Friday Football

rightdodgyman

Some amount of toys getting chucked oot the pram for fuck all here.

Fuck all?? They've decided to take yet another 3pm Saturday fixture away and replace it with an evening match. An evening match that I will struggle to attend and even if I do get there neither of my two boys will.

This will suit some folk but it will incovenience just as many

So because you PATG you put more money into the Club?

I must have got the home and away kits (x2) for fuck all then, as well as my boy going on the recent Academy experience, and the near £200 I spent in teh Club shop just last week for Xmas pressies?

the Club/SPL are in danger of pissing people off (further) with schemes like this that devalue the season tickets that they worked so hard to promote and sell in the 1st place

Well done for buying merchandise fae the club shop. ;-)The club are trying to try get more punters through the gate and this is one avenue they are looking at. You all have weeks to get shift swaps, sickies organised if you think you cannie make it. Wouldnae want your Season Ticket to be devalued now would we. :whistling:

Just saying, this would probably be more convenient for me to go to a friday night game than a saturday game at Fir Park. Living in edinburgh isn't great if you're a 'Well fan but, going by the trains tonight, also a friday, I would find it much easier to get to Fir park on a friday than on a saturday by train. Ofcourse, many of you will be able to prove me wrong with this but I'm all for the Friday football. although, I do think that it should be played on a saturday at 3pm regardless of what the cameras want or what teams are playing etc.

Going by this thread those who can't make it will be just about the same as those who can make it but don't usually make Saturday games.

Waste of time then probably. Personally I hope it's a disaster and we can go back to normal, this is not the way to attract bigger crowds. Time for new ideas,not rehashed ones. Actually not even new ideas, just reduce prices across the board, stop paying players so fucking much, only move Old Firm games away from 3pm Saturdays cos they deserve nothing less, and let kids in for free along with a full paying adult.

• Like 3

Going by this thread those who can't make it will be just about the same as those who can make it but don't usually make Saturday games.

Waste of time then probably. Personally I hope it's a disaster and we can go back to normal, this is not the way to attract bigger crowds. Time for new ideas,not rehashed ones. Actually not even new ideas, just reduce prices across the board, stop paying players so fucking much, only move Old Firm games away from 3pm Saturdays cos they deserve nothing less, and let kids in for free along with a full paying adult.

I'd vote for all of that

Saturday 3pm thats when games should be . Friday night is pish especially for the away support. Stop messin with ko times its bloody well bad enough as it is now. Hows about 6.45 pm on every second Tuesday that suits me fine with work ,watchin the kids . having money left from Fridays wages and the tellys shite on a Tuesday anyway.:whistling:

I thought the Aberdeen v Dunfermline match would have a dismal attendance and was proved wrong.

Maybe you are right but surely you have to give it a chance before you write it off.

As I said before I'd rather this than getting out my bed to go to a game!

Each to their own and all that, but I probably can't go as I my misses works till 7 and I need to be here with the kids. don't think there is much chance of me making it before kick off.

If friday night football is going to become a regular theme, then I am happy to leave it to those that want it.

Moving football for cup fixtures is one thing.

Moving football for tv goes against the grain, I don't like it, but I understand it.

Moving football to a friday night for eh, "just because" is a pile of sh*te. doncanster can go take a flying f*ck to himself. and as for whoever at our club thought this was a spectacular idea.... well, I will stop now...

Time for new ideas,not rehashed ones. Actually not even new ideas, just reduce prices across the board, stop paying players so fucking much, only move Old Firm games away from 3pm Saturdays cos they deserve nothing less, and let kids in for free along with a full paying adult.

This. And if you lower the prices, increase the gate. Simples.

Also, a Friday night game, if rare and promoted well, could be exciting and different. Something to get excited about, like Monday Night Football in the NFL.

And a final point to those whining like bitches because they say they have plans A WHOLE MONTH, 4 BLOODY WEEKS, before the game. Bullshit. Stop trying to look like you're busy, you're not and you know fine well you're not.

The kick off time thats getting on my tits is next Sunday 6th November against the Mhakies 12noon......why ????,:wallbash:

At that time on the Sabbath,Sunday school,church,chapel etc etc goers will all be affected all to suit tv..........and you cant go to the pub before.......SCHOCKING !!!!!!!

The chances are that it may be difficult to tell if its a success or not. If we play the game on a Saturday what would the expected crowd be? Last year we racked up 4,213 against St Mirren on Saturday 20 November and 3,324 against Hearts on Wednesday 14 December. Against Hibs on 22 January we attracted 4,202. Our cup tie against Hibs a few weeks ago attracted 3,909.

Going by that yardstick I'd say that anything less than 4,000 would be a failure; between 4,000 and 4,400 inconclusive and anything over 4,400 a success.

The experiment has to be tried at different times of the season and involve different teams. However the trial should have been announced months ago before folk began making Christmas bash arrangements. SPL at its best. MFC will almost certainly lose out on hospitality that had been arranged for the Saturday.

And a final point to those whining like bitches because they say they have plans A WHOLE MONTH, 4 BLOODY WEEKS, before the game. Bullshit. Stop trying to look like you're busy, you're not and you know fine well you're not.

If we'r talking about a random night out with pals, then I agree with you, but incase you hadn't realised, it is December! Christmas work and sports club party nights and functions will be starting and most are booked in a lot longer than 4 weeks in advance!

I thought the Aberdeen v Dunfermline match would have a dismal attendance and was proved wrong.

Maybe you are right but surely you have to give it a chance before you write it off.

As I said before I'd rather this than getting out my bed to go to a game!

No I'm quite happy to write it off now thank you very much cos it's just wrong. Games should only be moved away from their usual slot for a good reason, whether TV is good enough for some is even debatable but this to me smacks of change for the sake of it and no other reason. It may have worked out no' bad in Aberdeen but they're no' very bright up there at the best of times. Our crowds have slipped alarmingly and a big chunk of that is the demise of the visiting support from Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in the main. Friday night fitba' won't attract them back and certainly won't bring enough new home punters in to compensate for those regulars who find they can't manage along either.

The chances are that it may be difficult to tell if its a success or not. If we play the game on a Saturday what would the expected crowd be? Last year we racked up 4,213 against St Mirren on Saturday 20 November and 3,324 against Hearts on Wednesday 14 December. Against Hibs on 22 January we attracted 4,202. Our cup tie against Hibs a few weeks ago attracted 3,909.

Going by that yardstick I'd say that anything less than 4,000 would be a failure; between 4,000 and 4,400 inconclusive and anything over 4,400 a success.

The experiment has to be tried at different times of the season and involve different teams. However the trial should have been announced months ago before folk began making Christmas bash arrangements. SPL at its best. MFC will almost certainly lose out on hospitality that had been arranged for the Saturday.

I'm not offended by Friday night fixtures, especially if it's not on TV, but it is very poor, that yet again the last people that are considered are the very people that have already committed money to the club, and its all very well the superfans saying they buy their season tickets and accept all the schedule changes, but having been there and eventually losing out so much, I see this as just another badly managed change that doesn't promote MFC or the SPL in a good light.

the proposal isn't bad, but it smacks of firefighting instead of properly planned and implemented improvements, taking into account all the stakeholders and managing it accordingly

I don't think the yardstick is even close to measuring success or failure, it doesn't take into account the negative effect on the very fans that every management team at Fir park give lipservice to, by promising to look after the core support before randoms that fancy a Friday night jaunt out

there is a balance but match scheduling (mainly due to TV) is harming attendances more than most decisions

and as for those arguing four weeks is plenty time to adapt your life around schedule changes, is that really how the league think its going to raise attendances? by making Football as difficult as possible to fit into peoples schedules and putting itself in direct conflict with their or their families other activities, baws!, every organisation and frequent activity has regular days and times in order that people can fit it into their lives and only non regular events like like concerts and champions league games :ph34r: will be make folk in general change schedules to accomodate the change, but even they are usually well in advance

If we'r talking about a random night out with pals, then I agree with you, but incase you hadn't realised, it is December! Christmas work and sports club party nights and functions will be starting and most are booked in a lot longer than 4 weeks in advance!

I was wondering whats happening to the Fir Park party nights that were heavly promoted and 'almost sold out', wonder if the function rooms were booked out for Friday nights in December or if the club had kept this one free for an unplanned football game

Glasgow Warriors generally play their home league games on a Friday night (European games are decided by TV) and it's great. Out for a couple pints, then to the rugby (plus a couple pints at the game), atmosphere is great and it leaves your weekend free! Also, with games being on a friday, it allows people to still play sport on the Saturday (which, we should be encouraging with the current state of health in this country).

As long as the SPL/SFL don't arrange games to clash with the Pro Rugby, you'd be able to encourage more rugby/hockey fans along to watch on friday since they don't normally go on a Saturday.

as an aside, there were more people at the Glasgow game on Friday night than at the Motherwell game on Saturday.

Ok been bevied since this was announced so i may have missed something. Why are people saying well done to the club for this initiative or f@#! the club for this initiative? I was under the impression that the SPL decide who plays where & when & the club has no choice but to along with it. Hence the Aberdeen Dunfermline game the Dunfermline directors where moaning like hell coz their fans had to travel to Aberdeen on a Friday night. That doesn't sound to me like a club who had agreed to that fixture change.