Friday Football

rightdodgyman

Better than the 12.45 ko we had against Killie.....and the old 18.05 Sunday Sky kick offs

But agree it with a previous poster this would have been a better idea against a more local club, St Midden or Killie, (which I would consider going away to on a Friday night).

Again dont see the argument its too near Christmas, as are most games in December are !!!!!:doh:

Possibly a reduced price/if you attend with a season ticket holder reduced price with a voucher from their book would be good idea.

I work a variable rota which means I work 3 Saturdays in 6, so It suits me that Saturday as I'm due to work :cheers:

Ps I heard it was Big Higgy's idea :laugh:

Shocking idea that again takes little notice of season ticket holders that have paid in advance. Will I get a refund if I can't attend? No. Only good thing about it is its not 12 noon on a Sunday. Can almost understand when kick off times are changed for TV as we (SPL) need the revenue, however to move the kick off time from 3pm on a Saturday for no reason is frankly a joke. Well seen that no home games involving Rangers or Celtic have been involved in this trial. Joke.

Totally agree I am only home now and again and my first match home was Hibs but don't think wife will be too pleased

if I attend that after being away for 7 weeks!!

I would have thought the St Mirren game would have been more sense to change to a Friday night

Well it's all about attracting more fans (i.e. not season ticket holders), so the run up to Christmas isn't a very good time to have a Friday night football experiement. Folk don't have much spare money then - nights out to pay for, presents to buy and so on.

Sorry I don't follow your argument.

Are you saying that if games kicked off at 3 pm on Saturdays in the lead up to Christmas that folk would have more spare money then?

Of course having the game on Saturdays leading up to Christmas won't mean folk suddenly have spare cash. :rolleyes: I didn't say that. :doh:

Read my post again - I said this (Friday night football) is an experiement to attract fans that usually don't go/don't have season tickets. As such, the target audience is pay at the gate punters and so you're relying on them having spare cash. The run up to Christmas is not a good time for such an experiment due to financial commitments most people have at that time of year (nights out, presents and so on = not much spare cash). If you really must do it, do it at a quieter time of the year.

I'm also against it for other reasons (even if I wasn't going to miss this game).

it doesnt really suit me.........time i finish work, collect the weans, get dinner sorted - i'll be trying to rush out the door to make it to Motherwell

but IF folk are so against it - don't go. That's the best stance you can make. There is absolutely no point moaning about it, then turning up to the game.

The board dont really care what folk say on a message board - they care how many clicks the turnstyle makes. I do agree that we need to try something to get people to FP, and that includes away fans.

Away fans already pick and choose their games (yes, there are some hardcore souls who go to every game, but on the whole, most folk pick and choose) - become the cheapest in the SPL and they will come.

As for home fans - I like the "Hartlepool" plan - but I dont know if the board would accept that. To have 8000 home fans, EVERY week, would be fantastic - and would certainly show that Motherwell were a team at the heart of the community when times are financially tough for everyone. (Anyone seen the deal Newcastle are doing for their half season tickets????)(sorry to drift off topic!)

Has it ever occurred to you that the crowds started to decrease at the same time the started messing around with the schedule.

That is not the sole reason why crowds have decreased. And it would be ridiculous to suggest that it is a major reason. There are other reasons (prices, quality, general perception of the league) which have had a bigger effect.

Hopefully the backward "SATURDAYS ARE BEST COZ IT WAS LIKE THAT IN THE 80S INNIT" crowd show themselves as the idiots they are. Like someone else said, the same idiots cry out for change then squeal like pigs when they try something different. :doh:

The times they are a-changin. Deal with it.

Friday kick-offs are not a problem, Saturday afternoon kick-offs are not the problem, Hell Sunday or Monday kick-offs are not the problem. The problem is these days are not decided when the fixtures were announced.

Saying that hopefully there are 8 unplanned fixture changes next year!

Quote from SPL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster: "There is no 'silver bullet' single solution to the various issues confronting the game in Scotland. And there is no monopoly on good ideas."

HO! Doncaster ya :wank: Here's a 'silver bullet' single solution 3 pm Saturday Kick Off! thats 1500 Saturday Kick Off!for ALL SPL games

By and large my only quibble is moving so late in the day. I guess when the fixtures are drawn up the TV companies don't know every game they want to broadcast all the way through the season. But at the least a full quarter of the season advance notice should be had.

Most people that work regular Monday to Friday jobs should find a friday evening game little less trouble than a saturday 3pm match. I have a certain sympathy for the tradional saturday 3 o clock kick off but a friday evening I think on the whole I'd prefer to a satuday or sunday early kick offs.

Plenty people also find saturday 3 o clock now less than straightforward for getting to games and there is no time in the world that I guess suits everyone. I work shifts and as yet not checked my diary to see if this makes a difference to me one way or the other if I gain great, if I lose out well shit happens.

The comment earlier on that stood out for me was someone complaining they go out on a friday night, what a diehard. Can't let a football game get in the way of a night on the lash. You couldn't go out on a saturday night, you couldn't go out after the fitba. You couldn't possibly ever changes your plans to watch a game, maybe if it was a cup semi? Can't give to much of a fuck for the fitba if it that much of a hassle to move a night out for eh. Plenty people swap shifts and take holidays to get to games, like I sympathise for those that have already had to juggle things only to see it moved but despite protestations the comment indeed sounds huffy.

The other downside is the away fan issue, it doesn't help that public transport isn't the best and getting back to edinburgh late at night is more of a hassle than a more local fixture. So on the whole I think between some practical issues the moaning faced culture that is Scotland friday nights won't really be one that takes off.

HO! Doncaster ya :wank: Here's a 'silver bullet' single solution 3 pm Saturday Kick Off! thats 1500 Saturday Kick Off!for ALL SPL games

And how would clubs make up the lack of TV money that would result from this 'silver bullet single solution', given that they couldn't show any games live any more? I very much doubt the likely slight increase in gate money would cover it...

Not sure there will be any real difference in the attendance for this game but there's also not much evidence to support the idea that more people go to Motherwell games that are on saturdays at 3pm. As for the people moaning about having other plans and it being a late change, the game is still 5 weeks away, is it just me that classes that as plenty notice?

Point is it costs me more over the season to pay at the gate (my choice) than the season ticket holders who are complaining about the game being moved to a Friday.

One of the reasons people buy a season ticket is because they want to go to every home game. If they miss one or two due to random rescheduling, then their ticket loses value. That seems like a valid reason for a complaint.

I'm sure you would complain if, after you paid at the gate, you were asked to leave the ground and refused a refund.

• Like 1

Point is it costs me more over the season to pay at the gate (my choice) than the season ticket holders who are complaining about the game being moved to a Friday.

So because you PATG you put more money into the Club?

I must have got the home and away kits (x2) for fuck all then, as well as my boy going on the recent Academy experience, and the near £200 I spent in teh Club shop just last week for Xmas pressies?

the Club/SPL are in danger of pissing people off (further) with schemes like this that devalue the season tickets that they worked so hard to promote and sell in the 1st place

Must say I think Friday night games are a cracking idea! I don't get to many games anymore as I play rugby every Saturday and I'm sure plenty other folk either play rugby or football on a Saturday who would otherwise go to the games. I would say that if you moved games to a Friday night you may get more folk, that would normally go to the football on a Saturday, out playing sports on a Saturday afternoon instead. Might go some way to getting more folk involved in sport, while not missing out on getting to the games. The only issue I can foresee would be travelling for the away support.

• Like 1

So because you PATG you put more money into the Club?

I must have got the home and away kits (x2) for fuck all then, as well as my boy going on the recent Academy experience, and the near £200 I spent in teh Club shop just last week for Xmas pressies?

the Club/SPL are in danger of pissing people off (further) with schemes like this that devalue the season tickets that they worked so hard to promote and sell in the 1st place

It doesn't devalue it though... you still get admission to the same number of games that you signed up for and I'm sure you were also fully aware that games can be moved throughout the season when you bought your ticket. Seems like yet another "I have a season ticket therefore the club should make sure everything they do suits me" discussion, can't please everyone and contrary to popular belief, having a season ticket does not make you any more important than the next guy who goes to the games.

I'm a season ticket holder - it provides a ticket to the games that Motherwell play - no more than that. I also prefer it as it hands the dosh to the club at the start of the season.

When i buy it I know that they and the SPL will fuck about with some of the fixtures during the season and sometimes I'll have a weddin, funeral, christening, holiday, ilness that gets in the way of me attending. However as far as I'm aware I'm still alive and none of my limbs have fallen off to date - due to said fuckin about.

Folk are getting a wee bit delusional about what their pounds actually buy them at this wee club of ours.

They're trying something different, with the SPL and the other club involved on board. It may or may not work - if it works great - then they'll do it again - if it doesn't then I suspect they won't.

I admit that there are more obvious ways of getting punters through the turnstyles. But I'm not throwing a mediterranean grief scene because we've moved one game to a Friday night. I haven't even looked to see if it conflicts with anything I'm doing yet - however I'm not in the slightest bit pissed off about it.

And btw when I buy something out the shop - I get that item in exchange for the cash i hand over - its purely voluntary. I don't expect a seat at the table at the next board meeting and a say in how the club is run in exchange for a 125th Anniversary shirt.

When I buy a CD - I don't expect a guest slot on bass on the next tour either.

It doesn't devalue it though... you still get admission to the same number of games that you signed up for and I'm sure you were also fully aware that games can be moved throughout the season when you bought your ticket. Seems like yet another "I have a season ticket therefore the club should make sure everything they do suits me" discussion, can't please everyone and contrary to popular belief, having a season ticket does not make you any more important than the next guy who goes to the games.

Friday nights are about the only night of the week that I will struggle to get along to and as this has come out of nowhere since the season started then of course it de-values my ticket.

I dont think season ticket holders are more important than PATG (although the Club may disagree), but I never thought that when I bought my season tickets that there was potential for Friday night matches