Scottish Cup 1977 - Willie Mcleans Butchers

shull

150 coaches, you have to be joking.

Christ, it's like Seville on that thread, the numbers ranging from 10,000 to 18,000 and now 25,000 :mellow:

Must be some good smack on the go in Paisley tonight.

At the time, it was said there was officially 144 Coaches and our support was around 14000.

The attendance that day was never bettered since, while Fir Park had terracings.

We had 16500 in the previous round v The Arabs and most of them went tae Fir Park and watched us get butchered and cheated.

I dont understand where this hatred of Motherwell really comes from. I may be giving the average st mirren fan credit her but surely they dont hold a grudge about one game that was over thirty years ago? :lol:

Pie and Bovril is difficult enough reading without trawling through their board. I try and not look through game with my claret and amber tinted specs on, however our modern team are hardly cheats. I think there is a falkirk and St Mirren love in on P&B as falkirk are still bitter because they didnt come up when we SHOULD have got relegated. Understandibly so. However, what the average fan with a two bit opinion forgets is, that this has heehaw to do with Motherwell. If you ask any fan on this board or you meet in the street will tell you, we deserved to get relegated that year. As for the under soil heating issue, as far as im aware we are going to get cained for it.

St Mirren are a team who i don't feel any sort of hatred for, and I was glad to be there at the closing of love street as i genuinely felt for their supporters, and I'm dreading when we will all have to do the same. It is a pitty some people can't look at the bigger picture.

by the way this wee rant is by no means aimed at the chap that initially posted on here....ya junkie bastard :mellow::lol:

Sad, Bitter and Twisted - even after all these years- Fergie thought he had nothing to do but roll into town, mix it with the 'Big Boys' and move on to the next round. Millar and McLaren soon sorted that out. 'Hard Men' yes but dirty - no :mellow: - It wasn't the Paisley Panda's that day it was the Paisley Pansies.

Poor Fergie bleated about it for weeks, how his poor wee lambs got kicked out of the Scottish Cup - they shat it good and proper.

Might need to return that 'Seville' calculator - the batteries are obviously in need of replacement - huge away support that day, wouldn't surprise me if there were around 150 buses that day - but the split was closer to 50/50. Great cup-tie and what an atmosphere, I remember Doug Baillie's opening line in the Sunday Post the following day, " As the Gladiators entered the Arena, the roar that greeted them could be heard at Glasgow Cross" never was one for exagerration was old Doug :lol: .

Poor Fergie bleated about it for weeks,

He did indeed and that was before the game.

Even in those days he pressurised referees and indulged in all sorts of cons and tricks. St Mirren were well able to look after themselves - they could dish it out but couldn't take it. Typical Fergie approach.

I was at the game. Had to stand on the track just in front of where the ambulance men are now......used to be a wooden pole across where there was a break in the wall. My dad always had me standing in the away end in those days as we walked down from Netherton. I was only 7 so don't remember much other than greetin' smack heids walking away from the game.

I got my motor tanned at the last cup game in Paisley so I hope someone repays the compliment to them on Saturday :mellow:

So, in short, Motherwell played to their strengths, we couldn´t handle their game plan and Well picked up a deserved victory?

Put it down to lack of experience from the manager?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

:mellow: I would agree with that

After all these years the buddies are still hurting......Magic

The crowd was amazing that day, Fir Park was jam packed and could possibly have been a lot more than the 27 thousand offficial attendance

We are still hurting after the travesty of that game.

It needs to be exorcised on Saturday with a thumping win for us, The Paisley Buddies. :lol:

Do any of you remember the '77 Match ?

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/in...=25544&st=0

You know what? I reckon even if you won 5-0 on Saturday, it still wouldn't erase the obvious pain and heartache of that game in '77, going by some of the remarks from some of the numpties on that link. "Aw we thumped the Arabs, we played pure blindin fitba that season an we went there tae win and they nasty big Cheats wouldny let us play oor nice tippy tappy stuff cos they wir too rough and bullied us and ended up knockin, sorry, cheatin us oot the cup, sob sob sob sob..."

You beat us 3-0 a few years back in the Cup and that obviously hasn't numbed the pain for some St.Midden fans, so I doubt a win for you on Saturday would change things.

I'd love to see us winning 1-0 with a dodgy penalty in the last minute after reading that forum.

Get a grip for Christ's sake :mellow:

The attendance that day was never bettered since, while Fir Park had terracings.

This was the last game before a new maximum attendance was imposed for safety reasons, and since it was close to, if not bang on, a full house that day, it made it impossible to better it afterwards.

My wee brother was the mascot that day, the team got in their faces and put them in their place when they thought they just had to turn up and show us how much better they were than us, and it turned out a most excellent day.

Incidentally, games against St Mirren in the 70s/80s always seemed to be kicking matches more than any other fixture, with both sides fully participating, not just this game.

one of the funniest games I can ever remember as a well fan. ;)

Fergie and crew had been playing really well in the first division and were coming to the 'ark full of themselves( a bit like what happenned to us in the 6-1 drubbing at dundee utd in the 80s :P ) and how they were going to beat us easily.

A massive crowd for both teams, first 50-50 full house I can remember and a great atmosphere.

Yep we came out and treated the young st midden team to some adult football instead of standing back and admiring their pretty style. Laughed all the way home on the bus after that one as they simply couldnt handle our "physical" style.

its even funnier to realise they still bleat on about it to this day :P

I was at that game too and KMcAlpine is quite right, Willie McLean just outdid Fergie at his own game.

If St. Mirren fans really want to moan about something from that era of their club, I suggest they start with their board for getting rid of Ferguson and allowing Aberdeen to snap him up and see him turn their club into the success that it was, that could easily have been St. Mirrens glory had their board had any balls.

I was at that game too and KMcAlpine is quite right, Willie McLean just outdid Fergie at his own game.

If St. Mirren fans really want to moan about something from that era of their club, I suggest they start with their board for getting rid of Ferguson and allowing Aberdeen to snap him up and see him turn their club into the success that it was, that could easily have been St. Mirrens glory had their board had any balls.

Did he not get punted because he was dipping the petty cash (allegedly) or was that East Stirling?

Whilst it is very amusing to read the ramblings of the Saints fans, we have games from years back that we look back on and feel cheated too, the best example of which was the 1976 Scottish Cup semi against THEM, when our 2-0 lead was eroded due to cheating from both THEM and ref JPR Gordon.

That thread is comedy gold. What a truly sad deluded bunch. An 18,000 travelling support!?!?! Brilliant. "the largest away support ever seen at Fir Park". Even better. Has that been proven?

I have long detested St Mirren for the simple reason I've encountered several near skirmishes outside and going to and from Love Street over the years for absolutely no reason whatsoever and it would give me no end of pleasure to knock them out the cup and see them go back from whence they came at the end of the season also.

Anyway, didn't they get their revenge a few years ago when they gubbed us 3-0? They were still in the 1st Division, and by our standards, had a no too bad season that year.

The way my older Motherwell supporting relatives tell that cup tie from '77 is "it was men agaisnt boys".

I canny say i bother too much with the likes of stmirren, hamilton, falkirk etc. I wouldnt say motherwell have a 50:50 rivalry with any team these days. Airdrie are so far out the picture its hard to say that theres much left between both teams. I think, for me though, airdrie would be the closest we have to any sort of balanced rivalry.

The bitterness on that stmirren thread towards us is unbelievable. I have read p&b before and there does seem to be a love in between them and falkirk, but I dont think many well fans take notice of this.

If my memory serves me right the official crowd was given at 26 thousand odd, and people at the time said that the 'real' crowd that day was nudging 30 thousand.

St Mirren brought a huge support that day, it wouldnt be far off the mark to say that the crowd that day was split 50/50, it was by far the biggest away support (outwith the old firm before live TV) that I can remember in FP.

Younger folk on here might scorn at such a thought but it did happen.

I know cos I was there, as a chap famous around the time of the match once said.