Bert Howieson

johnstone

Bert was my second cousin and for years I knew that he had played with Leeds during the time Billy Bremner was in the team. I also knew hs spent a great deal of time with Dundee Utd. But it wasn't until Friday there that I found out he had turned out 69 times for Motherwell as my Uncle had been finding out about him online!

Would of the members on here know anything of his time with Motherwell (pictures etc)?

Here is a wee link that my Uncle found:

Bert

Its quite nice to know a family member once turned out in the Claret and Amber!

Yeah that's right. He then moved to South Africa and played for Durban FC. He lived there for the restof his days.

My mum said she once went round to his house and Bert and Billy bremner were in the kitchen drinking tea!!

Not sure if he was at Motherwell for a couple of years or just 1 but 69 games I would think it would be a couple at least.

According to "The Men Who Made Motherwell Football Club" (Jim Jeffrey and Genge Fry), Bert joined Leeds as a youngster and moved to Tayside in 1960. He played 67 times for Dundee United scoring 6 goals. He then moved to us in 1965 playing 3 league games.

I believe he also played 4 games in the League Cup for us scoring 2 goals in the process ("Well Again" by Graham Barnstaple and Keith Brown) .

Thanks for the feedback guys!

That would make sense about Leeds as Billy Bremner was there from 1959 and Bert in 1960 so both were probably part of the youth setup. So Bert probably never made the first team and has moved on.

So he only played a handful of games for Motherwell then and not the 69 stated on that site. This again makes more sense as no one in the family can remember him turning out for Motherwell and always remember him playing for the Arabs.

I think I have the 'Well Again' book somewhere in the house so I will have a wee look at that tonight.

Ideal that he scored a few too!

This link is to an A-Z of Post War Scottish and English Footballers.

It's in alphabetical order, and it states that Bert Howieson only played 3 times for Motherwell, the player above him in the list, Scott Howie, apparently made 69 appearances so maybe the info was just taken down incorrectly.

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/motherwell/motherwell.htm