'special' Club

ONeils40yarder

Having read Stuart McCall's most recent e-mail to the supporters, the part that I really picked up on was how the gaffer made mention that in his opinion Motherwell is a 'special club',.........I'm obviously (highly) biased, but I happen to agree with him, MFC is a great Club. I was in the Club shop yesterday and picked up a leaflet about the 'well society and the opening blurb also made me take stock of what our Club came from and what it means today. Two small local clubs, presumably no more than works teams, amalgamate and establish Motherwell Football Club 125 years ago....we now stand as one of the top 12 teams in the country and consistently one of the Top6, and currently in the Top2 :yahoo: .

Whilst not wanting to go down the 'punching above our weight' avenue, I've always been intrigued by the fact that Motherwell is a town of approximately 30,000 people yet that town hosts a relatively successful SPL team, whilst other towns of similar or bigger size have teams who are no where near as successful as ours. Our achievements recently and throughout the past 125 years are at the very least equal to any club of a comparitive size.

What I am trying to say is that, Motherwell Football Club is 'special', as McCall put it (hopefully sincerely).

So here's to a positive thread, what do we all think makes Motherwell FC, a great Club??

Hate to nit pick on a positive post (I agree, we are special as fuc) but I think we wheel out the population of Motherwell line a bit too much. The Well represent Wishaw too, a town basically joined onto and about the same size as Well, plus the likes of Carluke also. I remember the claret and amber displays on Carluke High Street in our 100th year - I really wanted the club ball on nthe window of Brooks... ace.

I think we wheel out the population of Motherwell line a bit too much. The Well represent Wishaw too, a town basically joined onto and about the same size as Well, plus the likes of Carluke also. I remember the claret and amber displays on Carluke

And you can include Lanark and the surrounding villages as well. In the 60s, 70s and early 80s we had a supporters bus leaving the village of Forth for Motherwell games every Saturday.

We are a special club because we're full of special supporters.

Special supporters who start pointless threads like this one for instance.

Thankfully I'm one of the non-special supporters who sees through the rose-tinted spectacles when we are doing well. Or, what some would call, a realist. Or, what the happy clappers would call, a "moaning faced c***"

:mellow:

I fully agree with the OP, and, furthermore, and at risk of repeating myself again, this is a more remarkable achivement in the fact the town is within 20 km of both Celtic and Ibrox Park, with all those assocaied issues.......

And...debouchee (sorry), we are very Special in the fact that we are second in the league and yet-

1. Have so many moaning gets who still appear not to be content.

2. Many people here have opinions on players whom they have never physically seen live on the pitch........

However; yes, please keep this thread positive.....:cheers:

SD

Thankfully I'm one of the non-special supporters who sees through the rose-tinted spectacles when we are doing well. Or, what some would call, a realist. Or, what the happy clappers would call, a "moaning faced c***"

:thumbup:

Dont know about you being a moaning-faced c**t, but you're certainly a wank

• Like 6

Hate to nit pick on a positive post (I agree, we are special as fuc) but I think we wheel out the population of Motherwell line a bit too much. The Well represent Wishaw too, a town basically joined onto and about the same size as Well, plus the likes of Carluke also. I remember the claret and amber displays on Carluke High Street in our 100th year - I really wanted the club ball on nthe window of Brooks... ace.

And you can include Lanark and the surrounding villages as well. In the 60s, 70s and early 80s we had a supporters bus leaving the village of Forth for Motherwell games every Saturday.

Every club draws support from other towns within a close proximity to their home town, but not every club has the OF at such close proximity

Every club draws support from other towns within a close proximity to their home town, but not every club has the OF at such close proximity

Killie is slightly bigger than Motherwell and whilst we don't have any big towns right next to us, Irvine is about 10 miles away.

Just too bad Ayrshire is full of h**s. The new M77 means you can be in Glasgow in 20 mins from Killie.

Was walking to Rugby Park on Saturday and saw a guy and his son getting out house next to ground with Celtic colours on. What chance you got?!

Have you tried to be Mr Smart Arse with your reply and missed the point again?

The OP doesn't make any claim about how special or otherwise the supporters are, its the club as a whole he's referring too. If anything the proceeding posters have shared your view that as fans we aren't so great.

In the context of this thread nobody really cares whether you are a happy clapper or a Grade A negative shite or whatever.

It's pretty obvious the OP is referring to our achievements and standing in the game.

Its a fact that we've done comparatively bloody well in our history when set against our peers. I stand to be corrected but I think we are the only non-city club to have won the top flight league and both cups. More recently you've 25 years now of sustained top flight football and the bulk of our history has been played out in the top flight. You've had European campaigns aplenty of late and a regular flow of talent that comes out of the club thanks to its youth development set up.

You compare to that the likes of Hamilton, Ayr, Dumbarton, Airdrie, Dunfermline and Raith Rovers to name but half a dozen similar non-city clubs. Doesn't look bad does it?

There was a question posed a few months back about what makes Motherwell a family club. For me the question of what makes us special goes in hand with that. Clearly behind the scenes there's a set up and an atmosphere that has prevailed throughout several generations that makes people feel comfortable and at home. From Bill Dickie and his however many years on the board to Alan McDonald in the kitroom to John Porteous in the physio's room to Craigan and Hammell etc on the park there are people throughout the club who have given it decades worth of service.

So aye, when you have nutters like Colin O'Neill getting Motherwell badges tattooed on them, people like Luc Nijholt happy to head to Scotland whenever the function commands it, when you have the likes of James McFadden speak in glowing terms, or in-comers with no previous connection to the club like Terry Butcher or Stuart McCall refer to the club as special I have no doubt they are speaking genuinely.

I share your view Albi that I don't feel comfortable with the self-congratulatory, best fans in the world tone some teams fans refer to themselves to, well OK mainly Celtic fans then, but that's not really the point here.

But us? Special club? Damn right we are!!

• Like 4

Just as in a individual match, luck plays a big part.

We have been very lucky on several occasions regarding relegation and I think it's fair to say if we had gone done we could easily be a Morton or an Airdrie right now.

Probably the most crucial stroke of luck was not going down during the administration season. Just look at Dundee to see how things could have happened. A bigger club than us but a playing tiny squad, bottom of the first division, barely struggling to stay alive, if they go down this season you would seriously worry that they would ever regain their status as Scotlands 6th club and they might even go under.

A lot of credit goes to Terry Butcher and John Boyle post administration. They rebuilt the club and laid the foundations for one of the most successful periods in the clubs post war history. It's just a shame that guys who I think deserve to lift silver wear haven't done so yet despite various opportunities, but who knows....maybe this season will be the one.

I think we have been very lucky with managers & that is a key factor in our success. From when i started following the 'Well with Tommy McLean in charge right through to McCall there has been very few bad managers at the club.

To convince players like Owen Coyle & Tommy Coyne to come to Motherwell, to convince Davie Cooper to leave his believed Rangers & to bring in Nijholt & the big shagger who were unheard of out of Holland & could've walked into any SPL team. Having a EPL standard keeper in Ruddy & then bring in an arguably better one when he left & convincing Nicky Law that Motherwell's the team for him.

So for me our success is good managers with an excellent eye for a player & working to budget. Sure there was McLeish & Malpas but for each diddy manager we've had there has been 2 good ones. I honestly believe that if we had gone the route of a Jimmy Calderwood, Alex McDonald or any of the other usual suspects then at best we'd be first division fodder right now instead of sitting 2nd splitting the OF.

Each to their own opinion but my opinion it's been some bloody good managers that's made this such a bloody good football team.

Have you tried to be Mr Smart Arse with your reply and missed the point again?

The OP doesn't make any claim about how special or otherwise the supporters are, its the club as a whole he's referring too. If anything the proceeding posters have shared your view that as fans we aren't so great.

In the context of this thread nobody really cares whether you are a happy clapper or a Grade A negative shite or whatever.

It's pretty obvious the OP is referring to our achievements and standing in the game.

Its a fact that we've done comparatively bloody well in our history when set against our peers. I stand to be corrected but I think we are the only non-city club to have won the top flight league and both cups. More recently you've 25 years now of sustained top flight football and the bulk of our history has been played out in the top flight. You've had European campaigns aplenty of late and a regular flow of talent that comes out of the club thanks to its youth development set up.

You compare to that the likes of Hamilton, Ayr, Dumbarton, Airdrie, Dunfermline and Raith Rovers to name but half a dozen similar non-city clubs. Doesn't look bad does it?

There was a question posed a few months back about what makes Motherwell a family club. For me the question of what makes us special goes in hand with that. Clearly behind the scenes there's a set up and an atmosphere that has prevailed throughout several generations that makes people feel comfortable and at home. From Bill Dickie and his however many years on the board to Alan McDonald in the kitroom to John Porteous in the physio's room to Craigan and Hammell etc on the park there are people throughout the club who have given it decades worth of service.

So aye, when you have nutters like Colin O'Neill getting Motherwell badges tattooed on them, people like Luc Nijholt happy to head to Scotland whenever the function commands it, when you have the likes of James McFadden speak in glowing terms, or in-comers with no previous connection to the club like Terry Butcher or Stuart McCall refer to the club as special I have no doubt they are speaking genuinely.

I share your view Albi that I don't feel comfortable with the self-congratulatory, best fans in the world tone some teams fans refer to themselves to, well OK mainly Celtic fans then, but that's not really the point here.

But us? Special club? Damn right we are!!

wow-according-to-this-thing.jpg

Really when you look at our recent history we've made a cup final. A semi final and a top 6 league finish and we've made Europe for 4 out of the last 5 seasons oh and we;re currently SECOND in the league. We really have a lot to be happy about. So we are a special club we're run by people who reallt care about MFC and most of the fans give good support. As i've said before a lot of posters on this have NEVER been to Fir Park and probably spotty teenagers with a mouse in one hand and their banger in the other i include Albi in that. :laugh:

Really when you look at our recent history we've made a cup final. A semi final and a top 6 league finish and we've made Europe for 4 out of the last 5 seasons oh and we;re currently SECOND in the league. We really have a lot to be happy about. So we are a special club we're run by people who reallt care about MFC and most of the fans give good support. As i've said before a lot of posters on this have NEVER been to Fir Park and probably spotty teenagers with a mouse in one hand and their banger in the other i include Albi in that. :laugh:

:lol::doh: