyone is scared to shoot. This is one guy, who if he gets half a chance will try and pull the trigger. And we still moan....................

• Like 1

I think too many folk expected him to be a direct replacement for Sutton, but he is not that type of striker. Sutton was more of a 'grafter' who could hold the ball up and draw fouls from defenders. Michael Higdon is a target man/penalty box forward who would score goals in a side that provides him with the right service, something which we are not capable of doing.

There in lies the problem, as we have yet to replace our 17 goal striker.

This thread really is pure and utter pish, :dash2:

The supply big Higgy is getting is non existent. He battles up top on his own most of the time any chance of a hand. You just need to take a look at St Mirren. Look at Stevie Thomson either Gary Teale or that we Macgowan boy are playing off him most occasions.

By the way how many goals did Higgy score in a poor St mirren team last year in the SPL??? 14 beleive it or not Sutton scored 10.

The big man will come good he just needs the supply.

The problem is our fucking waste of space of a right winger who canny cross his legs! Higdon done alot of donkey work yesterday which went un-noticed with a good few 'well fans. If he gets a goal the goals will keep on coming for the big man. Get off the guys back