The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

This thread is an absolute fucking joke and I don't know whether to cringe or laugh when I read the updated version after Higdon hasn't set the world alight in one particular game.

Also if you notice, this thread is now thirty three pages long. It was not touched once among those thirty three pages when at the start of October, when Higdon became only the third Motherwell player to win the Scottish Premier League player of the month award.

Some folk are in dire need of a grip.

I agree, but that was in October Joeboy, currently and ill think you agree he is off the boil, so I dont think it would harm him to get a reminder!

Or putting penalties over the bar or making shots at goal look like pass backs or failing to control out balls or passing balls back from the edge of the box instead of shooting or committing stupid fouls on the half way line etc, etc. He's had good games and scored some good goals in the last couple of years which is why he's still playing but if he's off form, which he appears to be at the moment then we do need to use a plan B or C which might not include him.

Its ok, I'll go and take a tablet and wait for the onslaught.

• Like 2

Or putting penalties over the bar or making shots at goal look like pass backs or failing to control out balls or passing balls back from the edge of the box instead of shooting or committing stupid fouls on the half way line etc, etc. He's had good games and scored some good goals in the last couple of years which is why he's still playing but if he's off form, which he appears to be at the moment then we do need to use a plan B or C which might not include him.

Its ok, I'll go and take a tablet and wait for the onslaught.

AGREE WITH YOU

Sometimes it just needs saying, Knowone is saying he shite.... we are just saying lets have a look at some other options while he is pondering his next goal...Ive ran out of positive ticks!

• Like 1

I agree, but that was in October Joeboy, currently and ill think you agree he is off the boil, so I dont think it would harm him to get a reminder!

Sometimes it just needs saying, Knowone is saying he shite.... we are just saying lets have a look at some other options while he is pondering his next goal...Ive ran out of positive ticks!

So where was all this "no harm to get a reminder" or "look at other options" when your pin up boy was going through his "off the boil" spells?

Regardless of whatever level of performance he turned in he was still the first name in your preferred starting eleven.

Why isn't Higdon afforded the same support from you as he works through his "off the boil" spell?

• Like 2

I don't know why the complaints about Higdon still surprise me, but they do. Circa 90% of our attacks involve Higdon in some form or other, usually taking the ball in midfield (anywhere between foot and neck level), battling off some big donkey (or two) of a centre half, and laying it out wide while he then busts a gut to get into the box, only for Humphrey/Hateley/Hammell/Murphy (delete as apporpriate) to put the ball into row Z, or turn back and pass it back to defence.

Most games I've seen he's only getting one or two decent balls in to him, while in the box. Wednesday night he had one single clear-cut chance, that he unfortunately didn't hit properly. At this level, we don't have the luxury of strikers who have a 1:1 chance/goal ratio. Create more opportunities for him and he'll start putting them away.

Honestly, how much do some people expect one man to do?

• Like 3

i'll put my head on the line for the big man.........

an 18-yard box striker playing off him wouldn't have any more success than the two wider front men (Murphy and Ojamma),

this is how we got out success last year - when we have someone who plays WITH him - our wide men DO NOT get forward enough to support him and he is isolated far too often

....... who see Higdon as this flick and knock-on expert, if anything my take is that he doesn't do it enough and as a result we lose possession far too cheaply trying to bring him into the game. Time to drop him and try an alternative approach - like play football on the ground to feet.

i wouldnt say he is a knock on expert, especially to the degree of Daly, and I commented on that the other night. However, he does win his share, and its NOT his fault that no one gambles and goes beyond him - like the two wide men you suggested above or one of the central midfielders - we do not need to drop him to "play football on the ground to feet" as you suggest. Some of our best football has been when he is in the team and we play to his strengths. He isnt the one making 40/50/60 yard "punts" up the park (i use the term punt, because they aint passes) - thats the other players - why do you not berate them for their "useless" passes?

Higdon - slow and cumbersome with little, to no control of the ball and as a result our more forward thinking players are unable to decide what they should actually do to support him.

Seriously? As above, stop lumping the ball forward. Play football, play it to his chest, knee, feet - that way, if the defender wants the ball - they have to go through him. Free Kick to us. As soon as its up in the air, the defender is always going to get the benefit of the doubt. If he had no touch / control, he wouldnt be playing football and have scored the goals he has done. You dont score as many as him for small clubs like us, Falkirk, St MIdden if you are sh1te

If its not bash Higgy day, its bash Murphy week / month. We're Motherwell - we're never going to be the best, as soon as someone proves to be good - they are gone. Its exactly what is going to happen in January or come the end of the season. Our best players are going to walk - and they will be replaced by others who are not as good.

It wouldnt matter if we had Rooney, Drogba or Ibrahimovic playing up front for us - if the rest of the team play as they are and they all got the service Higdon gets, they wouldn't be scoring either

• Like 2

Hes clearly capable of sticking his boot through the ball and grab a goal, but Im in the camp where I think hes been a passenger the last few games.

If hes not scoring hes useless. Ojamma whilst not scoring puts in 4 or 5 times the work Higdon does, and whilst not scoring the contribution to the team is immense. Im pretty sure thats the reason hes been subbed, purely ran himself into the ground.

I think Higdon will get chances on Saturday, but if hes showing nothing again I'd have him off after 50 minutes and give McHugh and Ojamma some time together to see what they can do.

But he is scoring though, isn't he? I thought that's what strikers were supposed to do?