If Carlsberg Did Football Fans...

David

The atmosphere at games isn't what it used to be (although the boys at the end are doing their best), in fact it's down right rubbish. My favourite game of last season was the Dundee Utd cup replay. In fact that could be in my "top games ever" in terms of performance also, but also because the atmosphere was great. I thought Saturdays atmosphere was kinda weird, and not in a good way. Perhaps the crowd were all still a bit miffed at the awful performance against St Johnstone the previous Saturday? And were still smarting from the Hibs game during the week? (which you could also argue we didn't technically lose?) It was a shit game on Saturday and we didn't play well, but we won, got it up Auld Judas and are sitting 4 points clear in 3rd so surely we should be absolutely bloody delighted at how thing are progressing? Apparently not...

I think the Higdon and Jutkiewicz comparisons are way of the mark. The Juke may have took 3,4, 5, even 6 games to settle but after that it was pretty clear we had a player on our hands. Higdon is going to divide a lot of fans I think/fear. I don't think it's too excessive to shout or exclaim in frustration "oh for fuck sake" when a player makes an arse of what appears to be an easy pass etc..

Anyway, I quite often shout "C'mon the 'Well" or "Heads up" or encourage a Motherwell player who may be taking a throw in near us. I also have been known to utter "For Fuck Sake Motherwell" from time to time I admit and I miss singing and/or giving absolute dogs abuse to the opposition but most people around me sit in complete silence.

I do fear what the crowd may become like though if we do go on a really wretched run. We are, and have been, living in pretty good times, and for a quite a few seasons now.

Great post Milo. Pretty much sums up my opinion in the whole issue.

I think the Higdon and Jutkiewicz comparisons are way of the mark. The Juke may have took 3,4, 5, even 6 games to settle but after that it was pretty clear we had a player on our hands.

Not to all the posters who were on here moaning about how unfit he was, and unable to trap a bag of sand.

Same thing when Porter joined - unfit, yard off the pace, no touch etc. etc.

Just got home from the Aberdeen game, and have to say that I'm seriously getting sick & tired with the moaning-faced c*nts that sit in the east stand.

I've heard the much-used "greatest fans in the world" slogan that Celtic fans like to throw around when talking about themselves, but I'm really starting to wonder if we should be branding certain sections of our support as the exact opposite.

In fact, the use of the word support perhaps shouldn't apply to these people. If we look up the term in the dictionary it reads as follows;

Now, entry number five is what should apply at Motherwell games, but going by recent reactions to the likes of Tim Clancy, Chris Humphrey, Stephen Craigan & Michael Higdon I think the last thing these people can call themselves is supporters.

It's no secret that the last few games haven't been our best. The above-mentioned players haven't exactly been firing on all cylinders (especially Higdon & Craigan). This is where the paying punter in the crowd comes into his own, right? When the players aren't on top of their game we step in and offer support (there's that word again) and encouragement to get them back on track?

Do we f*ck. If a player has the sheer audacity to play a couple of stinkers we get right on their cases.

Take today, for example. The ball gets played to Higdon after 4 minutes and he chests it down, turns and misplaces a pass. Uproar from the "fans" in the middle of the east stand.

The tone was set for the rest of the match right there & then.

It also appears that the team have the sheer cheek to retain possession when we have the ball. If there isn't a pass on going forward they do the unthinkable and play the ball backwards, looking to reset and move forward again.

A fucking disgrace!

Get it lumped forward so we can all moan like fuck when Higdon either doesn't jump for it or mis-controls it after taking it down!

One incident at around the 75th minute summed things up for me when Hately played the ball down the flank looking for Daley, only for the pass to get intercepted. The middle section of the east rose and fired the kind of abuse that should be reserved for a near-side throw in by Kyle Lafferty or Scott Brown.

Hately turned to the crowd with a look on his face like "what the fuck?!? Aren't you guys supposed to be supporting us?!?!"

If it wasn't for the boys up the far end of the stand I think the team would be hard pressed to get any support from the east.

If this is how we react when we're sitting 3rd in the table, four points clear of Hearts and two behind Celtic I'd hate to see us if we were fighting relegation.

Fucking disgraceful.

Well said.

I'll go and watch any club playing at home if i get the chance (bar Rangers/Celtic) been to games at Accies, Falkirk, Stenny, East Fife, Albion, Thistle etc when Motherwell haven't been involved, not to mention just about every junior ground in the west of Scotland and a fair share of grounds down south and i can honestly say iv seldom seen anything like some of the fannies that you'll find in the middle three sections of the East Stand at Fir Park. Some of the pish spouted at times is unreal, its got to the point now where as much as i like being up close to the pitch in the East, iv moved across to the Main Stand, partly for the better view and because i no longer have a season ticket but also there's less of these manic wife-beaters. In saying this, there was some mongo a few rows behind me on Saturday in the main stand, Higdon brings the ball down and then tries to hold it up for support and was crowded out, he stands up and roars at the top of his lungs, "Fuck off Higdon, your fucking shite!! Useless c**t!!", i mean, for fucks sake. Iv seen players having games a million times worse than him on Saturday but have never seen a full section of a stand get to their feet to roar abuse at them for a poor touch. Well done to the boys at the end of the stand though, hopefully they can drown out these miserable old c***s.

• Like 1

I did. But I'm sitting down so I'm feeling too negative to provide a balanced response.

Ok, I'll translate for the daft.

Before seats you had the choir in the middle at the fence, very vocal, very supportive and slaughtered opposition teams and fans alike, choir now gone, in it's place a shower of folk who think the are entitled to slaughter our own players. Why are they there and not the choir? The seating in the East stand having reserved seats.

I didn't say that sitting down caused folk to moan, I said the seating makes the moaning easily heard.

If you sit in the Cooper Stand and look over at the East Stand when a "shocking" decision has been made, it looks like hundreds of greetin faced weans taking up their first badminton lesson......

Me personally have no time for the majority of motherwell fans and when i go to games now, i sit in the quietest, most family friendly places in the ground as the support sometimes towards the team is dire!! We as a club, as Jamie Murphy said in the paper, should all be wanting the same things and moving in the same direction with players and fans alike - trusting the decisions of the manager Stuart McCall.

Get in that McHugh scored... Great sub, Great prospect and we are a great club.... Lets get behind the gaffer, players and each other, otherwise we will wilt away and finish bottom 6 and loose our top players because nobody likes being shrouded by negativity.

Edited by Cakes

If you sit in the Cooper Stand and look over at the East Stand when a "shocking" decision has been made, it looks like hundreds of greetin faced weans taking up their first badminton lesson......

Me personally have no time for the majority of motherwell fans and when i go to games now, i sit in the quietest, most family friendly places in the ground as the support sometimes towards the team is dire!! We as a club, as Jamie Murphy said in the paper, should all be wanting the same things and moving in the same direction with players and fans alike - trusting the decisions of the manager Stuart McCall.

Get in that McHugh scored... Great sub, Great prospect and we are a great club.... Lets get behind the gaffer, players and each other, otherwise we will wilt away and finish bottom 6 and loose our top players because nobody likes being shrouded by negativity

Stop whispering

I edited it because it was so small that it was a nuisance to read (it was in superscript). I didn't amend it in fatcalf's quote so that it was clear what he was referring to and also the reason for me leaving the "edit by" line, which I don't normally do for housekeeping edits.

But aye, it's as SD said.

Aye but even though we've gone to great length to eloquently defend our right not to be happy clappy we've never really had anyone give us a concrete answer on what behaviour like yesterday actually achieves.

it makes it pretty clear to the player in question that his performance isn't up to scratch. at any level of football there are players and managers who believe that they never do anything wrong. look at mr levein with the 4-6-0 or own manager after the cup final, some people have zero self awareness.

it also hopefully speeds the situation to the 'ship up or ship out stage' significantly shortening the doing the same thing over and over expecting different results stage. thumbs up for shaun fagan didn't work out well did it?

what did the malpas out 'campaign' achieve? let me see.... 3rd place, great football, 3 euro qualifications and a cup final. if the fans had been happy clappy for malpas we'd probably be the 1st division just now. part of being a fan is giving the club a boot in the arse when standards slip.

• Like 2