The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

In Craig Brown's time they were offered Andy Carroll on loan, but decided they didn't want a striker, and think it was Gunning they signed on loan.

I know Craig Brown makes it ridiculously easy for 'Well fans to blame him but.....

.....Andy Carroll was certainly linked with a loan move to Motherwell certainly, but it was well before Craig Brown came to town, it might even have been Maurice Malpas who was keen on bringing him up to Fir Park!

Gunning was signed after Brown left, by Stuart McCall.

I can appreciate what the big man does and I also understand where he is lacking, ideally we would have a guy like big Lucas or Andy Carroll, but we don't and we probably never will

Higdon has scored more goals this season than Andy Carroll has scored in his last 61 games.

In Craig Brown's time they were offered Andy Carroll on loan, but decided they didn't want a striker, and think it was Gunning they signed on loan.

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

Craig Brown's claim was that he was offered a loan player by Blackburn and they offered Phil Jones but he said a forward was a priority so he took Nick Blackman instead.

We were offered Phil Jones? Surely not, wasn't he breaking into the Blackburn team at the time...

Regarding Higdon he's a very good player for us but I think it's a bit unfair on him to rely on him for 90mins 35+ times a season. He'd probably score the same amount of goals starting 10 less games a season. Sadly, McCall doesn't like to alter our style of play to play without a big frontman from time to time. Watching Hibs today, some of the interplay between Griffiths, Doyle and Cairney was a joy to watch.

Craig Brown: I was offered £15m boy Phil Jones on loan while at Motherwell - but was happy with defence

11 Jun 2011 00:00CRAIG BROWN last night admitted he turned down the chance to sign £15million Manchester United new boy Phil Jones for Motherwell.

CRAIG BROWN last night admitted he turned down the chance to sign £15million Manchester United new boy Phil Jones for Motherwell.

Jones has passed a medical although the deal has hit a late snag with Blackburn and United arguing over his fee..

And Brown, now Aberdeen manager, was recommended the Blackburn rookie centreback last summer.

But at the time Brown was happy with his central defensive partnership of Stephen Craigan and Mark Reynolds.

The 19-year-old Englishman, who had not played a first-team game at Ewood Park at that point, was offered on loan by former Rovers' boss Sam Allardyce. He also recommended Grant Hanley - now a Scotland cap - and striker Nick Blackman.

Brown decided to take Blackman but felt well enough covered to leave Jones and Hanley at Blackburn.

The Dons boss told Record Sport: "I was in Qatar with big Sam working on the World Cup for Al Jazeera and he told me all about the three of them.

"A year ago they were on the fringe of the first team but we could have had them.

"But I decided to go for Blackman because I felt we were okay at centre half with Craigan and Reynolds. We needed a striker, so we went for Nick.

"It shows how things can change quickly but at the time it was right for Motherwell."

We were offered Phil Jones? Surely not, wasn't he breaking into the Blackburn team at the time...

Regarding Higdon he's a very good player for us but I think it's a bit unfair on him to rely on him for 90mins 35+ times a season. He'd probably score the same amount of goals starting 10 less games a season. Sadly, McCall doesn't like to alter our style of play to play without a big frontman from time to time. Watching Hibs today, some of the interplay between Griffiths, Doyle and Cairney was a joy to watch.

I like Higdon and if fit he wont get dropped . Reason ? He is the best defender of the ball at corners . Watch him the next time your at a game when the opposition have a corner.Plus he is our top scorer with the best scoring average in our squad since he signed.

I like Higdon and if fit he wont get dropped . Reason ? He is the best defender of the ball at corners . Watch him the next time your at a game when the opposition have a corner.Plus he is our top scorer with the best scoring average in our squad since he signed.

I'm well aware of his work at defending corners but that shouldn't be high on the list of priorities when it comes to his inclusion.

I'm well aware of his work at defending corners but that shouldn't be high on the list of priorities when it comes to his inclusion.

It's right up there with scoring goals, both of which he seems more than capable of doing.

Honestly, unless the people arguing that Higdon is no good are simply in it for the lolz, I can't see what the issue is with him. He's doing the job he's asked to do, and considering the wage budget and size of our club, he's exactly the kind of guy we need.

It's right up there with scoring goals, both of which he seems more than capable of doing.

Honestly, unless the people arguing that Higdon is no good are simply in it for the lolz, I can't see what the issue is with him. He's doing the job he's asked to do, and considering the wage budget and size of our club, he's exactly the kind of guy we need.

Basically he had a 6 game drought, in it he missed a few very decent chances including a pen while as a team we largely also endured a sticky patch. Therefore Higdon is officially an easy target again unless he hits another run like he had when he banged in 7 in 4 games when people will shut up for a few games waiting for their prejudice to be vindicated by another barren spell in the fullness of time.

The six game drought included playing against both the Old Firm where McCall decided not to attempt to score! And he notched six in the three (I think) leading to the bad run.

He's a fine player. The best traditional number nine we've had in a long time.

I think some people will only appreciate what Higdon brings to the team next season when we don't have him.

Too many seem focussed on what he doesn't do and ignore the good things he does.

I wouldn't like to think where we'd be without him this season...

• Like 5

Is he out of contract in the summer? Was not aware of that at all. Still, we must be in with a shout of keeping him. Cant imagine he can take much of a step up. Hes pretty much found his level. A move to a bigger SPL clubs about as far as i can see him going.

Or anywhere - paying the same money - where he won't get roasted by a bunch of frustrated wife beating c***s

• Like 2

Is he out of contract in the summer? Was not aware of that at all. Still, we must be in with a shout of keeping him. Cant imagine he can take much of a step up. Hes pretty much found his level. A move to a bigger SPL clubs about as far as i can see him going.

not sure what constitutes a bigger SPL club? surely 8 or 9 SPL clubs can offer him a better deal than we will? and what 30 or so English clubs?

be surprised if we retain him when his contract is up

not sure what constitutes a bigger SPL club? surely 8 or 9 SPL clubs can offer him a better deal than we will? and what 30 or so English clubs?

be surprised if we retain him when his contract is up

Let me re-phrase. I cant see many champ or league 1 teams being interested in him. I could imagine however a Hibs or Aberdeen coming in with a decent contract for him.

Im a Higdon fan& he would be a loss, but he's far from irreplaceable. Over the last 5 years we have lost far better strikers than the big man.

• Like 1

Aye well Higdon could no more do Clarkson, McCormacks, Porter, Jutkiewicz(sp) type roles either then. He will be a loss if he goes but like the 4 mentioned sure he can be replaced.

Arguably Sutton, Porter and Jukeiwicz played a similar lead the line type role. Probably closest to Sutton in style but whilst I like Higdon I'd take the rest in a flash before him with exception of Sutton where bit more of a coin toss.

At a time when we're cutting the budget, I can't see us replacing Higdon with anyone of similar or better quality.

Jutkiewicz was a better allround striker but was never really ours. Porter was someone we could only afford due to Boyle's generosity. McCormack was a different type of player and someone we were lucky to get. Clarkson came from our youth set up, no guarantees anyone else can come from there to fill the gap. And for me, Higdon is better than Sutton.

In my opinion, Higdon and Randolph are the only things keeping us from a struggle against relegation...