Sportscene

johnstone

I've stopped watching Sportscene after the Celtic Win last season where they did nothing but complain about Celtic not being able to beat a shitty wee team like motherwell. Its a disgrace of a programme and should but scrapped. Match of the day 2 gets more support from Scotland than Sportscene does... I preferred Scotsportdry.gif

Fails to focus on decent play and well struck goals for instance.

They need to - as a licenced / franchised outlet for the SPL talk the game up, highlight good play and promote the product.

These sum it up for me . a good example would be the Hibs game a couple weeks ago, the highlight - both on tv and online - were so disappointing. all of our play in the first half, about 30/40 passes without them getting a touch was all ignored.

I can't watch Match of the Day thanks to Lineker - who after all these years still sounds like he is reading from autocue. And the banality of Shearer, Lawrenson etc. make it excruciating.

Sportscene isn't great, but they are somewhat restricted in what they can show. Be happier if they just cut out the guests and showed some SFL action, mind you.

The EPL show we get over here is just 60 mins of highlights with a few voiceovers to link the games. That works just fine for me.

It's always worth watching the highlights on the BBC website even if you do watch Sportscene -- the website highlights are often a minute or two longer, and sometimes even have completely different commentary. (Not necessarily better, mind you...)

Compare the Motherwell highlights this weekend. If you didn't know that the Inverness boy wasn't sent off for the challenge on Hammell, you might have thought he was going to be from the online highlights, but the Sportscene one left you in no question it was a yellow only. Not sure why they change the commentator or why they change the style either.

Generally the only time I'll watch Sportscene, outside the odd live Scotland or League Cup game, is when they cover the Scottish Cup on a Saturday night, when I believe the highlights should really be on.

The explanation that was put up previously that Setanta, with their investment in the SPL, had to have the opportunity to show their live games and goals before anyone else is surely obsolete now,

When you have Alba showing an SPL game as-live less than an hour after full-time and Sky Sports News showing the SPL goals only shortly after then I don't see a reason why we cannot have a return to a highlights package on a Saturday night.

At the risk of drifting into sad old bastard territory thinking back it seems like a golden age in the 1980's where you could watch extended highlights of a game - and not necessarily a top flight Scottish game - First Division 'Well were top billing on several occasions, then latterly in the decade highlights from the other Premier League games, then in the same programme get action from down south.

I remember when they used to show proper highlights of Scottish sides in European competition too home and away, going up to bed for an hour and the old man waking me up and watching the Swiss, Germans and Irish being put to the sword by Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. Not an 8-1 win squeezed into sixty fucking seconds on the news!!

Stick it on BBC2 or even Alba an hour before Match of the Day starts if you don't want to interfere with the English stuff on Match of the Day but I yearn for the return of a decent Scottish highlights programme on a Saturday night, highlights of the SPL, goals from the First Division and even the odd feature further down the leagues. Until then though I'm pretty much a lost viewer for Sportscene.

The thing is.

It wallows in the negativity and focuses almost entirely on bad tackles and moments of controversy.

Fails to focus on decent play and well struck goals for instance.

It's dull its dreary its negative in terms of content, people and approach.

Guests look like their caught in the headlights and talk like church ministers.

They need to - as a licenced / franchised outlet for the SPL talk the game up, highlight good play and promote the product.

It could easily be soooooooo much better.

Spot on. What are the 'pundits' actually there for? They get no chance to/give no insight into the game/play whatsoever. They just state the obvious "yea good goal". "Bad Tackle" "Motherwell are doing well under Stuart Mccall". WE FUCKING KNOW THESE THINGS!!!

It might not be everyone's cup of tea but at least Hansen and Shearer (and importantly together with their researchers/producers) give you actual analysis of each game. Highlighting good off-the-ball runs, defensve lines, offside traps, positioning - all neatly rolled together into a cute package with the same technolgy available in the Sportscene studio - and you see these things with the shading/arrows/encircled players that you wouldn't normally catch.

In an average 3 goal game sportscene will typically show the 3 goals a near miss and the worst tackle WITHOUT real time commentary, cut to the studio show the same clips AGAIN with Levein/Paterson/Craigan saying 'good goal/bad defending/some miss/gret save' to each clip!!

I can fucking see that!!!

Once (and I mean once - I do watch this shit as my last ditch attempt to stay in the weekend for 40 minutes longer before Monday comes around!) they brought a couple of on-screen graphics into a game - and it was a 'well game showing Jim O'Brien's spin and turn at throw ins that he got quite good at and they done a bit of homework and showed clips of him doing it all season.

But that's just the basics. The commentary voiceover is out of order too - especially when EVERY game gets live commentary recorded!! Lazy and nothing worse than Johnathan Scrotebag saying 'And an amazing overhead kick coming up from 22 yards after this 19 pass move...............goal.'

Fuck me.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea but at least Hansen and Shearer (and importantly together with their researchers/producers) give you actual analysis of each game. Highlighting good off-the-ball runs, defensve lines, offside traps, positioning - all neatly rolled together into a cute package with the same technolgy available in the Sportscene studio - and you see these things with the shading/arrows/encircled players that you wouldn't normally catch.

I must be watching a different show, as I find their 'analysis' to be about insightful as the rest of their comments. Putting a big arrow pointing to the space a guy ran into doesn't make the comment any more intelligent.

I hate to say it, but I find the analysts on US sports much more knowledgable and, when required, not afraid to rattle a few of the players' cages. 5 seconds after a play in American Football, the guys in the booth have everything broken down and can explain in great detail what went right (or wrong), who missed coverage, why the QB threw an interception, why a lineman didn't get the correct angle to block, and give a history of the last 10 times the QB made the same play and how well it worked out for him.

For me, the guest analysts during World Cups, Euros etc. are the ones that most often deliver the goods. Strachan, O'Neill, Gullit identify and explain things few people consider (especially the idiots presenting the programme).

If you ever read one of Jonathan Wilson's columns in The Guardian (never mind one of his books) you can get a flavour of how interesting real analysis can be. His depth of knowledge of tactics, how and why they have evolved etc. is incredible. He is the kind of person that should be on MotD - not some moronic footballer who creases up at the sound of his own farts.

There are few ex-palyers who can speak intelligently about the game, and ever fewer who aren't so far up the backsides of the establishment that they will actually voice an honest opinion.

• Like 2

I hate to say it, but I find the analysts on US sports much more knowledgable and, when required, not afraid to rattle a few of the players' cages. 5 seconds after a play in American Football, the guys in the booth have everything broken down and can explain in great detail what went right (or wrong), who missed coverage, why the QB threw an interception, why a lineman didn't get the correct angle to block, and give a history of the last 10 times the QB made the same play and how well it worked out for him.

Unless Tony Siragusa is one of the analysts.

• 2 months later...