The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

Adored Tommy Coyne, no offence to Higdon as I love the big man but Coyne was a better all round player.

Maybe sentiment taking over as was a teenager when Coyne was playing and they were my fondest memories of watching Motherwell.

But that was then & big Higgy is the man now notworthy.gif

I was in my teens when TC was at fir park. As I said back to goal linking the game, target man and in the penalty box... Higdon is better.

Coyne had a few things Higdon lacks... A spark. To create a chance from nothing and beating players with a flash of genius.

Coyne was a much more exciting player to watch. Which is probably why he's (rightly) so fondly remembered. Higdons record stands for itself though.

I'd say Davie Cooper was the best all round player I've seen in a 'Well shirt though.

ETA...

Agree with you mate about DC , the best ive seen at Fir Park without a doubt .Without DC we would not have won the cup in 91.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to suggest Higdon's a better all round player than TC was. Some facets of his game are superior what TC had in those areas. A straight choice between the two?... I'd say TC was the better player.

Lets not underestimate what Higgy brings to us. We'll be lucky if we have another striker as good as him in the next decade.

Fair play to big guy. Always seems to deal with criticism the right way regardless of how warranted it was, and now grabbed his own bit of Fir Park history. Hope he sticks around.

I genuinely think he will weeyin, certainly hope so, I also think one or two others will surprise us and resign, as well. Perhaps I'm being naive, but just my gut feeling.

Love the big man . He's not blessed with pace , but I honestly think his all round game has came on leaps and bounds since he came to us and he is one of the most natural finishers in the league .

Seems to be willing to drop deeper now to link up and his much improved hold up play and lay offs have been instrumental in a lot of the good stuff we have played .

He's scored some excellent goals with headers and both feet , yet some knobs still see fit to criticise . Would be as big a miss as Randolph at the other end if he was to leave IMHO .

1362260469[/url]' post='375802']

Agree with you mate about DC , the best ive seen at Fir Park without a doubt .Without DC we would not have won the cup in 91.

Don't forget Kirk without. His goal I doubt we would have got past aberdeen. Then oneil pen against Morton and wonder goal that killed smelltic. Cooper was good but so were others equally if not better in individual games.

TC was still a classy player tho.cheers.gif

1362325159[/url]' post='375871']

To be fair we thought that when Porter left but Sutton stepped in and we thought that when he left and Higgy came in. Good record of replacing goalscorers, although not 20 by March right enough!

So how many has he scored this season? A bbc report quotes 18, a stats site I looked at quotes 19, and people on here are saying 20. I haven't gone back and counted.

1362324913[/url]' post='375870']

Incredible to think 'Well fans appeared to not like Higdon at one point.

I shudder to think how we will replace him if he goes.

Quite a lot of folk took an instant dislike to him for some reason, others still can't bring themselves to admit they were wrong (steelboy?).

I can remember when he played with Falkirk and St Mirren in particular that he regularly made a c**t of our defence, and with us generally having a better team than them and therefore creating more chance I always felt that he would be a good signing for us.

• Like 1

hopefully he will sign on the dotted line - hes made vocal attempts to say that he wants to stay (family reasons are more important than money) and i think we might be come up against a John Sutton type scenario.

If he continues to slam the goals in for the remainder of the season, then teams will no doubt be having a look. He stays in Stirling, and wants to remain there - that to me says he can play for almost every team in the SPL apart from Aberdeen and the 2 HIghland teams. However, if he hits that magical 25 goal mark - we might even see teams from down south offering him money he just cant refuse - 3 or 4 times what we are offering.

He wants to stay - thats half the battle, lets offer him something now and hope its enough for him to sign

I think Higdon is overlooked in the media and not rated as highly by folk as players like Griffiths and Russell because he doesn't create his own chances as often as them and doesn't have the same fitba flashes that entertain the crowds. What he does have instead is intelligent movement which puts him in the right place at the right time (vs Celtic) or to smash in a half chance in the box (his second against ICT the other week).

For guys like Humphrey, Law and Ojamma it must be an absolute joy to know there's a guy like that in front of you ready to pounce on the chances you create.

Glad to say he was the man I hoped we'd sign to replace Sutton and I haven't ended up with egg on my face, more power to his elbow, and a big Higdon to all his doubters, shame on you. As for replacing him when the time comes, haven't a clue but I'm sure we'll get someone, we always do, it's what we do.

Behave yourself Roly , Higdon better than Coyne ??

Im a huge Higdon fan and shudder to think where we would have been without him this season , certainly not second.

Coyne however in over 500 games spanning 20 years had a 1:2 and and a bit games ratio at club level and a 1 :3 and a bit games at International level (first pick striker at the '94 world cup while a Motherwell player) , not bad considering in the 3 or 4 years after he left us he never scored many at all.

Coyne was a class above and theres no shame on Higdon for that.