Jamie Murphy - What Is His Best Position?

weesacs

as it says on the tin and do we have to change our formation to suit him? should we?

me personally, I'm really not sure although I have become a little frustrated with his recent performances.

i think his style of play suits a 433 (mcghee style) - he likes to drop off, get the ball and run at defenders. but by still adapting this style of play when we play 4411 then it leaves Higdon isolated and renders us pretty useless in attack

some are calling for him to be dropped or are calling for a partnership of Higdon/McHugh and I can see the benefits there, but it also screams out lack of creativity. Putting more onus on Law and Humphrey.

Higdon isn't going to be a success with us if he plays up top on his own (much like Sutty was not going to be a success as a left midfielder under Paw Broon) and we are not going to get the money we want for Murphy if he is continually plays like he is just now. he undoubtedly has talent - we're just not seeing the best of it just now

what do we change? should we change? Afterall, we are still 3rd in the league!!!!!!!

• Like 2

i dont think murphys a striker his best position for me is coming of the left but i also think we need two up top to get the best out of murph which means moving law inside and dropping jennings or lasley.

You've got in one.

To answer the original question in 3 words - wide left midfield.

Is it fair to say transfer talk unsettled him? [/devil's advocate]

It may have had some effect Haggis, but its hard to quantify. Being played out of position certainly isn't helping his game though. Once again last Saturday he had a roving role and was popping up all over the place. It does make life difficult for colleagues like Michael Higdon, Nicky Law and Stevie Hammell though. On a few occasions at Tannadice these lads played seemingly poor passes to him but in reality it was because they couldn't predict with any degree of certainty where he would go/what he would do.

• 2 months later...

Recent discussion about Murphy and where (or if) we should play him reminded me of this thread.

Personally, I'm torn about actually dropping him to the bench for a good few games, using him as an impact player of sorts and giving someone like McHugh a chance to prove himself up front. Another part of me wants to see what Ya Bezzer suggested in the Dunfermline thread, with Murphy playing and Law dropped.

It's a bit of a toughie to be honest.

How do you solve a problem like Jamie?

Murphy has suffered from a few seasons fucking about between managers and I genuinely now think that no-one (including him) actually knows what his best position is. Even in times when he looks as if he's been instructed to go out and play through the middle he seems to drift wide and / or deep far too easily.

If pushed I'd be inclined to say wide left unfortunately - as he'd be far more effective and valuable to us if he had developed into an out and out centre forward.

Drop Law before him - absolutely no way. Law creates much more across an entire 90 mins. Recently Jamie has only being showing wee flashes her and there.

Another problem that I think needs addressed is his physique, and I know sometimes it's really difficult for some guys to do. But for him to move to the Championship or lower level EPL I think he need to bulk up a wee bit. I'd imagine someone's looking at that right now - they must be, musnt they? I mean how do the EPL guys bulk up their whippets.

Like we've spoken about on many occasions - we need to breadthen the experience in our squad and I think Jamie would benefit from McHugh being allowed to burden himself with some of the pressure of getting our goals.

I think Jamie is in a bit of a trough form wise - doing a bit of a Clarkson and he's needing a bit of assistance from the management to get himself through it and get his confidence levels - for the benefit of himself - and the team.

Oh and can I add - I think he need to be more positive with his runs. The amount of times that he's been uncertain and checked back to miss out on a forward pass has been un-be-lieva-ble.

we were having this debate two seasons ago when gannon was here.

the answer is still the same. he needs to be playing through the centre, he is wasted out wide left. none of the goals he's scored this season have came from the left hand side, all of them have been when's he's playing inside. having him chasing fullbacks up and down the park all day as he was at pittodrie and tynecastle is madness.

his best performances for us and for scotland u21s were playing through the middle as a centreforward. we are devaluing our best asset on a weekly basis by playing him out of position to accomodate to players - law and higdon - who are completely incapable of playing the roles mccall wants them to.

Jamie Murphy's position has nothing to do with Michael Higdon

Law is behind Davis and Templeton and equal with Stokes on SPL assists - I'd imagine that's what he's been told to do.

I think there are good points in there steelboy - but I cant understand the terms you go on about our players - our top scorer and our top 'assister'

Right now the person that's doing the most devaluing of Jamie Murphy - much as I love the guy - is Jamie Murphy

• Like 2

i'm just going on what i've seen.

the majority of law's assists have came from him in wide positions. he has been very poor playing behind the striker and was like a man down on saturday. why does mccall have to try and turn him into something he's not? the guy either won't shoot or can't shoot to save his life yet we're playing him behind the striker, it makes no sense.

higdon is only useful if we're playing well. if we're not giving him service then he's as well not being there. on saturday we were crying out for someone to chase a lost cause and make something out it a la skippy, clarky or the juke but it was never going to happen. to only have one centre forward in your squad is careless, but when he can't run, jump or hold the ball up then it's a bit worse than that. he also needs to stop commiting as many fouls 53 commitied only 18 won, that's dire.

out the 9 goals he's scored there has only been where he didn't finish it first time and that only went in due a goalie error. he can't create his own chances. defenders must love playing against him, webster and zaliukas had cigars out on saturday. he's like a much shitter version of kris boyd.

murphy's situation right now reminds me of john sutton 12 months ago. played out of position, dropped and subbed but still contributing more than most. play him in the correct position and we'll get the best out of him.

When has he ever filled in for Hammell?

Seriously?

maybe not filling in for hammell but on saturday and partcularly at pittodrie and st mirren park he spent more time marking the opposition full back than attacking them.

playing one man up front who is no threat to get in behind the the oppostion defenders gives them licensce to push their full backs right up the park. at one point on saturday we had a line of 6 across the back when hearts had the ball on the halfway line.

Every player is given a job by McCall and they're sent out to do that job.

How they do from there on in is down to them.

Jamie Murphy should be measured on what he does when he has the ball - and he sees plenty of it. We can't blame Law and Higdon just because 'one of our own' has lost their way a wee bit.

Jamie will get himself back in amongst it and that will be down to him and McCall. Not those big bad incomers Law and Higdon.

Jamie Murphy should be measured on what he does when he has the ball - and he sees plenty of it. We can't blame Law and Higdon just because 'one of our own' has lost their way a wee bit.

Jamie will get himself back in amongst it and that will be down to him and McCall. Not those big bad incomers Law and Higdon.

i blame the manager.

he'll score more up front than out wide so get him up front.

maybe not filling in for hammell but on saturday and partcularly at pittodrie and st mirren park he spent more time marking the opposition full back than attacking them

Could this be because it was him that give the ball away + he was tracking back?

I keep hoping his recent performances have all been part of some bigger plan to stop him getting sold but just now I couldn't care less if he did go.