Celtic Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

With someone holding up a Union Flag on your way out.

I have been a huge fan of our singing section this season, has really made a difference to both my enjoyment of the games and the team and players themselves, and I do agree that the police and stewards were just waiting for the first excuse to wade in, but with both of those in mind, I have to say that the Union Flag and the Seig Heil additions into the chants, put me off more than any stewarding or police issues. What a pile of absolute pish to be associated with. If folk want to do that, then that's their business, im not particularly commenting on those things themselves or to get into a debate about it. What I am saying however, is that if the aims for that group of lads revolve around getting as much of our support as possible to join in (which has been happening to great effect at games so far), then you have to keep and personal beliefs/interests/opinions out of it, and appeal to the masses.

Like I say this season the guys responsible for that section have been amazing, but the reason for that seemed to be there was a bit of maturity and responsibility coming through, and have rightfully been revelling in the fact that they represent the wider fanbase, and doing it in a way that has really earned the respect of the rest of the support. Yesterday im afraid just saw a few things slip back into the reasons that many Motherwell fans have spent the last 2 seasons writing them off as an embarrassing annoyance. If you want the wider support to join in with the chants and that kind of atmosphere to become widespread at our games, then it's completely counter-productive to include things that alienate people and make them not want to be a part of it. Like I say, the tail end of last season...particularly the cup final efforts, and everything from this season was really starting to grow a lot of genuine respect from the rest of the fans, the club and in the last few weeks, the media. Don't fuck it up after all that with petty wind-up pish that many folk just don't want anything to do with.

If your aims are to get as many people involved as possible, you have to keep it neutral and appeal to as many people as possible. If your aim is to express your own personal opinion of what you think should be okay, then you have to accept that most won't agree, and you'll always be a tiny minority within the support, and all your efforts will be pointless as the majority folk won't want to be associated with it. You can't have it both ways.

The seig heils are something we thought was stamped out, very audible yesterday though. not good. The UJ was a total wind up, wasn't really my thing,  and I'll say that as one of those who was holding it aloft as we left. Went to grab it off the seats, forgetting it was taped to the seat at the bottom, thus being held aloft, I'll be honest I was shitting it when I realised i was holding it up like that. At the same time the reaction from the celtic support was mental. 

Our intention since really last season when it kicked off for us has mainly been to get as many people singing as we can, change the atmosphere etc. We don't wish to alienate anybody, hence no group name or membership system, none of the self styled ULTRAS banners down the front etc. The rest of the support have been great towards us since the quarter finals last season as has the media response. For me some of the conduct yesterday was poor. Mainly let down by the lack of alot of older lads not being there. Poorest numbers we've had this season, poorest participation we've had this season, just a blip. Won't ever be back  there though.

The seig heils are something we thought was stamped out, very audible yesterday though. not good. The UJ was a total wind up, wasn't really my thing,  and I'll say that as one of those who was holding it aloft as we left. Went to grab it off the seats, forgetting it was taped to the seat at the bottom, thus being held aloft, I'll be honest I was shitting it when I realised i was holding it up like that. At the same time the reaction from the celtic support was mental. 

It doesn't wind them up though mate. It merely justifies what they say about us and makes them right. You think you're winding them up, when in actual fact you're just making their point for them and they can just sit back and say "see?"

Fuck Celtic and their ignorance towards our fans, they can call us h**s without the bus fare all they want, shows them up more than us.

Bring the UJ next week, nothing wrong with that either, unless it upsets the Scottish Nationalists among us. :evilgrin:

I have an ignorance towards our own fans then, A UJ in pretty much any context in a symbol of Britishness. Nothing wrong with that.

In the context of an SPL match however it is a symbol of divide and is very much a symbol associated with Rangers. Any Motherwell fan feeling the need to take a UJ to Celtic Park should be considering a season ticket at Ibrox next season.

If it was just to wind the Celtic fans up, I'm guessing that you will be taking the Irish flag to Ibrox just to wind them, or does that not float your boat in the same way?

I find Motherwell fans with UJ's embarrassing. It is a free word though so as you please.

• Like 2

I have an ignorance towards our own fans then, A UJ in pretty much any context in a symbol of Britishness. Nothing wrong with that.

In the context of an SPL match however it is a symbol of divide and is very much a symbol associated with Rangers. Any Motherwell fan feeling the need to take a UJ to Celtic Park should be considering a season ticket at Ibrox next season.

If it was just to wind the Celtic fans up, I'm guessing that you will be taking the Irish flag to Ibrox just to wind them, or does that not float your boat in the same way?

I find Motherwell fans with UJ's embarrassing. It is a free word though so as you please.

Woosh

I thought at Dunfermline i heard several "seig heils" being thrown in by the singers at the back,any praise for creating atmosphere goes out the window when nonsense such as this is being chanted,pack it in

Everyone knows the conotations of the "union"flag in this part of the world,we're supposed to be a family club heading towards community ownership.leave the petty minded symbolism to the old firm!

Most OF wind ups are a massive cringe anyway. I've said if folk want a UJ at our games it should be a claret and amber one.

Likes others I applaud the work you boys are doing at the Away games particularly. It is a breath of fresh air, but think the UJ is a mistake even if it is C and A. It gives off the wrong message.

Keep up the good work though!!

I thought at Dunfermline i heard several "seig heils" being thrown in by the singers at the back,any praise for creating atmosphere goes out the window when nonsense such as this is being chanted,pack it in

Everyone knows the conotations of the "union"flag in this part of the world,we're supposed to be a family club heading towards community ownership.leave the petty minded symbolism to the old firm!

We can't go around telling folk not to throw in their wee add ons into songs, I and the other lads do quite literally have better things to do at the football.

Likes others I applaud the work you boys are doing at the Away games particularly. It is a breath of fresh air, but think the UJ is a mistake even if it is C and A. It gives off the wrong message.

Keep up the good work though!!

I do see the point, and as an apolitical group, having something like that gives us tag like that is a bad idea, hence how I've never got the sewing machine out to make it.

If guys want to take the Union Jack to a game then so bet it, personally don't see myself as British or anything at all associated with England and don't like to see my team doing the same. This however is my personal opinion and views. The union Jack and Tri Colour are the colours of the old firm so why shouldn't they have these flags? They're not the colours of any other team in the league, so whats the need to have them on show? ?

:download:

The union Jack and Tri Colour are the colours of the old firm so why shouldn't they have these flags? They're not the colours of any other team in the league, so whats the need to have them on show? ?

Since when did Celtic have any form of orange in them thats on an irish tricolour?!

Anyone like to add anything

"Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to complain about the treatment of Motherwell fans at Saturdays match.

Never before in my life have I felt like a criminal, until Saturday. This was caused by jobsworth Stewards and Police Officers who were on an apparent power trip. A young Motherwell fan was thrown out for making a rude gesture at Celtic fans who were doing the exact same to him. What is the world coming to if you can't wind up opposition fans at a football match. I sincerely doubt that the fan would have been thrown out if he was a Rangers Fan at an Old Firm game. Even on Celtic Fans on the train back to Motherwell agreed that it was harsh and suggested that we make the complaint.

Also when the young fan was thrown out, a number of Motherwell fans walked out in protest to this and the treatment they had received at previous matches. Whilst they were doing this, the home fans began to sing "Go home ya h*ns, go home", a few weeks ago at Fir Park, another Motherwell fan was thrown out by the Police for having a flag which said that same word on it. I believe the phrase is "One rule for one person, a different rule for another."

After the match many Motherwell fans have decided to boycott Celtic Park in protest.

I look forward to hearing your feedback."

I rather fear that any letter to them would likely result than you getting a reply that's already sitting stored somewhere on a hard-drive at Celtic Park or that it'll present them with an ideal opportunity to rhyme off the all the awards their wonderful fans and club have picked up for their behaviour and all the schemes they are signed up to that look good at the footer of a letter.

However if you do decide to write to them, I'd also include the fact they are going to lose your money more than just complaining about the stewards What about something along these lines....

Dear Mr Lawwell,

I write in relation to my visit to Celtic Park on Saturday 10th September, to support my team, Motherwell.

I regret to advise you that as well as being somewhat uncomfortable viewing on the park it proved to be a very unpleasant afternoon off it too, the cause of which I must largely put down to the tactics employed by the stewards and police controlling the visiting section.

It was very apparent that what seemed to be considered a perfectly acceptable way of backing ones team and engaging in the matchday experience by stewards and police on one of side of the segregation cordon was most definitely deemed unacceptable by those patrolling the visiting section.

Similarly the zero-tolerance approach that was used to police the Motherwell support was clearly not in evidence just a few yards away to my right.

Unfortunately such stewarding policies appear to have become the norm on trips to Celtic Park in recent years and I must advise that I am seriously considering joining the bulk of the Motherwell support who will simply no longer countenance a visit to Celtic Park for those very reasons.

I would imagine the prospect of a few Motherwell fans deciding against a visit to Celtic Park might not rank high upon your agenda of concerns but it is worth noting that it isn't so many years ago that rather than two hundred, two thousand travelling Motherwell fans were more the norm when travelling to Parkhead.

I note that around a quarter of the stadium was empty on Saturday and I am sure that even a club the size of Celtic are not in a position to alienate hundreds of supporters who could potentially be filling some of those empty seats through the actions of stewards and police operating on your behalf, thereby costing your club a considerable amount of money.

I would therefore ask that you give serious consideration to altering the stewarding methods employed by those monitoring the visiting section otherwise I very much suspect you will continue to see reduced incomes from smaller and smaller travelling supports.

Yours sincerely

• Like 4

I rather fear that any letter to them would likely result than you getting a reply that's already sitting stored somewhere on a hard-drive at Celtic Park or that it'll present them with an ideal opportunity to rhyme off the all the awards their wonderful fans and club have picked up for their behaviour and all the schemes they are signed up to that look good at the footer of a letter.

However if you do decide to write to them, I'd also include the fact they are going to lose your money more than just complaining about the stewards What about something along these lines....

Dear Mr Lawwell,

I write in relation to my visit to Celtic Park on Saturday 10th September, to support my team, Motherwell.

I regret to advise you that as well as being somewhat uncomfortable viewing on the park it proved to be a very unpleasant afternoon off it too, the cause of which I must largely put down to the tactics employed by the stewards and police controlling the visiting section.

It was very apparent that what seemed to be considered a perfectly acceptable way of backing ones team and engaging in the matchday experience by stewards and police on one of side of the segregation cordon was most definitely deemed unacceptable by those patrolling the visiting section.

Similarly the zero-tolerance approach that was used to police the Motherwell support was clearly not in evidence just a few yards away to my right.

Unfortunately such stewarding policies appear to have become the norm on trips to Celtic Park in recent years and I must advise that I am seriously considering joining the bulk of the Motherwell support who will simply no longer countenance a visit to Celtic Park for those very reasons.

I would imagine the prospect of a few Motherwell fans deciding against a visit to Celtic Park might not rank high upon your agenda of concerns but it is worth noting that it isn't so many years ago that rather than two hundred, two thousand travelling Motherwell fans were more the norm when travelling to Parkhead.

I note that around a quarter of the stadium was empty on Saturday and I am sure that even a club the size of Celtic are not in a position to alienate hundreds of supporters who could potentially be filling some of those empty seats through the actions of stewards and police operating on your behalf, thereby costing your club a considerable amount of money.

I would therefore ask that you give serious consideration to altering the stewarding methods employed by those monitoring the visiting section otherwise I very much suspect you will continue to see reduced incomes from smaller and smaller travelling supports.

Yours sincerely

stop eating dictionarys,

Any letter sent will get the standard reply of "We are unaware of the issues that you mention and will forward your concerns to the appropriate

parties for further investigation" in other words it will be swept under the carpet coz they don't give a shit.

As for the UJ is a British flag so we should use it then why is it never present at any games other than Celtic? We should take our UJ on Saturday & as St johnstone are also a British club they could bring theirs and we can sit and wave Uj's at each other. Hmm that would be so useful wouldn't it? If you feel so strongly that it's a British flag & you should be flying it then fly it every week not just when your playing a "tim team" coz that just makes you look like a sad bigot who's no better than the ones you're trying to wind up. Motherwell flags only for Motherwell please keep the biggoted shite for the bigots.

• Like 2

Have not been to Parkheid for a good ten years,so I cant comment on what has and hasnt happened over the last few visits.

But does anybody actually take time to write to Smeltic and complain about the stewards or to Strathclyde Police and complain about the actions of the officers involved ?????

I hear the cries "It will just get brushed under the carpet",but If you dont complain about the individual stewards/officers they will contiunue getting away with it and continue week after week.

Or dont go..............simples !!!!!:)