Chris Humphrey

Taff

This has nothing to do with today's result (maybe a wee bit)

Does anyone else think the lad has had enough time and chances to prove himself. Lie to yourself as much as you want but the fact of the matter is the guy is shite. <_>

Humphrey is a player who, when in form, can be a genuine match winner. Right now he's most definitely out of form. Unfortunately for us it would seem his good games are the exception rather than the norm but that, of course, is the very reason he is playing at this level.

Humphrey isn't pish at all. He's a winger who isn't in the Premier league or LA Liga. Not gonna have every single ball perfect. He's Not the Best but he does the job when it counts. Who else in our price range could we get?? Daley has just come in but he's 30 and likely to be out of breath by half time with the pace of the game in the SPL. Humphrey should be used from the bench to give the team that little bit extra in a game. For him to play 90 minutes of his best would be impossible considering he has a young child at home, (I think?)

• Like 1

Prob with Humph is he is clearly playing to SMc tactics which means he tucks inside everytime and try's to leave space for Hately to bomb forward.. Thereby he isn't utilising his strengths which is using his pace to get bye a man.

It's frustrating as teams are sussing this out big time at the moment. Plus I personally think he is carrying Hamstring injuries and isn't 100% fit.

When the going gets tough Humphrey hides and that's a fact. I'm not asking or expecting him to be a world beater but I do expect him to put in an honest shift every week and I've yet to see that this season. He time and time again fails to beat his man let alone get a cross into the box. He makes things difficult for our defence and midfield by trying to mark the left back rather than create space for himself and he leaves Hately exposed down the right side time and time again. Yes he can run fast but he can't beat his man, can't cross the ball, can't header the ball, can't tackle and finds it difficult to control the ball, so what exactly does he bring to the team? He's the last man I'd want beside me when you had to rely on someone in a battle. What message does this send out to those on the bench who can't on the park time and time again? Many will say this is singling someone out to blame but I think it's reality. Players are entitled to have off days and poor runs of form but not week in week out.

Very quickly replacing the likes of Dave McCabe, Greg Miller and Andy Roddie as one of the poorest wingers I've seen at Fir Park.

And your mistaking a lack of confidence with a lack of ability. Considering the rough ride some have had over the years from our support which has ruined their confidence ( Fagan, Christie,Forbes to name a few) the fans have been patient with Humphrey for a long long time. A do agree that he lacks confidence but a lot of that has to do with his own ability and also what he's been taught by the Manager. If your quicker than your opposite number and there is space behind him then you kick the ball into space and then run past him. Whether he can't do that because he doesn't have the confidence to do that or the ability to do that is open to debate, but when you can't get the ball under control to allow you to kick the ball past your opponent tells its own story.

Its amazing the amount of our fans who have little or no idea about football. Chris Humphrey on form and played correctly is one of the most devastating and game changing players in the SPL. At the moment a combination of poor tactics from the Manager,suspect fitness and a lack of confidence means he is looking a little ropey but by no means is he terrible or shite!

His crossing isnt 100% perfect, if it was he wouldnt be a Motherwell player! Ive lost count of the amount of times he has skinned his man and whipped a ball across the face of the 6 yard box only to see not 1 single teammate attempt to reach it, followed by the screech of "thats shite humphrey" etc, As a striker, if you see your winger one on one you should be gambling he beats his man and trying to get into a scoring position, not standing there waiting to see what happens. His decision making can be infuriating but again if he made the correct choice every time he wouldnt be playing at Motherwell! He is being asked to play tighter to allow Hateley to overlap which again is hampering his game.

So instead of slagging the guy get behind him and try to understand that its not as simple as skin your man and put a cross over onto your teammates head everytime. Sometimes you have to do whats asked of you by the manager and sometimes things dont work,thats part of supporting a wee team like ours!

• Like 6

Afraid I have to fall into "it's time to give him a rest " category.

I honestly don't think he has done us a turn this season ( apart from maybe Dunfermline)

He just doesn't seem to have any idea where he should be playing at the minute. Maybe that's down to McCalls tactics but it ain't helping us at present.

As soon as Daley came on yesterday and Hammell got the ball behind him he instinctively knew to make a run down the wing and drag his fullback with him. O.K. Hammell didn't make the pass but the defender was then turning and looking to see where other players were.

I think thats what Hmphrey should be doing when Hateley gets the ball. Get off his mark and make a run using his pace to get into the space behind the fullback. Instead he always seem to be standing about 5 yards in front of Hateley waiting for a pass and then has to decide if he is going to run at the fullback or what. Maybe 6 or 7 times out of 10 he won't get the pass but on the other occasions the back is struggling to catch him.

Maybe he isn't fully fit at present if the number of sticky tapes he has on the back of his thighs are any indication. If that is the case then don't play him and give somebody else a chance.

Maybe he will come good on Tuesday night.

Mon the Dossers

Fed up with fans having a go at Humph, it seems to me like some of you guys would rather remember the bad things he does in a game and forget the good things, why, I'm not sure! Agree with Shaka! Humph's not perfect, far from it, however he is a real threat if we play to his strengths. We should be trying to help build his fragile confidence as there is no doubt he can do the business at SPL level, I'm sure he's prove this on a number of occasions! Off the top of my head, the goal at EEP this season, the goal against Aberdeen at FP last season, the assist at Swinecastle for Sutton's goal last season. I'm sure if you were to ask opposition fans the majority of them would rather Humph was sitting on the bench than running at their full back! To mention him in the same breath as Shaun Fagan and/or Andy Roddie is idiotic.

I'm fed up with fans having a go at Fagan and Andy Roddie :doh:

everybody is correct, Humphrey could be a game changer as he has proved, Humpphrey is pish just now as most people are seeing, Humphrey has no confidence and its Mcalls fault for continually playing him for 90 minutes when he's offering around 35-45minutes contribution at most

does he need coaching that we cant offer, after progress he seems to be going backwards, whos faults that?

I don't see anyone saying get rid of him from the club,and I agree he needs support but sometimes the manager has to do his job and change things

Time for one of the other lads to get an hour here and there

Is this the same Humphrey who a couple of weeks ago ripped Dunfermline a new one?

Humphrey has one of the hardest roles in Football and as percentages go he will probably get it wrong more times than he gets it right.

He now has a bit of competition in Daley so maybe that will improve him.

Agree with most on here that when he plays well he is a complete match winner, however, over the past weeks I have saw in stumble over the ball, get it caught in his feet and loss it, not willing to run down the wing (dont know if that is an order from the management) often Tom gets the ball and Humph is standing 10 yards in front of him or inside him... why not knock the ball in behind

Seems like the simple and best effective use of Humphrey has been forgotten about, again not having a go as I do like him but at the moment not doing to good

As expected i would comment on the above, pretty much knew it was coming to be honest, @ some point Saturdays performance was going to be highlighted as a reason why we lost. Humphreys form like most of the attacking players in the team on Saturday was below par nothing more. Murphy has been poor for over a month, Lasley, Jennings, And Higdon also our due some form of responsibility for the lack of cutting edge. I can remember two or three chances that Humphrey created, for Jennings and Higdon off the top of my head that could/should of ended in goals but never. Its football and we have to deal with it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of players and some of the comments are a little harsh to be honest, especially after such an overall poor team effort Saturday afternoon, the Defence Poor, Midfield poor, Higdon poor, everyone less Law would have been disappointed about their performances.

Now is not the time to start berating one player for special attention. Tuesday game is a chance to bounce back to winning ways, i only hope that Humphrey will still recieve support from the fans. McCall sees the players all week in training and must be happy with the effort the players are putting in hence thier starting spots, as mentioned on previous posts, they play to a plan and stick with it.

Dont give up on him or any other players at the club, just support them through what has been a tricky couple of weeks.

Oh and Happy Birthday Humphrey.

• Like 1

As expected i would comment on the above, pretty much knew it was coming to be honest, @ some point Saturdays performance was going to be highlighted as a reason why we lost. Humphreys form like most of the attacking players in the team on Saturday was below par nothing more. Murphy has been poor for over a month, Lasley, Jennings, And Higdon also our due some form of responsibility for the lack of cutting edge. I can remember two or three chances that Humphrey created, for Jennings and Higdon off the top of my head that could/should of ended in goals but never. Its football and we have to deal with it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of players and some of the comments are a little harsh to be honest, especially after such an overall poor team effort Saturday afternoon, the Defence Poor, Midfield poor, Higdon poor, everyone less Law would have been disappointed about their performances.

Now is not the time to start berating one player for special attention. Tuesday game is a chance to bounce back to winning ways, i only hope that Humphrey will still recieve support from the fans. McCall sees the players all week in training and must be happy with the effort the players are putting in hence thier starting spots, as mentioned on previous posts, they play to a plan and stick with it.

Dont give up on him or any other players at the club, just support them through what has been a tricky couple of weeks.

Oh and Happy Birthday Humphrey.

Come on, just say it........... He was pish on Saturday!

;)

Agree with that. Thought he looked a genuine threat for most of it, after looking terrified to get involved in the match on Saturday.

On Saturday I'd play him on one wing with Daley on the other, give Jennings a rest and move Nicky Law into a more central position to help feed off Higdon and give Murphy a hand. A lot of Humphrey's good work is undone by the fact there's nobody there to get on the end of it, with Law arriving from the middle and Daley covering the other flank it should see a huge improvement.

• Like 1