Enhancing The Matchday Experience

MFC Supporters Advisory

Getting catering prices at a reasonable level would be a big start. Most folk will not pay £3.50 for something you could put together yourselve for less than a quid. Getting fans involved on things on the pitch might well be a way forward on this, to take part in something on the turf is usually always a big thing - you only need to ask anyone who has ever played on the pitch in years gone by.

Had a massive chat with our Aalesunds friends in Oslo about all of this at the weekend there. In Norway they had a similar situation as we find ourselves in here roughly 10 years ago, people were deserting the game as it was over priced and over policed and they knew something had to be done in order to turn it around. The breaking point was a Valarenga V Aalesund game that had been moved to a Monday night with a crazy kick off time in order to satisfy the tv schedule. For the first 10 minutes of the game every supporter in the stadium sat down in complete silence and made absolutely no noise at all. No goals were scored in this time but if one had then no one would have celebrated, after 10 minutes they burst into their usual song and dance and got on with it. They were trying to make the point that unless authorities start to work with supporters then there wont be any left at all. The powers that be finally realised that the fans are what make the game what it is. The group now leave their flags and drums etc with the club who take them to away games on the team coach and have it all set up for them when they arrive at the stadium. There is a respect over there between the groups and the clubs that makes all of this work. Its something that we are trying to replicate here but its one step forward and ten steps back at the minute due to crazy incidents like up in Dundee. The club have been great with us but until the SFA and the police realise that we arent criminals and are there to enhance the overall experience of the day, people can make pies cheaper, bring out stupid "ironman" mascots and let kids lead out the team until they are blue in the face but while the supporters who make the game what it is are arrested for the crime of supporting your team, Scottish football will continue to be a pile of shite and will only decline further.

• Like 11

Meant to add that since the authorities woke up and began to work with the supporters in Norway the league has flourished. Different teams winning the league most seasons, different teams winning the cups and small towns like Aalesund having 10,000 crammed into the stadium every week. We know that things here are different so we'l never reach the same level as them but the difference it could make is massive. People need to start campaigning with the groups and we might finally get something done about it.

Meant to add that since the authorities woke up and began to work with the supporters in Norway the league has flourished. Different teams winning the league most seasons, different teams winning the cups and small towns like Aalesund having 10,000 crammed into the stadium every week. We know that things here are different so we'l never reach the same level as them but the difference it could make is massive. People need to start campaigning with the groups and we might finally get something done about it.

Aye we need the authorites working with us, Motherwell can't do anything on their own. Reducing prices for instance will impact on our ability to compete where we want to be if we do it in isolation. Everyone else will take advantage of our lack of funds for players wages etc. Afraid I have no confidence in our authorities to turn things round, I'll back whatever campaigns are being organised in the hope that it might make a difference but I have to be honest and say I see no way out for us. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone in a position of power will stand up and make a difference, but it's difficult to see who would have the balls to tackle such a massive problem.

Aye we need the authorites working with us, Motherwell can't do anything on their own. Reducing prices for instance will impact on our ability to compete where we want to be if we do it in isolation. Everyone else will take advantage of our lack of funds for players wages etc. Afraid I have no confidence in our authorities to turn things round, I'll back whatever campaigns are being organised in the hope that it might make a difference but I have to be honest and say I see no way out for us. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone in a position of power will stand up and make a difference, but it's difficult to see who would have the balls to tackle such a massive problem.

Great post FC. Its extemely limited what MFC can achieve on its own by adjusting entry prices. Clubs and their supporters have to act in unison. However there will always be at least one club which seeks to steal a cheap march on the others.