Time For A Change?

wee g

After watching another disappointing performance from a depleted starting 11,is it time for a few changes to the starting 11. McCall stated at the beginning of the season that he would give the boys a chance instead of going out and getting loan signings from England. Well it`s time he trusted some of his boys now! The reserves have not been beaten this year yet, but with McCalls lack of playing subs, none of these guys are getting playing time.

The starting 11 seem to have an attitude that if they do not perform it`s ok, cos they will still be in the starting 11 the next game. (this is starting to do my head in). We started the Clyde game with 6 bench players (Lee Hollis, Jon Page, Jordan Halsman, Bob McHugh, Ross Forbes and Steven Lawless) with Carswell & Smith coming on later and before anyone states that it was only Clyde, i know it was, but all the above have experience out on loan or with their previous club.

We need to give these lads a chance and start playing them. This should make the 1st team squad a lot more competitive and give some so-called 1st team starters a kick up the arse they need.

In my opinion some of these guys are better footballers than we have starting and would also give a lot more to the team than some who are constant starts.

Come on McCall Saturday is the day to start trusting your boys!!!!!

Good post wee g ,i just cant understand that when we have a player who's on a bad run or having an off day that we don't give the younger guys a chance .Forbes Pollock or Carswell in midfield ,Lawless Smith or McHugh up front, Page in defense .We have good youth system at Motherwell producing good players but if your not going to give them a chance whats the point.

Wonder how Forbes felt last night, getting wheeled on for a pen. McCall apparently doesn't trust him to do the business during the game. Imo, we are crying out for him to be given a run in the first team, at the very least he will offer a goal threat and some incisive passing.

I like the look of Carswell and McHugh impresses in flashes. Surely worth some game time with Jennings and Murphy struggling badly. As for Page, he's looked steady anytime I've seen him with the exception of playing left back against Celtic.

For those of you have seen the kids coming through, do Halsman, Pollock, Smith and Lawless have the potential to making it at SPL level? In recent years, boys of their age at Motherwell tend to be well on the way to making an impression by now.

After watching another disappointing performance

This is what I do not understand. What disappointing performance??

Last night Motherwell were 100 times better than on Saturday and we were incredibly lucky not to go through last night, not least an offside goal that was apparently well onside. That and Hibs hit 8 belting penalties which you cannot account for.

If we had a goal poacher we would have been in double figures. That we do not probably has more to do with budget constraints than anything else.

Defensively we were again a little suspect, but it was end to end stuff and our tactics this season are obviously to outscore the opposition. We are committing players forward leaving the defense exposed and thanks to injuries a defence that has a makeshift central defence.

As disappointed as I am with the final outcome I am a LOT happier that we turned it around after the horror show that was last Saturday.

Perhaps wee g you should head to Old Trafford or the Nou Camp if last night was a disappointing performance!

• Like 1

For those of you have seen the kids coming through, do Halsman, Pollock, Smith and Lawless have the potential to making it at SPL level? In recent years, boys of their age at Motherwell tend to be well on the way to making an impression by now.

to me, thats the concerning bit. We have always sold our club that we will give youngsters a chance, and to an extent, you can say we have.........Hutchy, Saunders, Murphy(although he cant be classed as a youngster any more)

what must the other guys be thinking? could this have a detrimental affect in the future?

eg : Motherwell/Hibs/Hearts chase a youngster, they two can offer more money than we can - in the past players may well say, "I aint going to get my chance there, i'll take the Motherwell contract on lesser terms as I will get the chance to showcase my ability, and in turn can earn more money down the line"

My concern is that if we dont give the guys a chance, we are shooting oursleves in the foot. We dont have a lot of money, these guys are the future.

What is Bob McHugh's contract situation???? Surely, if he doesn't get game time this season - he will want to walk. I thought going to PTFC last season wouldve been ideal for him - but red tape and injury totally scuppered that. Did he actually ever appear for us after that?!?

This is what I do not understand. What disappointing performance??

Last night Motherwell were 100 times better than on Saturday and we were incredibly lucky not to go through last night, not least an offside goal that was apparently well onside. That and Hibs hit 8 belting penalties which you cannot account for.

If we had a goal poacher we would have been in double figures. That we do not probably has more to do with budget constraints than anything else.

Defensively we were again a little suspect, but it was end to end stuff and our tactics this season are obviously to outscore the opposition. We are committing players forward leaving the defense exposed and thanks to injuries a defence that has a makeshift central defence.

As disappointed as I am with the final outcome I am a LOT happier that we turned it around after the horror show that was last Saturday.

Perhaps wee g you should head to Old Trafford or the Nou Camp if last night was a disappointing performance!

You are correct in saying that the performance was 100% better than the weekend (would not have been hard), but last night was against a team that are joint last in the SPL with the second worst goals scored record and also the 2nd worst goal difference and have only won 1 game all year. So if you think that was a decent performance & you are happy paying to watch your team be defeated against the 2nd worst team in the SPL, then carry on.

• Like 1

Aye I'll happily pay my money to watch games like that any day of the week.

Divine right? There is none.

Aye Hibs have had I shite start - will it stay that way? Probably not. They've brought in some players that will eventually gel to an extent. you seen that with O'Connor / Griffiths last night.

This superiority complex is just so fuckin wrong.

• Like 1

Aye I'll happily pay my money to watch games like that any day of the week.

Divine right? There is none.

Aye Hibs have had I shite start - will it stay that way? Probably not. They've brought in some players that will eventually gel to an extent. you seen that with O'Connor / Griffiths last night.

This superiority complex is just so fuckin wrong.

I agree with this and the sentiments of the orignal post. Hibs are no mugs, and with the budget to bring in guys like O'Connor and Griffiths (and more during the next window, no doubt) will soon be up amongst the mid-table battlers with the rest of us, fighting for top 6.

I am a little concerned though that McCall did say he would need to blood the youngsters as they would be key as the season progresses. So far, that hasn't really happened.

Of course, you can argue that with the start to the season we have had, there is no reason to mess with the team. Again, last night, while personally I would have swapped a couple of players to freshen things up, asking the team to go and redeem themselves isn't a horrible tactic. However, from what I have seen, there are definitely a couple of players who would benefit from a week or two on the bench, and enough depth to replace them.

It's times like this when managers earn their wages. A few bad results and now it's up to McCall to turn it around for Saturday.

Certainly not as disastrous as some posters are making out - losing a League Cup tie to another SPL side isn't exactly a coupon buster.

I take more positives than negatives from last nights showing. Though how woeful we were at the back is worrying.

I think we need to see Jennings dropped. He looks like a player that has signed on because something better didn't come along and doesn't seem to be bursting a gut to win a better move. We have some options there at least, Forbes could get a shot. Hear he put in solid display at St.Mirren. We could move Law into middle and get both our quick wingers on the park provided Humphrey didn't do any serious damage. Or Carswell who had a few games under his belt could be given a chance in a more like for like switch as he seems to be fill defensive mid role.

The back 4 is the bigger concern. Odd lapses aside reasonably happy with the full backs but as a unit we are terrible and Craigan and Glancy are not doing the business. Now they not played a lot together before, hopefully there is scope for improvement as they play together but both look like bombscares. Craigan to be fair is be put out of his comfort zone playing on the left. We all know he isn't exactly a silky bring out from the back sort but having more often needing to use his left foot and playing in slightly alien position isn't helping him.

If Glancy can play all along the back 4 at the very least get them switched so Craigan at least can hopefully play to his potential. I fear until Hutchison gets back we are in for some frights! Even then the same imbalance with Craigan out of position wasn't great, but it being really exposed now with this current pairing.

Murphy has also been a bit indifferent and that penalty miss was woeful. I think a rest is due and whilst I not totally confident in McHugh I think he deserves a wee run of games alongside Higdon. Think he might do quite well and surprise us.

So Well fans have a superiority complex if we think our team are better than Hibs.

Well i certainly think we are better than most of the teams in the SPL, and that must mean that my superiority complex is huge. thumbup.gif

I think we're the best team in the world.

But when we turn out on the park it's 11 vs 11 and we shouldn't be demanding a victory or the toys go oot the pram like some bunch of overgrown spoiled brats.

Wonder how Forbes felt last night, getting wheeled on for a pen. McCall apparently doesn't trust him to do the business during the game.

He's a professional, he has to deal with it. The amount of sympathy some players get on here is ridiculous.

The player deemed not good enough for Kilmarnock, Tim Clancy is a bombscare. Shock horror.

Kids thrown in are ok when we are up and winning. I appreciate the need to maybe give one or two a chance but I have faith in the Gaffer to have the ability to make these decisions. The game on Saturday will see where we are going this season. As for Jennings to be dropped I don't get it. He is still a great spoiler in my opinion and our troubles are sadly at the back particularly through the middle. Hutchie is a fabulous player and we are missing him big time. Crags was doing well in there when Hutchie was there with his undoubted ability and Crags excellent reading of the game. Murphy will be ok cause he is a smashing player. Just wait, we will score a few on Saturday against that lot and we will all move on to the next game flying again. Has anyone noticed we are still 3rd in the league!!!!!!!! Did anyone see that on the first game of the season.

Why Change? Last Night we out played Hibs only for us to be "Cheated" out of it right at the end. Both teams seem to have pish defences and pish keepers (Randy based on his second half performance. Mark Brown is just pish). When Daley came on, I thought he was just what we needed, his pace was really surprising considering his age. Much the same with McHugh and his goal looked very much onside.

Randy is over-confident. We desperately need Hutch and Saunders back. Our midfield was perfect (Humphrey especially. Inch perfect crosses into the right areas, well blocked 90% of the time). Higdon did well along with Murphy. But I think the subs were too late. Daley came on for a crocked Humph, McHugh for Jennings and Forbes for a pen. Now, when they came on I felt full of confidence but we just never had enough time to do anything. Our bench has nothing to improve the team. Could see Daley starting on Saturday though as humph was injured from being chopped in the first half. Forbes should have come on for Murphy though. I have never had confidence in him to take a pen and as soon as he stepped up, I turned by back in the cooper. Same with Law.

The initial poster is absolutely right. When guys like Page etc see someone like Tim Clancy getting a game in front of them. They must wonder if they have a future at Motherwell, because if they aren't any better than him, they shouldn't be here.

agreed page shouldve had a chance to play in the team before clancy

Agree with the OP, it feels like some of the first 11 guys are strolling now as they know fine well no matter how shite they are they wont be dropped, while the youngsters who are champing at the bit look on knowing no matter how shite they are,the first 11 wont be getting dropped. Ok last night we were unlucky but the fact is Hibs have had 1 win all year,are struggling and not scoring many goals so I do feel at the moment we should be beating them,

Bradford fans came on here when McCall was appointed and said, if his top 11 are doing well he`s ok but he has no clue and doesnt change it if they aint performing and this is proving the case. He made a c**t of the end of the season, a c**t of the cup final and his signing policy for someone appointed for his "significant lower league contacts" amount to 2 players who used to play for him and Higdon, oh aye and a crap Killie reserve. Stuart McCall really needs to step up here and earn his corn before we end up in some real shite! We are a small club who need to sell to survive, we simply cannot afford to have players coasting and youngsters rotting

Another thing is losing last night could mean we lose ANOTHER 2 or 3 players from the 1st team budget next season as making the semis (along with top 6 + scot cup final) last year STILL saw our squad shrink this summer.

• Like 1

Fantastic post lads,

I would like to see wee Pollock get more of a game. Always thought

Pollock deserves a chance from what i've seen from him, also is he not the only genuine left footed winger we have?

Would love to see more younger guys coming through like Carswell

Keef is now 32 today i hope to see a bit more of Cars or Forbes later this season and give the old man a few rests every so often

Fantastic post lads,

Pollock deserves a chance from what i've seen from him, also is he not the only genuine left footed winger we have?

I'll be honest and say I forgot he was even here. I heard he was meant to be the next big thing but apart from two sub appearances against Celtic don't think I've seen him play. He's not even been making the bench and seems to have fallen behind Lawless in the pecking order. Is he not nearly 20? I'm sure he was only given a new 1 year deal in the summer so I can't imagine the club expect him to make too much of an impact.

Fantastic post lads,

Would love to see more younger guys coming through like Carswell

Keef is now 32 today i hope to see a bit more of Cars or Forbes later this season and give the old man a few rests every so often

32. Old man? Come on. I've heard people moaning that Daley is 30. It appears the minute a player leaves his 20's some think it is time for him to be rotated from the team. Keith is not at this point and his age really shouldn't be directly linked to (when it occurs) bad form.