Jamie Murphy - What Is His Best Position?

weesacs

We only really have two players who can score goals in the squad and one of them is isolated on his own up front with no one to play off and the other is playing deeper and deeper down the left with every passing week.

We obviously play the defending/counter attacking thing well away from home but our home record of 7 goals in 9 league matches is the worst in the entire SPL. McCall needs to change his philosophy and be a bit more positive in the way he sets up the team at home.

I don't know how folk can view his best position as wide left.

He needs license to focus on going forward as opposed to filling in for hammell time after time.

Presumably its Jamie Murphy we're talking about and not Nick Law. I view his best position as being wide left as he was at his most dangerous last season when cutting in at speed from the left wing. However this season he's playing far too deep and unable to make those runs. Your comment about him playing behind Steve Hammell may be tongue in cheek but there's some truth in that. In the St Mirren game he twice popped up behind Stevie at the back when we were crying out for him to be attacking the Saints full back 50 metres further up the pitch. By no means the only time this has happened. In my view he simply doesn't have the physique to be playing through the middle.

McCall needs to change his philosophy and be a bit more positive in the way he sets up the team at home.

I agree 100%. Our tactics work well away from home. We have that part of our game down perfectly pretty much, but we need to be a bit more attacking at home, especially against teams from lower down the table who will be coming with the intention of taking a point.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, dropped points against the likes of Kilmarnock & St Mirren (and maybe Dunfermline after tomorrow) will end up costing us 3rd spot in the league.

I agree 100%. Our tactics work well away from home. We have that part of our game down perfectly pretty much, but we need to be a bit more attacking at home, especially against teams from lower down the table who will be coming with the intention of taking a point.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, dropped points against the likes of Kilmarnock & St Mirren (and maybe Dunfermline after tomorrow) will end up costing us 3rd spot in the league.

The team is set up to counterattack which works well away from home as we all agree. It does not work well at home as we fail to turn pressure into goal attempts. Are we a one trick pony?

Dropped home points willl cost us - I entirely agree. Although our squad is very limited size wise, I'm sure there's scope to change it a bit.

Given Dunfermline's goalkeeping problems I'd lime to think we'll test out Smith early on with a range of threats - crosses, shots, one on ones. However our record this season of testing opposing keepers out is not impressive.

Nothing tongue in cheek about murphy filling in for hammell. Maybe the wrong phrase but he spends a significant chunk of his game tracking back, clearly under instruction.

While he lacks strength, centre forward is his natural game. His pace and movement should be enough to get the better of most spl centre halves. When he gets his move, he'll no doubt bulk up in a similar fashion to the likes of s fletch and naismith.

Taking more chances at goal should be the aim of Jamie and a few others in the team regardless of position played. You can play any formation you want but if you don't shoot you don't score. Our 'problem' at home and away sometimes seems to be our desire to want to score from 8 yards or less.

I want to see Murphy, Law, Jennings, Hughes etc. hit more shots and test opposition keepers.

• Like 3

Taking more chances at goal should be the aim of Jamie and a few others in the team regardless of position played. You can play any formation you want but if you don't shoot you don't score. Our 'problem' at home and away sometimes seems to be our desire to want to score from 8 yards or less.

I want to see Murphy, Law, Jennings, Hughes etc. hit more shots and test opposition keepers.

I agree hear hear

agreed mate id like to see us have more shots at goal especially playing at home when were struggling to break teams down