Jenno Betting Irregularities

Kris-A-Goalda

According to Scott Burns in the Express the S.F.A have banned Jennings until this is resolved which could mean he is out till January at least.

By Scott Burns

MOTHERWELL will be blocked from fielding Stevie Jennings until the police and Gambling Commission complete their investigations into his Fir Park red card.

The midfielder was arrested yesterday as police and betting chiefs continue their enquiries into the illegal betting frenzy that saw punters cash-in after he was sent off against Hearts in an SPL fixture back in December last year.

The betting commission asked Motherwell not to play the 26 year old until they had closed the case but the club refused claiming there had been no evidence to suggest that the former Tranmere player was involved in any way.

Now however the Scottish Football Association have stepped in to insist that Jennings isn't involved in matches for the club until the matter is cleared up.

The move could be a major blow to manager Stuart McCall if the issue is not resolved swiftly as Jennings has been a big player in helping Motherwell rise to second place in the SPL

Tell them to chase themselves, they can't even put fair referees on a park so they have no right interfering in our team selection until Jenno has been proven guilty. I very much doubt that will happen therefore we could conceivably lose the services of an important player on someone else's say so. Innocent until proven guilty not apply to the SFA? They can't even see what's in front of them, Gary O'Connor for example.

Tell them to chase themselves, they can't even put fair referees on a park so they have no right interfering in our team selection until Jenno has been proven guilty. I very much doubt that will happen therefore we could conceivably lose the services of an important player on someone else's say so. Innocent until proven guilty not apply to the SFA? They can't even see what's in front of them, Gary O'Connor for example.

Seconded. What would happen if this "ban" on us fielding him is applied, runs for many months (thus depriving us of his services long term) and then charges are not pursued or he was found not guilty? I think we and the player would have a very strong case for compensation against the SFA. We're not Celtic though.

Innocent until proven guilty.

• Like 1

I guess it is due to nature of the offence but the SFA can pay his wages then if we can't pick him.

They happy for people with rape and assualt charges hanging over them to play, not to mention someone convicted of grooming teenage girls!

Now I get Jennings alleged crime gets at the game itself but it is his own team that is the one that runs the risk of suffering from his alleged actions and no one else so it should be up to us to decide if we want to take the risk of playing him and no one else!

I guess it is due to nature of the offence but the SFA can pay his wages then if we can't pick him.

They happy for people with rape and assualt charges hanging over them to play, not to mention someone convicted of grooming teenage girls!

Now I get Jennings alleged crime gets at the game itself but it is his own team that is the one that runs the risk of suffering from his alleged actions and no one else so it should be up to us to decide if we want to take the risk of playing him and no one else!

what he said

Exactly. The SFA's behaviour is outrageous. Bit of perspective needed. Surely any player being charged with any sort of illegal activity is bringing the game into disrepute? Just another example of the SFA's complete lack of consistency.

The first thing that should happen is that betting companies should be stopped from collecting stakes from spot bets. Spot betting on football should be suspended until this investigation is concluded.

The next thing should be for lawyers to compile a list of players allowed to play while criminal proceedings are pending, closely followed by unearthing footage of players screaming obsceneties at refs and manhandling them (this could be quite easy - I could point to 4/5 games involving the same two teams)

The next thing should be for Steve Jennings acting skills to be recognised - because if you watch the chain of events for the red and come to the conclusion that a player deliberately got himself sent off then your a better man than I.

I imagine the police have other surveillance stuff that points the finger at the group involved so I imagine it will be a difficult time for Jenno. You would hope so anyway - whats been divulged so far looks paper thin.

The time and resources that this has taken beggars belief (especially considering the pittances that have been reportedly involved).

I wish Jenno all the best whatever way this swings. I don't know nowt - however I genuinely think it's cobbled together pish. If he's involved then he's just been an idiot - I'm not gonna condemn the guy though.

All the best Steve.

The first thing that should happen is that betting companies should be stopped from collecting stakes from spot bets. Spot betting on football should be suspended until this investigation is concluded.

The next thing should be for lawyers to compile a list of players allowed to play while criminal proceedings are pending, closely followed by unearthing footage of players screaming obsceneties at refs and manhandling them (this could be quite easy - I could point to 4/5 games involving the same two teams)

The next thing should be for Steve Jennings acting skills to be recognised - because if you watch the chain of events for the red and come to the conclusion that a player deliberately got himself sent off then your a better man than I.

I imagine the police have other surveillance stuff that points the finger at the group involved so I imagine it will be a difficult time for Jenno. You would hope so anyway - whats been divulged so far looks paper thin.

The time and resources that this has taken beggars belief (especially considering the pittances that have been reportedly involved).

I wish Jenno all the best whatever way this swings. I don't know nowt - however I genuinely think it's cobbled together pish. If he's involved then he's just been an idiot - I'm not gonna condemn the guy though.

All the best Steve.

The thing is have they arrested him on the basis of his 'on-field' connection to this or do they have evidence that he is involved in some other way?

If its the latter then I agree with you as I would say from watching the footage that the ref is more guilty than Jennings.

The thing is have they arrested him on the basis of his 'on-field' connection to this or do they have evidence that he is involved in some other way?

If its the latter then I agree with you as I would say from watching the footage that the ref is more guilty than Jennings.

I would think they believe they've cobbled together enough of a case and have questioned him to try and trip him up if he is indeed hiding something. Very much doubt they'll find anything but I agree, if they want evidence watch the video, there's yer main suspect right there wi' the card in his hand.

Going by Shellic's actions last year we should have followed suit cos O'Reilly clearly lied, he said Jenno was dismissed for abusive language but the pictures clearly show him reaching for his card the minute Jenno touches him. Precedents and all that, know.

• Like 1

Seconded. What would happen if this "ban" on us fielding him is applied, runs for many months (thus depriving us of his services long term) and then charges are not pursued or he was found not guilty? I think we and the player would have a very strong case for compensation against the SFA. We're not Celtic though.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Correct.......he has been bailed to January.........IF he is then charged.......

a trial date will be set possibly a few months later........

possibilites the trial would not start/adjournments/legal arguements etc etc.....

this could drag out for possibly well over a year or more.

if he did it then he shat on the club, his team mates and the fans during a period of crisis and he can go fuck himself.

i'm still hoping he is innocent though.

if he did it then he shat on the club, his team mates and the fans during a period of crisis and he can go fuck himself.

i'm still hoping he is innocent though.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I'll support him until the final verdict is in. If he is innocent, then great. If he is guilty, then get him out the door. Until then, I'll just sit back and wait for the facts.

Our recent track record for dealing with criminal behaviour isn't too good, though. We signed Bob Malcolm soon after he had received his 20 month drink driving ban (for being so drunk he parked in the middle lane of the M1). And we kept hold of (our captain) Quinn even after he was found guilty of beating a guy unconscious.

If the SFA tries to ban him, I'd be fighting it all the way, as I doubt it is legal.

You would think if it took almost a year to obtain the evidence to detain Jenno then they have all the evidence they are gonna get unless they have taken everyones phones to examine any links they may have but I think that would also have meant computers and the like being seized from the suspects home address and this hasn't been reoported anywhere.

If the SFA do ban Jenno and he is proven innocent then surely he could sue them for loss of earnings like win bonus etc, and as a club could we not claim losing a top player had implications on our league position

I will support him 100 o/o unless he admits his involvement

If its true that the S.F.A want Jennings banned till this is sorted,have only seen the Express carrying the story so need to wait till offical announcement on it,then questions need to be asked.Gary O Connor charged with possessing coke,no action from S.F.A allowed to carry on playing,Ian Black charged with possessing coke,no action from S.F.A allowed to carry on playing,David Goodwillie charged with rape,no action from S.F.A allowed to carry on playing,Gary Thomson convicted of child sex charges,dont remember the S.F.A coming out and banning him from playing the next day,Steve Jennings arrested on suspected betting irregularities not charged or convicted but suspected yet the S.F.A want him banned till its sorted,something not quite right there.

The difference with Jennings is the allegation happened whilst playing an SPL game not in his private time, a bit like John Higgins, im not compairing Higgins with Jennings I'm just saying his actions if proven guilty happened whilst being on the field of play. As my previous post says I think the SFA are on dangerous ground if they do ban him.

Gary O Connor charged with possessing coke,no action from S.F.A allowed to carry on playing

Ian Black charged with possessing coke,no action from S.F.A allowed to carry on playing

David Goodwillie charged with rape,no action from S.F.A allowed to carry on playing

Gary [Craig] Thomson convicted of child sex charges,dont remember the S.F.A coming out and banning him from playing the next day

Steve Jennings arrested on suspected betting irregularities not charged or convicted but suspected yet the S.F.A want him banned till its sorted,something not quite right there.

One of these players indescretions can directly affect the outcome of a game, the other 4 have had indescretions outside of the game.

If you can't see the difference then maybe you are not quite right. :huh:

I see Stewart Regan has just tweeted that Jennings has not been banned. Interesting stuff, although nothing to say he won't be banned in the days to come. I'm with the majority on this one, innocent until proven guilty.

Stewart Regan's Twitter Page

It could just be Regan choosing his words carefully...i.e. "He's not been banned, just suspended indefinitely." Wouldn't put it past him.