Enhancing The Matchday Experience

MFC Supporters Advisory

Before I make my point, let me point out that I have a lot of respect for the SAC due to the great deal of help they gave us in the lead up to our Cup Final display but come on, are we really on the correct lines? Yes we want to improve the overall matchday but we also want to bring more punters through the door. Will replacing the current mascots with an IronMan like figure make any difference to attendances or the match day experience for that matter? I'd say the answer is no.

What I have noticed this season more than ever is the young Well fans watching people singing, bouncing and playing the drum, infact most of them seem to watch the guys singing more than they watch the players on the park. With that in mind I will give you an example of what we seen in Norway which I think could be implemented at Fir Park. Over in Norway its a completely different kettle of fish and whilst I understand certain things will never be the same due to cultural differences, I honestly believe we should adopt some of the same aproaches. You have men, women and children of all ages standing together and enjoying themselves, something which I believe is very different to over here where most people go out of habit. At Valarenga in Oslo they have a section of the stadium for kids aged around 8-14ish who are grouped together and make up the "mini-club" where a few older guys from the proper singing section take games in turn to get the youngsters in full voice, complete with waving flags, drums etc. The kids love it and it encourages them to attend from a young age then when old enough they can move to the proper singing section with friends who they have bonded with throughout the years. The kids at Valarenga seemed to be loving their matchday experience and it was very pleasing to see.

My highlight though was from the Cup Final between Aalesund and Brann where instead of 1 mascot they had 11 from each side. It wasnt like your stereotypical mascot experience though where the kid runs out with the team, what they done was have 11 cones like you would use for a dribbling excercise at football training lined up in a 4-4-2 position and 1 by 1 each kids name was read out through the tannoy and they ran out to an excellent reception for the crowd. For me you could see the pride in the kids faces and I could imagine it would be a lifelong memory. Now, you may argue what is different from this and the current mascot set up but I think it may bring a few more faces through the door. When I was a mascot many moons ago my mum and aunt who never go to the football came along. Imagine you had 11 mascots all bringing an extra body at least, it all adds up!

Now moving on to what we have place at the moment, no disrespect to the Cash Convertors Challenge or the Cheerleaders but how about setting up 4 mini parks and having children having mini games, yes we have had it before but not consistently. Its all about making people happy and giving them a day to remember.

Just suggestions though.

Sorry about the mega-quote here, but this is all very sensible, cheap and positive stuff.

Get this man involved.

I also agree with everything in Dee's post except from the use of the words 'seen' and 'done' in place of 'saw' and 'did' - a fine opinion ruined by a failed comprehension of past tense.

I propose english challenges for kids at half time to stimulate their young well fan minds. Get them playing blockbuster, we can even put the scoreboard to good use. Claret and Amber could be quizmasters!

I also agree with everything in Dee's post except from the use of the words 'seen' and 'done' in place of 'saw' and 'did' - a fine opinion ruined by a failed comprehension of past tense.

I propose english challenges for kids at half time to stimulate their young well fan minds. Get them playing blockbuster, we can even put the scoreboard to good use. Claret and Amber could be quizmasters!

This right here. The whole lot of it. :notworthy:

But aye, in seriousness the well supporters fans advisory society comitee thingy should be focussing on encouraging an atmosphere and just the general 'enojoyment' of the game, rather than superficial things like mascots. Get flags n banners n booze :ph34r: to games and we're onto a winner.

we should promote these blokes .....:yahoo::drinks::thumbup:

Anyone see the wee man down the front? he's itchin to get in on the action.

First Time i took my nephew to a game, all through the first half all he said was when are the bears coming back ? ?

The Kids love them, Keep them. Why not have a good guy bad guy thing going on with Claret and Amber the heros.

THE RAVENSCRIAG RENEGADE who steals all the kids footballs Claret and Amber save the day then kick all the balls into the stands for kids. I can mind we done that in the late 80 mibby early 90's before the cooper stand was built! I'm sure my uncle caught one that day ?

Anyone see the wee man down the front? he's itchin to get in on the action.

First Time i took my nephew to a game, all through the first half all he said was when are the bears coming back ? ?

The Kids love them, Keep them. Why not have a good guy bad guy thing going on with Claret and Amber the heros.

THE RAVENSCRIAG RENEGADE who steals all the kids footballs Claret and Amber save the day then kick all the balls into the stands for kids. I can mind we done that in the late 80 mibby early 90's before the cooper stand was built! I'm sure my uncle caught one that day ?

its the same with my wee boy he loves the bears,i think they need to get in the stands,to mix with the kids.

Getting The Steelettos a bit nearer the stands away from the POD and with a bit less on would probably enhance most peoples matchday.

Changing the fekin tunes every few weeks would help as well. Sick of listening to the same old shite.

Maybe a wee bit on the website to nominate tunes for a playlist??

I agree we should keep the bears but get them to do more. Sammy the Tammy is/was a crap looking mascot but he was usually entertaining.

If you want to focus on a Matchday experience for kids:-

1. Kids snackboxes in the pie stall, (or alternatively don't run out of hotdogs as the first half ends);

2. Kids matchday magazine. Why I buy an 8 year old the programme I have no idea;

3. The opportunity to get on the park by way of competitions, lucky dips, etc

4. Promote the Clart & Amber club more. I've 2 kids who go to just about every home game on their Season Tickets. Never heard from the Claret & Amber Club.

Kids just want to feel part of it.

• Like 4

totally agree with hippo

£3.50 for a hot dog - bargain!!!!!!!!!

it seems to me that folk have got together, to come up with suggestions to improve the match day experience - but are totally over-thinking ideas.

Think simple, get it right and get good at it. We dont need new mascots - how much would this cost to design the mascot you were thinking about?

Instead of spending (i presume) thousands, buy face paints, colouring books, cheap MFC autograph books........get Claret and Amber to do some overtime and get them in the Cooper for it opening, make one of the unused boxes a kids club?

Does it really cost that much money to print off photographs of the players and every week, get one of the to make an appearance *pre-match and hand out FREE signed photos?

I understand they have a warm up to do, pre match tactics blah blah - but if they are there earlier enough, its possible. Some folk could say that the players "free-time", but we only play "18" home games every season, so you are asking them to do it once a season

as hippo says KIDS WANT TO FEEL PART OF IT

and Dee's idea above is top notch, get the cheer leaders on pre-match, if you have to have them at all, and let the kids play on the park at half time on a fun4s game(and i dont mean the offical MFC under whatever - i mean the ones that are in the stand)

Don't need one, they apply for it in a public place no? The fitba isn't really public since your charged an entry fee etc.

The link in my post suggests otherwise... "our licence tariff for sports events, Tariff SE, is used to assess music use leading up to and within an event (including boxes). Charges are tailored to reflect the amount of music played and the number of admissions to each event."

As well as music played over the PA, that page also says that payment may also be required for music that a sports venue plays in its "pubs, bars, restaurants, changing rooms, corridors and foyers", and even the "on-hold music" on its telephone system.

This thread just confirms my suspicions that the Supporters Advisory Committee is a waste of fucking time.

Who honestly gives a flying fuck about the mascots?

wallbash.gif

Well some people further up the thread have said their kids care about the mascots.

I'm not saying this should be a top priority, but unless we have a couple of big stuffed bears in the area that were raised in the woods as Motherwell fans, then somebody needs to organize them.

For me, it's better the Advisory Committee takes care of these things and let the Board get on with the bigger issues.

Hearing all this just confirms it all for me. Tickets to home games are about 4 times the price they should be - the match day experience has a long way to go before it can live up to the price.

The amount of simple things that could be done to improve it (rather than shitty ideas over the mascots) is unreal.

I really hope our club are the first to get their act together in this country and do something sensible to compete with sky subscriptions and trips to the cinema.

Maybe by the time I have a kid old enough to attend I will be able to treat him/her to a proper day out at the fitba. If the current trend continues, we are off to the Vue.