Motherwell Vs Hibernian Discussion Thread

David

I think we need to look at the bigger picture since McCall took over. If you consider his time since Christmas his record has been ok but not sparkling. The form for 2011 as a whole is worthy of a mid-table side.

What has inflated our expectations has been the ability for the side to win at crucial times, Dundee, Dundee Utd and St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup been perfect examples of this. The win up at Aberdeen in the league was anoter example of a crucial win at a crucial time. Within this however there has been some howlers. ICT away, Accies away, the post split matches and every OF game of 2011 (League Cup Semi apart).

What has made the recent run so note worthy is that it has kept us top of the league well into September. We will have had equally strong runs at other times in recent years that are not so memorable because they have not resulted in a lofty position in the table.

The point though is that they do seem to be able to pull vital results out of the hat, so I am going for a win tomorrow but equally I think we can expect some poor performances between now and Christmas.

Hibs are really poor this season and there seems to be a lack of desire with them at the moment but Motherwell are always charitable to a wounded soldier. The fright from Saturday will be enough however. The narrowest of victories to the Well.

From the bbc....

Motherwell will remain unchanged for their Scottish Communities League Cup third-round clash with Hibernian.

Boss Stuart McCall will give the same starting line-up the chance to make up for Saturday's 3-0 loss to Kilmarnock.

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall: "There will be no knee-jerk reaction after one poor performance.

"The lads have got us 13 points and a decent position in the league, so hopefully it was just a bad day at the office.

"We had a little chat about the St Johnstone game this morning - I think we were all disappointed and angry, naturally.

"Hibs have a lot of good individuals and attacking options but are going through a sticky spell.

"But it wouldn't have mattered who we were playing tomorrow night, we are looking at ourselves - we will be positive, we want a good cup run again."

Let's hope it was more than a little fucking chat. The 11 players on Saturday were a disgrace to the shirt.

i can see this game going to extra time and if we play and defend like we did on saturday then were crashing out hopefully we get a positive reaction from the players but i have serious doubts about our defence o'connor could easily do us some damage

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall: "There will be no knee-jerk reaction after one poor performance.

Id suggest losing 4-0,4-0 + 3-0 in 3 of our last 4 league games is more than one poor performance, Essentially what he is saying to those 11 players is "do whatever the fuck you like, you will never be out the first team unless your injured or suspended no matter how shite you play" while slapping the fringe guys down even further, if these guys cant get into the team after 3 big pumpings and several abject performances from senior players in the last few weeks then they might as well ask for release and fuck off somewhere they might be allowed to play football.

Im not saying change the full team, we all know how much of a c**t he made of that at the end of last season, but surely giving 2 or 3 fringe players a boost while also giving 2 or 3 "untouchables" a rocket and freshening the team up can only help?

• Like 2

Id suggest losing 4-0,4-0 + 3-0 in 3 of our last 4 league games is more than one poor performance, Essentially what he is saying to those 11 players is "do whatever the fuck you like, you will never be out the first team unless your injured or suspended no matter how shite you play" while slapping the fringe guys down even further, if these guys cant get into the team after 3 big pumpings and several abject performances from senior players in the last few weeks then they might as well ask for release and fuck off somewhere they might be allowed to play football.

Im not saying change the full team, we all know how much of a c**t he made of that at the end of last season, but surely giving 2 or 3 fringe players a boost while also giving 2 or 3 "untouchables" a rocket and freshening the team up can only help?

Judging by McCall's comment re "one poor performance" he's admitting that he's discounting the games against the OF. I do that as a fan as we've been pathetic against them for a while now but to hear the manager basically writing them off is a disgrace as he should be sending out a team to take something out of every single game. Season ticket holders should ask for a refund for the OF games if that's the attitude.

can understand why he will go with the same team, but i am a little dissapointed that others are not given a chance............he made wholesale changes for the Clyde game.........but this game is against an SPL team, so we do need a little more experience. I am beginning to feel a little sorry for Forbes and Carswell - both have come in and done well but are out the team as soon as Las and Jenno are available. Problem is - that area is the spine of the team and those two do a very good job (albeit not in the last few weeks!)

if you are in a MJC mood............then for us to lose tonight and on saturday, a fiver will get you £75!!!!!!

We dont become a pants team over night.

generally i'd agree with you.............but we dont play 3 games in a day

11 goals against and none for is quite alarming, even in the games we've won, we've still made plenty of mistakes, its just that the teams we played weren't good enough or were unlucky not to take their chances.

IF we win tonight, then I agree, maybe be slightly forgotten - but i still feel the team need a kick up the backside and some of the fringe players need to be given a chance

generally i'd agree with you.............but we dont play 3 games in a day

11 goals against and none for is quite alarming, even in the games we've won, we've still made plenty of mistakes, its just that the teams we played weren't good enough or were unlucky not to take their chances.

IF we win tonight, then I agree, maybe be slightly forgotten - but i still feel the team need a kick up the backside and some of the fringe players need to be given a chance

I agree in part with you, yes the whole team needed a rocket after the performance at the weekend, i think we will get a reaction tonight, it might be a chance to change a few players around, but i would also argue that its a chance for the players who underwelmed Saturday to prove themselves. Would like to see Daley play along side Higdon up front, might be an interesting link up.

Before saturdays's result i thought that we would have this game on easy street. Not to sure now though. Still think we will just edge in a win though. 2-1 'Well.

In an odd sort of way Saturday's defeat could turn out to be very reason why do get the committed performance needed to see them off tonight. Any complacency that might have been building up will have been well blown out of the water following the weekend.

Even though we were atrocious on Saturday I expect us to win this one. McCall is taking a bit of a gamble naming the same team as on Saturday but I hope it works out for him, and all of us, and we get a reaction for the guys that let us down so badly a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure we'll keep a clean sheet with our under strength defence (O'Connor is going to be a big danger tonight) but even though we've not been scoring lately I still think we can get two or three tonight. If you breach the Hibs defence once they tend to give away more than one goal - although you can say the same thing about us!

I still believe though that we are a better team than Hibs and losing tonight would be a bit of a moral blow.